Essential oils can’t prevent you from getting COVID-19 or cure it, but they can be used as a natural supplement to help control the symptoms. Some of the best options are eucalyptus, lavender, lemon, tea tree, peppermint and oregano.
Also known as “natural remedies,” the oils are extracted from compacted plants. They are then distilled through steam or water, and then combined with carrier oil.
If you are not sure whether you have COVID-19 or not, visit Easy Test Hub to learn about at-home tests you can do to determine if your symptoms are really COVID-19 related.
How Do You Use Essential Oils?
Essential oils influence the limbic system, which is involved in emotions, memory and psychological functions, as well as sense of smell. For example, if you inhale lavender oil before going to bed, you may find you experience longer, deeper sleep.
You can use essential oils in a variety of ways to treat many conditions, including some respiratory infections. For example:
- An aromatherapy burner or diffuser is great for neutralizing airborne viruses.
- One of the best ways to treat respiratory infections is through steam inhalation.
- You can put a few drops of essential oil on a tissue or carry an aromatherapy inhaler with you when you go out.
- Dilute the oils and apply them directly to the skin during a massage. You can also use them in alcohol-based hand sanitizers to further increase your protection.
How Can You Use Essential Oils To Manage COVID-19 Symptoms?
The use of essential oils while you are ill with COVID-19 can benefit your body in various ways and help you overcome the side effects of the disease, some of which can linger for months. Here’s how it works:
- Your immune system is boosted by the fact that essential oils relax your body, which allows it to build up defenses against viruses. If you are stressed your immune system is unable to function well.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of essential oils can help reduce the severity of your symptoms. Some essential oils, such as eucalyptus, can help reduce swelling in the nasal passages and airways.
- Essential oils can act as antiviral agents against COVID-19.
- There is evidence that essential oils can penetrate the lipid layer of viruses more effectively than many conventional medicines. These oils can therefore be regarded as an effective natural remedy to help manage the symptoms of the virus.
Restoring Sense of Smell
One of the unpleasant, long-term side effects of COVID-19 for some people has been a long-term loss of their sense of smell and taste. This can have a negative impact on your quality of life, as you can no longer enjoy food. Many have even experienced further weight loss, even after they have recovered from the virus.
It has been shown that smelling essential oils can assist in the recovery of damaged olfactory nerves, and help restore a sense of smell, even if it’s only partially.
What Are the Best Essential Oils for COVID-19?
If you are considering using essential oils to alleviate your symptoms, the following oils are considered the best to use when you have respiratory infections.
This essential oil has many healing properties and is used to treat sinusitis, bronchitis, and pharyngitis. It lets your muscles relax and opens up your airways.
Eucalyptus oil has been used to assist asthma patients to reduce the severity of their attacks and also to help prevent future attacks, by relaxing the airways and reducing stress.
The oil has also been used to fight viral infections, because of its high antiviral activity. It decreases inflammation and can be used in the fight against COVID-19, as many deaths from the virus are due to inflammation in the lungs.
Lavender has a calming effect and is effective in helping the body relax. If you are relaxed, your immune system will work better. You will also sleep better, and sleep will protect and repair your body.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree Oil is an essential oil that effectively fights viruses. It contains aldehydes that are a disinfectant and can sterilize and kill viruses, bacteria and fungi. Tea Tree Oil also contains phenols, a compound that acts as an antioxidant, with antimicrobial properties.
The oil is an antiseptic and can also be used in hand sanitizer recipes.
Sandalwood Essential Oil
This herbal medicine has been used by different cultures to treat different symptoms. It has been used as a remedy for upper respiratory tract infections, as well as chest pain.
Other Oils That Can Also Help
- Rosemary is an antioxidant and can relieve congestion.
- Carrot seed can remove toxins and boost immunity. It can also strengthen the mucous membranes that act as a barrier against infection.
- Cinnamon and pimento fight infection, and ease breathing.
- Mandarin and grapefruit can help to stimulate your lymphatic system, which is key in fighting infection.
- Frankincense essential oil can reduce pain and swelling when applied topically.
Take Precautions When Using Essential Oils
Always take the following precautions, to make sure that you use the oils in the safest way possible.
- It’s vital that you only use the oils for their intended purpose. Never consume the oil, unless it’s meant for ingestion.
- Only use your oil in the diffuser for 30 to 60 minutes and no longer. You should also use the diffuser in a well-ventilated area.
- Always dilute the oil, especially when you’re going to apply it topically. Never apply the undiluted oil directly to your skin.
- Some of the oils can irritate your skin, and you should be cautious when using oils like lemongrass, cinnamon bark and clove.
Essential oils can be used to give your recovery a boost and improve your general health overall, even when you are suffering from COVID-19. However, the oils can’t be considered a cure for the disease, and you should always follow the advice of your doctor when using them. Seek emergency care if you feel that your condition is worsening.
Always ensure that you take precautions when using the oils and only use them in the safest way possible.