Cinnamon is undoubtedly an incredibly well-liked spice that many put in their tea or on their own toast frequently. What most don’t realize, however, is that cinnamon in its oil form, has got amazing health advantages. The advantages of cinnamon oil far outweigh those of any other form, but since it may cause irritations, many people don’t use the oil.
Originally located in the exotic parts of Asia, particularly Sri Lanka and India, cinnamon is really a wonderful little shrub whose uses were quickly put to work in Ayurveda. Cinnamon is currently utilized all over the world as a means of treating health problems along with a range of severe disorders. Here we will take a look at a few of the significant health advantages of cinnamon oil along with the disorders it’s been recognized to cure.
Health benefits of Cinnamon Oil
Cinnamon essential oil is a kind of essential oil which is occasionally utilized in aromatherapy. Typically sourced through the bark or leaves of the cinnamon tree, cinnamon essential oil is considered to provide a number of health advantages.
Cinnamon essential oil includes a variety of compounds considered to effect health. These compounds consist of cinnamaldehyde that has been discovered to lessen inflammation and behave as an anti-microbial (a substance that destroys or suppresses the development of microorganisms, which includes bacteria and fungi).
1. Basic Health Benefits
While cinnamon oil has been discovered to be helpful for numerous health problems, there are some which are very basic and probably well-known. The very first use for cinnamon oil is really as a mouth purifier as well as breath freshener. The oil has been utilized quite commonly for a while in chewing gums as well as toothpastes since it is a very good way to rapidly eliminate bad breath.
The fairly sweet aroma of cinnamon is extremely beneficial and is also frequently utilized in perfumes along with other aromatic body products. Diffusing the oil is additionally believed to offer an uplifting effect on the mood. Likewise, diffusing cinnamon oil and inhaling the aroma is an excellent method to assisted in the recovery of colds, flus, and congestion. The powerful aroma released through the oil aids you to clear the sinuses, helps with breathing easily, and it has an uplifting effect on the sufferer.
In cooking, cinnamon is considered to be a fantastic digestive aid. Numerous cultural dishes include cinnamon so as to aid in avoiding indigestion, upset stomach, along with other stomach ailments. Since it also helps with eliminating acidity, it’s additionally a wonderful aid for diarrhea as well as morning sickness.
Quite strangely, cinnamon is additionally frequently utilized as a mosquito repellent. Research indicates that cinnamon oil is definitely an immediate way to kill mosquito larvae, that has cinnamon on its way to possibly becoming the key to fixing the global mosquito issue. Cinnamon oil also offers anti-bacterial as well as anti-fungal qualities which make it an effective way to combat infections.
2. Benefits for Women
For women, cinnamon oil includes a wide array of advantages only for you. Throughout menstruation, cinnamon is a wonderful option for naturally reducing cramps along with other pain. Cinnamon has additionally been discovered to totally postpone the return of menstruation soon after childbirth that helps with preventing earlier conception. Breastfeeding mothers may also find that cinnamon helps the secretion of breast milk.
A number of research has also demonstrated that cinnamon oil actually increases brain function. In short, this oil is really a natural brain tonic which enables enhance memory and remove tension and nervousness. One research stated that people who frequently had cinnamon oil were able to better process intellectual activities like memory, visual-motor response, as well as recognition.
Cinnamon oil has got amazing advantages with regards to your blood too. It’s been discovered that the oil actually helps with eliminating impurities within the blood and enhances blood circulation. The blood thinning agent which is present in cinnamon oil will help with decreasing pain and boosts the oxygen supply to cells. Several research has even gone as far as to say that cinnamon oil will in fact assist in preventing heart attack.
Cinnamon oil likewise helps to prevent heavy bleeding that takes place from injury. Which means that together with aiding your blood on the inside, it may also help to facilitate healing on the outside. Together with all of the other benefits that cinnamon oil provides your blood, additionally, it preserves the opportunity to moderate your blood sugar levels. Numerous diabetics have discovered that by growing their cinnamon intake, they were in a position to decrease the quantity of insulin that they required.
Cinnamon oil, along with its a number of other qualities, has been discovered to have anti-inflammatory properties too. The oil greatly helps with reducing sore as well as exhausted muscles in addition to assisting to unwind stiffness. Cinnamon may also help to ease joint pain and it’s also frequently suggested that arthritis patients improve their cinnamon intake in addition to use the oil. For those struggling with migraines along with other headaches (even when associated with cold or any other illness), cinnamon oil is ideal for reducing headache pain and pressure.
