- Yield: 8 to 10 Servings
- Preparation Time: 45 Minutes
- 9 fl oz (250 ml) whole milk
- 2 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 9 oz (260 g) plain gluten-free flour
- 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- 9 oz (250 g) caster sugar
- 2¾ oz (70 g) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ tsp (15 g) sunflower oil
- 2 free-range eggs
- 16 fl oz (450 g) double cream
- 1¾ oz (50 g) icing sugar
- 9 oz (250 g) mascarpone cheese
- 2¾ fl oz (75 ml) Tia Maria or coffee liqueur
- 9 fl oz (250 ml) strong black coffee, cooled
- 2¾ oz (75 g) dark chocolate cocoa powder, to dust
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas Mark 5.
- Heat 50 ml (1¾fl oz) milk in a pan over a low heat until simmering, then stir in the coffee granules until dissolved. Add the remaining milk, stir, transfer to a jug and set aside to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of a free-standing mixer, add the flour, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, caster sugar and softened butter, then slowly mix until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the oil and eggs to the coffee-infused milk.
- Continuing to mix the dry ingredients on a slow speed, pour in the egg and milk mixture. Once combined, turn the speed to medium and mix for 3-5 minutes until the batter thickens. Divide the batter between two lined 900 g (2 lb) deep loaf tins and level with the back of a spatula or spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until slightly risen and the tops spring back when pressed lightly. Put the tins onto a wire rack and cool completely. Lift the sponges from the pans. Level the tops using a serrated knife and slice each cake in two horizontally. Fully line one of the loaf tins with a double layer of clingfilm.
- Lightly whisk the cream with the icing sugar and add the mascarpone. Whisk until combined and quite thick, then add the Tia Maria, folding in with a spatula or metal spoon.
- To assemble, pour the coffee into a shallow dish and quickly dip in one of the sponge pieces. Flip over so both sides soak up a little coffee, but don’t allow it to become soggy. Put the sponge into the bottom of the lined loaf tin and spread over onequarter of the mascapone cream in a smooth layer. Grate over one-third of the dark chocolate, then repeat the process with the remaining layers of sponge, cream and chocolate. Finish with a cream layer on top, but don’t add any chocolate shavings.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 8 hours. When ready to serve, dust the top generously with sifted cocoa powder. Lift from the tin using the clingfilm to help you, then slice to serve, revealing the layers inside.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.