|Prickly Pear Seed Oil benefits and uses Quick Facts|
|Name:||Prickly Pear Seed Oil benefits and uses|
|Scientific Name:||Opuntia cactus|
|Origin||Prickly pear is native to South America and Mexico. It is nutritious and edible cactus which is widely grown in Australia, South Africa, Southern Europe and Southwestern United States.|
|Health benefits||Absorption, Skin elasticity, Nourish skin, Pore tighten, Brighten skin|
Prickly pear is native to South America and Mexico. It is nutritious and edible cactus which is widely grown in Australia, South Africa, Southern Europe and Southwestern United States.
Though the origin of Prickly pear is uncertain, it is believed to have been originated from South American country Mexico. It was imported in 16th century from America. It could be found in semi-arid areas such as South America, South Asia, Southern Europe, Australia and islands with temperate climates. It was included in Global Invasive Species Database. Moreover, it has additional function to support cattle and people during famine and drought. Prickly pear was introduced to Northern Ethiopia for this purpose. Today, its plantation covers an estimated area of 350 hectares. It was a threat to both animals and plants.
In recent years, it has been prized for the oil that could be derived from very small seeds found in the fruit named prickly pear. Prickly pear seed oil possesses anti-ageing properties. It is used for medicinal purposes in pharmaceutical laboratories.
Health benefits of Prickly pear seed oil
Let us discuss on the health benefits provided by Prickly pear seed oil are:
Prickly pear oil has essential fatty acids about 60% of Linoleic acid. It is easily absorbed into skin. It deeply penetrates the skin without leaving a greasy residue behind.
- Skin elasticity
Due to antioxidant activity, it stimulates the renewal of cells by providing fresh and new skin. It lowers hyper-pigmentation and redness.
- Nourish skin
Prickly pear seed oil helps to hydrate skin and is helpful for mature and dry skin. The high content of linoleic acid calms the dehydrated skin by deeply penetrating it.
- Pore tighten
Prickly pear oil has essential fatty acids that moistens the collagen layer of skin and makes the pores tight.
- Brighten skin
Prickly pear oil helps to eliminate dark spots and also brighten the skin. It lightens dark circles under eyes and also lowers spider veins.
- Slows down aging process
It has high content of Betalains which are antioxidants having anti-aging effects.
- Eliminate free radicals
Prickly pear oil has ample amounts of Vitamin E that eliminates free radicals and assist to renew cells. It lowers wrinkles and adds firmness by preventing free radical damage.
- Unclog pores
Being non-comedogenic and high content of linoleic acid and oleic acid, it won’t clog the pores as well as breakout.
- Soothe inflammation
Prickly pear oil has soothing, deeply nourishing and non-irritating activity that helps to calm inflammation and also hydrates skin.
- It promotes the skin elasticity.
- It is used as a moisturizer that leaves the skin feeling soft.
- It is used to moisturize damaged and dry hair by restoring the health of cuticles and nails.
- It promotes regeneration of skin as well as its restructuring.
- It is helpful for damaged and mature skin.
- It lowers the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, blemishes and scars.
- It assists in restoration of skin’s firmness, elasticity and moisture.
- It tightens the pores by making the smoother texture of skin.
- It lowers sagging under eyes.
- It treats rosacea, balances skin’s natural production of oils and soothes sunburn.
- It repairs scars and stretch marks.
- It helps to calm skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Massage 1-3 drops of Prickly pear seed oil to the under eye circles, face and neck to brighten the complexion and promote rejuvenation.
- It slows down the aging activities and prevents the chances of premature wrinkles.
- One should consult the doctor for use.
- Use it in moderate amounts only.
- Do a patch test before use to know the reaction.
- Sensitive people might get allergic reaction with its use.
Prickly pear seed oil facts
|Name||Prickly Pear Seed Oil benefits and uses|
|Scientific Name||Opuntia cactus|
|Native||Prickly pear is native to South America and Mexico. It is nutritious and edible cactus which is widely grown in Australia, South Africa, Southern Europe and Southwestern United States.|
|Common/English Name||Oil of Opuntia, Cactus seed Oil, Indian fig oil, Barbary fig oil, Prickly cactus seed oil, Indian fig seed oil, Barbary fig seed oil|
|Name in Other Languages of Prickly pear||Hindi: Nagfani;
|Method of extraction||Cold pressed|