6. Heart Disease
For those struggling with heart disease, coronary artery disease, or perhaps high blood pressure, cinnamon oil might need to be included to your list of medicines. Cinnamon oil, in accordance with several studies, features a tremendous amount of calcium and fiber within it. These assist to offer the body with additional protection from these diseases and conditions, and taking them before you decide to have problems can help in avoiding the onset altogether.
Because cinnamon oil is really powerful, it is strongly recommended that you prevent consuming it orally. Utilizing it on the skin might have fantastic effects, however it needs to be tested on the small patch of skin first, to make sure you won’t have any kind of adverse reactions to it. The simplest way to utilize cinnamon oil is simply by including it to the carrier oil or mixing it along with other essential oils that you apply. Diffusing it also lets you reap the entire advantages, so if you are not utilizing a diffuser which heats the oil just before dispersing it in the air.
7. Infection Treatment
Cinnamon oil is shown to have got effective anti-microbial as well as cancer-fighting qualities. A survey carried out in the Turkey’s Cumhuriyet University and published within the September 2010 issue of the journal “Food and Chemical Toxicology” determined that cinnamon oil might be beneficial like a topical cure for infections along with other skin problems, which includes benign tumors.
Cinnamon oil has additionally been analyzed because of its anti-inflammatory qualities. Research at National Taiwan University, published in the September 2010 edition of the journal “Pharmaceutical Biology,” reviewed cinnamon oil utilizing gas chromatography-mass spectrometry — and found it to get outstanding anti-inflammatory properties. The researchers claim that cinnamon oil could be very helpful like a natural strategy to inflammation.
9. Cancer Prevention
Scientists at Korea’s Gwangiu Institute of Science and Technology examined cinnamon, both in vitro and with animal test subjects, because of its capability to prevent the development of numerous types of cancer cells. The outcomes, published in the July 2010 issue of “BMC Cancer,” determined that cinnamon oil is fairly guaranteeing as a substitute remedy for cervical cancer, colorectal cancer, melanoma and lymphoma. The research cites cinnamon’s antioxidant, antimicrobial, anti-inflammation and anti-tumor properties as the reason behind its effects.
10. Treatment for Alzheimer’s Disease
Research in the University of British Columbia’s Kinsmen Laboratory of Neurological Research, published within the January 2010 issue of “Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease,” examined cinnamon oil in vitro for its possible ways to hinder the buildup of amyloid-beta in animals’ brains, one of the problems that causes decline in Alzheimer’s patients. Researchers discovered cinnamon to be among a group of herbal compounds which demonstrated several promise like a potential treatment.
11. Antibacterial and Antimicrobial Agent
Scientists at Louisiana State University’s Division of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, whose findings were published within the April 2010 issue of “Planta Medica,” studied cinnamon oil in vitro to see how it affected E. coli cells. The outcomes demonstrated that cinnamon oil has the capacity to behave as an anti-microbial as well as anti-bacterial agent to combat the E. coli infection.
12. Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes
The United States Department of Agriculture’s Agriculture Research Service studied cinnamon’s capability to deal with type 2 diabetes, and published its findings in he May 2010 issue of the “Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology.” Researchers saw that cinnamon was able to normalize the effects of type 2 diabetes in in vitro animal and human tests. The research determined that cinnamon may play an essential future role for treating metabolic disorder, type 2 diabetes plus some cardiovascular-related illnesses.
13. Prevent Urinary Tract Infections
One prevalent problem in hospitals is definitely the occurrence of urinary tract infections from catheters contaminated with E. coli bacteria. One current research, conducted by the University of Connecticut’s Department of Animal Science, looked at cinnamon oil just as one solution. In the July 2010 edition of “The Journal of Urology,” researchers determined that using cinnamon oil extracts to the surfaces of catheters might be able to assist in preventing urinary tract infections.
14. Oral Health
Cinnamon oil demonstrated the greatest anti-bacterial effects towards Streptococcus mutans, bacteria that produces mouth infections, within a comparison research of nine essential oils published within the January 2012 issue of the “Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice.” Other essential oils tested within the study which were efficient towards Streptococcus mutans include lemongrass, cedarwood, clove and eucalyptus. Researchers figured that these oils offer safe, natural benefits for promoting oral hygiene and preventing and treating mouth infections.
