Having good oral health plays an integral part in maintaining overall wellness. When you take your oral health seriously, you can maintain a bright smile and, more importantly, avoid the risks of acquiring diseases. And, when it comes to having good oral hygiene, it’s not only limited to having fresh breath, but it’s also about keeping your teeth clean at all times.
Below is an in-depth discussion on why you should protect your teeth and keep them clean.
A Confident And Healthy Smile
Brushing your teeth can help prevent the risk of having bad breath or halitosis. It can also be one of the best ways to remove debris and other stains or discoloration off of your teeth. Although stained teeth aren’t really dangerous to your oral health, they can prevent you from keeping a bright and confident smile.
If you want to get rid of stains that make your teeth look unhealthy and keep your breath smelling fresh, then you should do regular cleaning. But, if you’re dealing with stubborn stains, a teeth whitening service from experienced dentists can be a perfect option. For instance, you can try the in-chair whitening where your dentist can whiten your teeth in just an hour, tray whitening where you’re asked to wear a tray at night or for a specific amount of time, or you can attach whitening strips on your teeth over a period of two weeks.
But, if you want to get more valuable information about the options mentioned above, you may check out this teeth whitening guide.
Ensures Better Gum Health
Within your mouth thrive multiple bacteria species. Unfortunately, not all bacteria are beneficial for your body. Some of them may cause illnesses. Because of this, it’s essential to keep your teeth clean and healthy by brushing and flossing.
When you do this, you can minimize the buildup of harmful bacteria in your mouth, which can result in the production of plaque on your teeth. Too much plaque inside your mouth can cause gum diseases, such as periodontitis and gingivitis.
Therefore, if you don’t want to experience gum bleeding, swelling, and even loss of teeth, make sure to maintain healthy teeth regularly. Doing so can help ensure better gum health for a long time.
Reduces The Risk Of Some Serious Diseases
Having poor gum health can increase the risk of having certain kinds of diseases. If you can’t keep your teeth clean and healthy, below are some of the illnesses you should be wary of:
- Cancer – The buildup of substances and other bacteria in your mouth can trigger the growth of specific cancer cells inside your body. Due to this health risk, it’s best to always pay attention to your oral health. Brush your teeth regularly and keep them healthy at all times.
- Type 2 Diabetes – Having gum disease can also cause type 2 diabetes because your body will find it difficult to regulate the levels of your blood glucose. The inflammation caused by the bacteria in your mouth will spread throughout your body, making it hard to keep your blood glucose at a normal level. Excessive glucose can trigger the progression of diabetes inside your body.
- Heart Attack Or Stroke – The bacteria that cause gum diseases can also heighten the risk of heart disease by going to the bloodstream, thus increasing your risk of stroke or heart attack.
- Dementia And Alzheimer’s Disease – People who have been struggling with gum disease for a long time are susceptible to developing dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, and other related illnesses.
- Respiratory Infections – Having unhealthy teeth and gums can also cause some respiratory infections. The more you inhale the bacteria in your mouth, the higher the chances of getting exposed to pneumonia and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Brushing your teeth on a daily basis should be one of your priorities if you want to avoid any of the above-mentioned diseases. And, in addition to good oral health habits, you must also visit your dentist and get your gums and teeth checked-up regularly. That way, you can maintain your oral health and keep yourself away from certain health problems.
Helps Women Conceive Healthy Babies
Having healthy teeth and gums isn’t only crucial for preventing the risks of some serious health illnesses. It can also help women conceive healthy babies. If your gums are in good shape, you are less likely to give birth before 35 weeks. Because of this, you can ensure a healthy baby moving forward.
Prevents The Risk Of Infertility
In addition to having a healthier pregnancy, women who want to conceive babies need to maintain oral health as well. If you’re a woman and have gum disease, it may take a long time before you’ll get pregnant because the inflammation in your mouth may spread to your reproductive organs. As a consequence, you’ll be exposed to an increased risk of infertility.
Ways To Maintain Good Oral Hygiene
Just like the other aspects of your health, maintaining good oral hygiene is extremely important. Below are the best oral care practices you can follow to ensure great oral health:
- Brush your teeth two times per day using a fluoride toothpaste to remove stains from your teeth and enjoy fresh breath.
- Floss your teeth at least once a day to get rid of debris that stays between your teeth. That way, you can avoid the accumulation of plaque inside your mouth, thereby lowering the risk of severe illnesses.
- Drink water between meals so the debris and other stains will be flushed out immediately.
- Set an appointment with a dentist to make sure your oral health is maintained. A dental professional knows precisely what to do when it comes to making sure your teeth and gums are in good shape.
Taking care of your oral health is one of the best decisions you can make for the benefit of your overall well-being. Instead of paying for expensive hospital and medical costs after acquiring severe kinds of diseases due to poor oral health, you can save up a considerable amount of money in the long run by practicing good oral hygiene, such as brushing your teeth and going on dental check ups regularly. And, to further motivate you to follow the best oral care practices religiously, always keep the health benefits mentioned above in mind.