What’s better than our original Cinnamon Sugar Donuts? Well, it’s a matter of preference, of course, but if you love filling your kitchen with the aromatic fragrance of coconut shavings toasting in the oven as much as we do, then Toasted Coconut may win the medal for donut of the month in your kitchen. This divine donut is dunked in a coconut-infused glaze and then dipped in oven-toasted coconut shavings to give it a warm, golden glow. Its sprinkles are au naturel! For a quick and colourful pink twist, swap out the toasted coconut for raw coconut shavings tossed with a few drops of beet juice or red food dye.
- Yield: 12 donuts
- 1 batch cinnamon sugar donuts
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Prepare the donuts and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pans. To toast the coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the coconut evenly over the bottom of a cake pan or a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, give it a good stir, and then bake until golden and fragrant, checking every 2 minutes to ensure the coconut doesn’t burn. Transfer to a flat plate. For the vanilla dip
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Melt the butter, then whisk in the sugar, milk, and vanilla, whisking continuously until the mixture is smooth and somewhat thick.
- Using your hands, dip one side of each donut in the vanilla dip, then dip the glazed side into the toasted coconut, coating thoroughly. Place on a cooling rack with a sheet of parchment paper beneath to catch drips. Let set for 10 minutes. Eat the same day.