15. Colon Cancer Prevention
A tasty element of cinnamon oil, known as cinnamaldehyde, might help avoid colon cancer, in accordance with a tissue culture study of human colon cancer cells published within the May 2010 issue of the journal “Molecules.” In the study, cinnamaldehyde increased levels of the essential antioxidant enzyme in colon cells. The cinnamon oil extract additionally guarded colon cells from DNA damage. Researchers figured that cinnamaldehyde exhibits substantial potential like a safe, natural preventive for colon cancer that may be easily included in the diet.
16. It has kapha-reducing properties
Cinnamon essential oil has got kapha-reducing qualities with its bitter, hot, stinky and penetrating qualities. The expectorant, decongestant as well as demulcent properties of the oil assist in loosening the thicker phlegm and mucous secretion within the nasal passages and also the respiratory tract. The anti-tubercular activity of cinnamic acid present in Cinnamon oil also helps in dealing with tuberculosis, long-term cough and asthma.
Adding 3 drops of Cinnamon oil in steam inhalation can be hugely useful in warming up the lungs, liquefying nasal and chest congestion and eliminating phlegm and mucous in the bronchial passages. 2 drops of the oil included with vaporub and massaged gently on the throat, chest and back may also help relieve rigid nose, watery eyes, nasal congestion, headache and cough.
17. Helps release anger and dependence
The sweet smelling oil of Cinnamon has been discovered to enhance memory power as well as cognitive functioning abilities of the mind. Numerous Ayurvedic schools have suggested Cinnamon for improving memory skills.
Cinnamon essential oil enables the willpower and purifies the spirit. This helps with dealing with mental fatigue, anger, tension, anxiety, depression along with other negative feelings. This particular oil affects the Solar plexus chakra, that connects our personal fire with that of the world revolving around us.
Fears of criticism, rejection and insufficient self-confidence affect the functioning of this chakra. Utilizing 2 drops of Cinnamon oil in bath or perhaps in diffuser or vaporizer might help in increasing one’s feelings of independence and promotes one to take risks with confidence and power.
18. Clears blood impurities and promotes blood circulation
Cinnamon essential oil provides blood purifying qualities which are related to its stimulant as well as cleansing remedial values. It will help to fight the toxic substances within the blood through urine and sweat. 2 drops of Cinnamon oil included with diffuser throughout Pranayama, the technique of balanced breathing followed by a meditation might help in discarding the toxins within the blood through exhalation, enhancing Ojas or the vital energy for longevity, stimulating the cardiac functions and granting mental peace and improved blood circulation particularly to the six chakras in the body.
19. Checks the effects of fungal and bacterial infections
The essential oil of Cinnamon is an efficient immune system booster by nature. Additionally, it has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral properties that curb the development of devastating micro-organisms within the system. Combining 2 drops of Cinnamon oil along with 1 ml of almond oil and using it on the impacted parts might help in healing wounds, burns, cuts, candida, boils, itches, athlete’s foot, and ringworm and prevents the wound from turning septic.
When utilized topically, cinnamon results in a warming feeling of the skin that may be very calming to sore or painful areas. Topical treatment with cinnamon oil have been particularly analyzed with dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation) and was proven to considerably decrease intensity and duration of the pain experienced.14 These results support the use of Cinnamon essential oil for managing pain related to a number of other conditions which includes arthritis or generalized discomfort.
21. Eliminating mosquitoes
Cinnamon oil is an excellent mosquito repellent. Researchers have now demonstrated that cinnamon oil is extremely efficient at killing mosquito larvae. The Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry (a renowned scientific journal) has reported on that research, which had been carried out at the National Taiwan University. Aside from the leaves of cinnamon, its bark is also a good source of cinnamaldehyde, that is an active mosquito killing agent. This research has led the way for finding an ecologically safe solution for fixing the global menace and also disease-spreading capacity of mosquitoes.
Other Uses of Cinnamon oil
- Cinnamon oil is known to have a warming effect thus it can reduce your rheumatic and joint pains.
- You may use cinnamon oil derived from the bark for killing harmful bacteria. Combining it together with your food won’t add flavor to it but probably kill the infectious germs within your body.
- Cinnamon oil can be used as a food preservative. In case you add it to the food in diluted amounts, it’ll preserve its freshness since it works just like a preservative as well as an anti-oxidant.
- You may use cinnamon oil in managing the spread of mosquitoes in your area. Dilute a modest amount of cinnamon oil in water and sprinkle it around your home or bodies of stagnant water where you think mosquitoes hide and it’ll destroy their larvae.
- Cinnamon oil may also prevent mosquitoes from attacking you. Simply dab a tiny bit of cinnamon oil within your body lotion or dilute the oil in water and use it for washing your clothes. Mosquitoes will remain away from you because of the cinnamaldehyde content of the oil which could kill them.
