Diabetes is a kind of disease that results in high blood sugar. In this disease, a hormone known as insulin is held responsible for separating sugar from the blood and then transferring it into the cells to be used as an energy source. During diabetes, the patients are recommended to eat different types of seafood. Seafood is highly considered to be rich in proteins. A person who is suffering from diabetes should include the intake of protein in their diet, as it helps in stabilizing the blood glucose level.
Here is a list of the top 5 kinds of seafood for diabetics that every patient should eat:
- Salmon: Salmon is one of the top foods that should be consumed by a diabetic patient. It is highly rich in Omega-3 fatty acids (EPA, DHA). Unlike other fats, Omega3 fats have always been necessary for consumption since they cannot be formed in the body automatically. Salmon is also a great source of protein, vitamin B, and potassium. Eating salmon daily may reduce the risk of heart disease and protect brain health.
- Sardines: Sardines are always a good choice to make when you have diabetes. They are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D. They have a delicious flavour and are very cheap. Sardines are always good for improving cardiovascular health. They are also rich in vitamin B12 and can help in lowering cholesterol levels. Being a diabetic patient, you must include the intake of sardines in your diet for the greater functioning of bones. They can also be used in flavouring the stews and soups.
- COD: COD is one of the most popular fish with white flesh. It is flaky and has a mild flavour. It is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B, and minerals. The best way to eat a COD fish is to grill it before and add the seasonings to it. Cod liver oil can also be taken to avoid the risk of diabetes. COD with low salt and sugar should be chosen for a diabetic patient. Before cooking, it should be marinated for the flavours to absorb it.
- Shellfish: Shellfish is always good for a healthy and balanced diet. They are loaded with healthy fats and proteins. Also, they are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, and vitamin B12. For a diabetic patient, the blood glucose level must be controlled for which, shellfish is highly recommended. It can also lower the nerve involvement of diabetes mellitus.
- Shrimp: Shrimp is a very healthy food that a diabetic patient must eat. It is rich in proteins and helps in stabilizing blood sugar levels. It helps in controlling diabetes when consumed in the right manner. Shrimp has a lot of health benefits as it is not only a source of proteins and vitamins but also iodine.
Diabetes friendly recipe
Salmon with Avocado Salsa
Make: 4 servings | Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes + standing time
1 Avocado (medium size), chopped
1 Red bell pepper, chopped
1 Small red onion, chopped
3 Tbsp (45 ml) freshly squeezed lime juice
¼ Cup (60 ml) chopped fresh cilantro
1 Clove garlic, minced
¼ (1 mL) salt
1 (15 mL) Tbsp canola oil
2 Wild salmon fillets (each 6 0z/175 grams)
How to Prepare
- In a small bowl, combine the avocado, pepper, onion, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, and salt. Cover and let stand for at least 30 minutes to blend the flavors.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sear the fillets for 10 minutes, turning once, or until opaque. Divide the salmon among 4 plates. Serve with the salsa.
Why Salmon with Avocado Salsa could be best for Diabetic Patients
- Carbs: Ditch the taco shell and pair this naturally low-carb dish with a higher-carb side like Baked Risotto.
- Fiber: Avocado is a great source of fiber, and the bell pepper adds fiber as well.
- Favor healthy fats: While this dish seems high in fat, most of that represents good fats from both the salmon and the avocado.
Shrimp Tacos with Avocado
Make: 4 servings | Prep time: 10 minutes | Total time: 15 minutes
1 Hass avocado, cubed
3 tbsp Finely chopped red or white onion (45 mL)
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (30 mL)
(or 2 tsp/10 mL ground coriander)
½ Jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice (15 mL)
½ tbsp salt, divided (2 mL)
1 lb Fresh Medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (500 g)
1½ tsp Chili powder (7 mL)
1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)
8 Corn tortillas 6-inch (15 cm)
1 cup Shredded romaine (250 mL)
How to make
- In a small bowl, toss together the avocado, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, and 4 tea spoon (1 mL) salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp, Chili powder, and remaining salt.
- In a large non stick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Cook the shrimp, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until opaque. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- One at a time, heat the tortillas in a dry skillet over medium-high heat for 1 minute, turning once, or until hot and lightly toasted. Place 2 tortillas on each of 4 plates. Divide the romaine, shrimp, and avocado mixture among the tortillas.
Why Shrimp Tacos with Avocado could be best for Diabetic Patients
- Carbs: The best way to make a taco healthy and satisfying is to select 6-inch (15 cm) corn tortillas over the larger white flour ones. This move cuts the carbs while adding some fiber.
- Fiber: The fiber in this dish comes not just from the tortillas, but also the avocado.
- Fats: Shrimp and avocado team up in this recipe to bring you both omega-3 fatty acids and essential MUFAs.
Conclusion: Diabetic patients should always include seafood in their diet in the right manner. Seafood is a good source of proteins, vitamins, nutrients, and acids, etc. They can help in controlling diabetes.