These cookies were one of my first and biggest successes in the kitchen, and one that I’m still so proud of today. Not only are they fantastic on their own, but using them to sandwich a dollop of vanilla buttercream deliciously transforms these guys into our famous creamies. We also use these cookies to make cookie crumbs for our Nanaimo Bars (page 103), as well to make the crust for our Chocolate Cheesecake, which may sound unusual, but trust me, they give the cheesecake a toffee-like quality that is simply indulgent.
These cookies are versatile size-wise. You can make them huge or you can shrink them down to little bite-size cuties and they will still turn out. Simply adjust the baking time by a few minutes, give or take, and let visual cues tell you when they’re done (they should be a warm golden brown).
- Yield: 18 cookies or 9 creamies
- 2½ cups brown rice flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon organic sugar
- ¾ cup agave nectar
- 0.33 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon organic blackstrap molasses
- 0.66 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, both starches, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, agave nectar, oil, vanilla, and molasses.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well using a spatula. Fold in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Using your hands, roll the dough into golf-ball-size pieces and place on the prepared baking sheets. Press down to flatten each ball to about ¼ inch thick and 2½ inches in diameter, being mindful to keep them spaced about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden. Let sit on the baking sheets for at least 20 minutes, to firm up. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely, or eat them all right away.