Of the five gluten-free, sugar-free focaccia recipes we offer in this book, this one is most similar to traditional wheat flour versions featuring an herbed oil topping. The high proportion of flaxseed meal gives it a creamy interior texture, along with a wide array of nutritional benefits. We call for both dried and fresh basil in the herbed oil because each adds distinctive flavor characteristics. It doesn’t really need any topping beyond what is called for, but as with all focaccias, you can add any number of other toppings.
- Yield: 9 by 13-inch focaccia
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Line a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper or a silicone mat, then mist the bottom and sides with spray oil (preferably olive oil cooking spray).
- To make the herbed oil, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- To make the dough, combine the flaxseed meal, almond flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt in a large bowl and whisk until well mixed. In a small bowl or measuring cup, stir the milk and liquid stevia together.
- Put the egg whites in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment at medium-high speed (or a strong arm with a sturdy whisk and good endurance), beat the eggs for 3 to 5 minutes, until fairly stiff peaks form.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir to make a smooth batter. Gently fold in the egg whites with a rubber spatula, deflating the egg whites as little as possible to make a smooth, sticky dough that is slightly fluffy.
- To assemble and bake the focaccia, gently transfer the dough to the prepared pan, then spread it in an even layer with a spatula. Dip your fingers into the herbed oil, then dimple the dough all over the top. Drizzle the herbed oil evenly over the surface.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then rotate and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown on top and springy when pressed in the center.
- Let the focaccia cool for about 5 minutes before removing it from the pan, cutting it into portions, and serving.