|Cannonball tree Quick Facts|
|Scientific Name:||Couroupita guianensis|
|Origin||Rainforests of South and Central America|
|Colors||Reddish to brown (Fruit)|
|Shapes||Globose, woody, capsule, canonball shaped; Diameter: 12-25 cm (Fruit)|
|Flesh colors||Bluish to green|
|Taste||Astringent, earthy and bitter|
|More facts about Cannonball tree|
Cannonball is a large, deciduous and tropical tree which performs well in well-drained soils and grows upto 35 m high. It has simple, alternate arranged, oblong to obovate leaves which is about 10 inches long and 4 inches wide. The flowers are zygomorphic, yellow with red or pink measuring 5-6 cm across and 6 cm wide. The woody, capsule fruits are globose, canonball shaped having 12-25 cm as a diameter. Each fruit contains 200 to 300 seeds. The fruit has hard shell and bluish to green flesh.
- The plant extract is used to treat stomach aches and colds.
- The juice extracted from the leaves is used to treat skin diseases.
- In South America, the Shamans used tree parts to treat malaria.
- The pulp is used to disinfect wounds.
- Young leaves are used to provide relief from toothache.
- The bark is used to cure colds.
- The extracts of the tree parts is used to cure pain, hypertension, tumors and inflammation.
- The fruit pulp is rubbed on sick dogs to cure them of mange.
- The juice extracted from leaves is used to cure skin ailments.
- In Ayurveda, the juice of the fruit is used as expectorant for bronchitis and chronic cough.
- Unripe fruit is harmful and might cause an allergic reaction.
- One who intake the unripe fruits may experience tingling and burning sensation on the lips and tongue.
- The flowers have good smell which could be used to add scent in cosmetics and perfumes.
- Fruits have hard shells which are used as utensils or containers.
- The pulp is used to feed muscovy ducks, pigs, turkeys and chickens.
- The wood of the tree is used to manufacture boxes, toys, rackets, parquet blocks, light artefacts and casting moulds.
- In India, Cannonball tree is regarded as a sacred tree by Hindus.
- According to the Buddhist scriptures, it is said that Lord Buddha was born on the shade of Sala Tree.
- The extracts of Cannonball tree possess antibacterial properties which is effective against E. coli, Staphyloccous and Bacillus. Fruit extracts also possess antimicrobial activity.
- The flowers are considered as a symbol of wealth in Asia.