- You may also use it as massage oil if combined with patchouli oil in a ratio of 1:50. It behaves as a skin astringent and may enhance your blood circulation.
- Cinnamon oil can be used as aromatherapy oil. It will help reduces stress and depression. It may enhance your mental functions by calming your mind and inducing sound sleep.
- You may also use cinnamon oil to deal with your diarrhea and flatulence. It will help to stabilize your digestive patterns.
- Use cinnamon oil together with your hot compress and your menstrual spasms will probably be reduced.
Suggested and Possible Uses of Cinnamon Oil
- Airborne Bacteria: Diffuse this particular oil throughout cold and flu season, or add to a cotton ball as well as stick within your car’s vent when you drive.
- Bacterial Infections: Modern Essentials suggests utilizing cinnamon oil aromatically (like diffusing) or topically (diluted). Try massaging within the area of infection within a carrier oil.
- Bites/Stings: Avoid infections as well as irritation simply by diluting 1 drop of cinnamon bark oil with 3 drops of carrier oil and applying within the area.
- Breathing: For respiratory issues, like asthma, begin by diffusing in the air. You may also try massaging within the chest and neck (diluted first).
- Cooking: Cinnamon oil is “Generally Thought to be Safe” (GRAS) by the FDA, and could be utilized in cooking. Start off with just one drop (or less, using a toothpick to get a small amount) up until you know your ratios.
- Diabetes: Cinnamon oil is shown to help regulate blood sugar levels. Add to your food, take 1-2 drops in a empty capsule, or use for self-massage over the area of the pancreas.
- Diverticulitis: Help reduce the inflammation and encourage healing by rubbing the diluted cinnamon oil within the abdomen daily.
- Fungal Infections: Diffuse in the air, and dilute to use topically to the area of concern or to the soles of the feet for fast absorption.
- General Tonic: Diffusing this in the air regularly is uplifting and supports the immune system. You may also utilize it topically, or even in a bath.
- Immune System Stimulate: Diffuse throughout cold and flu season, within the classroom (makes a great gift for teachers), or add to the bath or steam tent while you are fighting a bug.
- Infection: Depending on the type of infection you are able to massage the diluted cinnamon bark oil in the soles of the feet, within the area of concern, or just diffuse through the entire area.
- Libido Stimulate: Cinnamon oil is considered to be an aphrodisiac for a lot of. Try out aromatic or topical usage regularly (lower abdomen might be okay but AVOID genitals!).
- Mold: Fight fungus, mildew, and mold by applying cinnamon to the area. Utilize it within your cleaning products, diffuse it regularly in areas vulnerable to mold, or use it directly.
- Pancreas Support: As stated above (Diabetes), cinnamon oil has been discovered to support blood glucose levels and healthy pancreas function. Rub the diluted oil over the pancreas, to the soles of the feet, or use within cooking or like a supplement.
- Physical Fatigue: Cinnamon bark oil is extremely warming and may even boost circulation, blood flow towards the brain and energy levels whenever utilized aromatically. Try diffusing, or adding to a bath.
- Pneumonia: Throughout illness, diffuse cinnamon bark oil in the room to assist the healing process.
- Typhoid: This particular bacterial infection might be cleared along with cinnamon oil. Use a diluted mixture to the soles of the feet daily, or use for the full body massage. Diffuse it frequently.
- Vaginal Infection/Vaginitis: Diluted cinnamon oil may help in fighting infections. Make sure to look for sensitivity and use caution. Begin by massaging over the lower abdomen and groin area, avoiding contact with genitals.
- Viral Infections: Very antiviral, massage the diluted cinnamon oil in the soles of the feet, within the area of concern, or over the whole body.
How to Use Cinnamon Essential Oil
Whenever coupled with a carrier oil (like jojoba, sweet almond, or avocado), cinnamon essential oil can be applied straight to the skin or added to baths.
Cinnamon essential oil is also breathed in after sprinkling a few drops of the oil onto a cloth or tissue, or by utilizing an aromatherapy diffuser or vaporizer.
- Cinnamon essential oil shouldn’t be taken internally without the supervision of the health professional. Internal usage of cinnamon essential oil might have poisonous effects.Additionally, many people can experience irritation and/or allergic reactions whenever applying cinnamon essential oil to the skin.
- It’s also important to remember that self-treating a long-term condition along with cinnamon essential oil and avoiding or delaying standard care might have significant consequences.
- Pregnant women and kids should consult their primary health care providers just before utilizing essential oils.