- Yield: 12 Servings
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
For the pastry
- 11 fl oz (300 ml) warm water
- 2¼ tsp fast-action dried yeast
- 16 oz (450 g) gluten-free plain flour mix, plus extra for dusting
- 1½ oz (45 g) cornflour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- a pinch of gluten-free baking powder
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tbsp salt
- 3½ fl oz (100 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- sea salt
For the topping
How to Make It
- For the pastry, mix together the warm water and yeast in a mixing bowl. Set aside somewhere warm until frothy, about 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the flour mix with the cornflour, xanthan gum, baking powder, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl, making a well in the centre.
- When ready, pour in the yeast mixture and mix with your hands until it just comes together.
- Add the olive oil and chopped rosemary and mix well to form a loose, soft dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 8-10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Sprinkle the surface with a little extra flour if necessary, but try not to add too much as this will make the dough dry.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in an oiled bowl. Cover and leave in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1-1½ hours.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/Gas Mark 3. Line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Arrange the spring onions on the baking tray, drizzle over the balsamic vinegar, then sprinkle over the sugar and a pinch of salt. Toss to coat, then bake for 8-10 minutes until soft. Set aside.
- Line a 20x30 cm (8x12 in) rectangular baking tin with grease proof paper.
- Turn out the dough and knead gently for a few seconds. Carefully lift the dough into the baking tin and gently push it to the sides using your fingertips.
- Arrange the spring onions on top and dot with the rosemary sprigs. Sprinkle generously with sea salt and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Cover loosely with a sheet of oiled clingfilm and leave in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas Mark 7.
- Remove the clingfilm, then bake the cake for 10-15 minutes until just golden at the edges. Reduce the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6 and cook for a further 20 minutes, until the pastry is cooked through and the topping is burnished and golden-brown.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with more oil. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out and serving warm, sprinkled with rosemary and sea salt.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.