People are always concerned about having a beautiful and harmonious smile. Having aligned teeth not only makes us look healthier, but also gives us self-confidence. Invisible orthodontics has become the most popular treatment for correcting the position of teeth in recent years, and not only among adults: more and more teenagers are opting for clear aligners to achieve a perfect smile. However, there are still many questions and doubts surrounding this type of orthodontic treatment.
It is never too late to start orthodontic treatment. Dental appliances are no longer exclusively focused on children and teenagers, nowadays, many adults undergo orthodontic treatment to correct their oral imperfections. Below you will find information about invisible orthodontic treatments and the advantages of invisible orthodontics.
What are invisible orthodontics and what types of treatment are there?
Invisible orthodontics is an orthodontic treatment whose objective is to correct deviations, malposition of the teeth or bad bite through small movements made gradually, both the dental pieces and the maxillary bones with the help of imperceptible or discrete dental appliances. Orthodontics encompasses all dental movements aimed at correcting the alignment and malocclusions of the mouth.
Orthodontics reduces jaw discomfort and other bite problems, such as bruxism, as well as improving oral hygiene. It also reduces the incidence of periodontal diseases and supporting tissues such as gingivitis and periodontitis.
Invisible orthodontic treatments achieve all this with the quality of being almost imperceptible to the eyes of other people. Although there are sapphire brackets, which are transparent, only two methods are considered invisible treatments: lingual brackets and orthodontics based on transparent aligners.
- Lingual braces: this technique is very similar to traditional orthodontics. The main difference is that the brackets are placed on the inside of the teeth and are thinner. Technically, it is comparable to traditional braces and can correct the same problems. However, in addition to the aesthetic fact that this treatment provides, as other people cannot see that you are wearing braces, it has other added advantages, such as the fact that dental hygiene is easier to carry out, there is no risk of damaging the dental enamel on the front of the teeth and that the saliva itself continuously self-cleans the braces, while at the same time, by increasing its concentration, it also generates an increase in its antibacterial action.
- Clear aligners: this is the most current and innovative orthodontic technique, with numerous technological advances. In this type of orthodontics, splints made of completely transparent plastic materials are used, whose function is to push the teeth into the position they should occupy. The splints are changed every one or two weeks following a pattern previously determined by an orthodontist, with the help of a computer software, which defines the evolution of the treatment at all times and the patient can see the final result even before starting the treatment. Apart from its aesthetics, which makes it barely noticeable, it has the advantage that it is removable, so the patient can take it off for specific situations such as eating or oral hygiene., as long as he/she wears it for at least 22 hours a day.
What are the advantages of clear aligners?
All types of orthodontics have many advantages that are very beneficial for the patient, but clear aligners has certain characteristics that make it different from others:
- It is removable: Impress clear aligners can be taken off and put on to eat or brush your teeth.
- Fast results: As an invisible treatment, it is much easier to see satisfactory results in a short period of time. Although it is true that each patient is different and it depends on the oral and dental problems that need to be solved, but after approximately 3 or 4 months some patients can see that their teeth are perfectly positioned, but this doesn’t happen to everyone. It depends on the case and complexity.
- It is very aesthetic: as they are invisible, few people will notice that you are undergoing orthodontic treatment. It is almost imperceptible to the eye.
- Tailor-made treatment for each patient: 3D virtual technology ensures that the aligners are custom-fitted to each patient.
- Effectiveness: thanks to their advanced technology, clear aligners provide you with effectiveness from the very first moment. Before starting treatment, you will be able to see the final result of your teeth if you follow the specialist’s instructions.
- Hygienic: as it is a removable treatment, you will have total freedom and ease to brush your teeth without any problem or inconvenience and you will also be able to clean the splints thoroughly.
- Solution against bruxism: clear aligners prevent teeth rubbing both during the day and at night. In addition, once the treatment is finished, as at night, retainers must be worn, so the patient will be protected against bruxism for a long time thanks to them, having improved their bite and having their teeth perfectly positioned.
All of the above leads us to the conclusion that clear aligners treatments have many advantages that other types of treatment do not have. But for this treatment to be effective, it is very important to follow the specialist’s instructions and to be responsible, as it requires the patient to be disciplined in its use. Despite all of the above, the most important thing is to get information before undergoing orthodontic treatment and choose a good orthodontist, with extensive experience, who has mastered this type of treatment and knows what is most suitable for each patient so that he or she can offer you the best results.