The tea which is made from the dried yellow roots, green leaves and white flowers of the goldenseal plant is goldenseal tea. The tea is made by pouring the lukewarm water to the dried goldenseal tea and it is steeped for five to seven minutes. The goldenseal tea helps to cure skin, viral and digestion problems. It is also called Indian turmeric and yellow puccoon.
It is bitter in taste but can be sweetened with the use of sugar or honey. It can prevent sickness and infections by enhancing the immune system. It also relieves constipation, reduce swelling and ease the irritations in the nose, stomach or oral cavity. It possesses the cleansing and antibacterial properties. Goldenseal tea also contains beta-hydrastine, canadaline and berberine. The pure compounds help to prevent cancers of the cervix and mouth. One of the side effects of goldenseal tea is darker urine and hinders the ability of the body to absorb vitamin B.
Health benefits of Goldenseal tea
Goldenseal tea is an inherent to Northern United States. It has five lobed leaves, fruit like raspberry and small flowers. The goldenseal roots are bright yellow-brown in colour and have a bitter taste with wrinkle and twisted. Goldenseal tea if it is drink then it offers various health benefits such as:
1. Antiviral and Antibacterial
The presence of antibacterial and antiviral properties helps to cleanse the body and prevents the infections. It enhances the immune system which helps to eliminate the diseases. Its inflammation properties helps to relieve the swelling occurred in the mouth and nose related with the flu and cold infections.
2. Improves digestion
The antiseptic and antibacterial properties help to counteract bacteria and enhance digestion. It cures the cramps, upset stomach, gastrointestinal problems and diarrhea. It vitalizes the appetite that leads to absorb the nutrients.
3. Promotes liver health
It enhances the blood circulation in liver, spleen and pancreas that leads to the proper functioning of the organs.
4. Guards against microbial threats
The presence of alkaloids helps to prevent the microbial threats. It prevents from the microbes such as Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Helicobacter pylori, Staphylococcus, Candida and Klebsiella species.
5. Boost heart health
Berberine in goldenseal protects the cardiovascular system. It eliminates endothelial dysfunction. The study which was published in February 2009 in cardiovascular research states that Berberine preserves the cardiac system endothelial cells against endothelial injury. The blood vessels and cardiovascular problems are minimized with the alkaloid.
6. May provide other benefits
The intake of goldenseal tea enhances the immune system. According to the University Of Maryland Medical Center, goldenseal enhances the number of white blood cells which helps to counteract infections.
Goldenseal Tea Side Effects
- The consumption of Goldenseal tea in excessive amount results in paralysis or central nervous system depression. The recommended amount is 2 cups in a day and not for more than one month.
- The intake of goldenseal tea before bed causes nervousness or anxiety.
- It is not recommended to drink the Goldenseal tea by the breastfeeding and pregnant women without the consultancy of doctor.
- It should not be drink with ginger root, dandelion root and cinnamon because it may raise the secretion of acid in stomach.
- As it treats the respiratory problems effectively, the high dose may result in dyspnea.
- Excessive consumption of goldenseal tea should be avoided to avoid the side effects.
Make the powder of the dried goldenseal plant’s leaves. Boil a cup of water with 2 teaspoons of powder for 10 minutes on a low flame. Then strain the liquid after 5-7 minutes. Honey could be added for the sweetness. It could be drink hot or warm.