|Scoparia Weed Quick Facts|
|Scientific Name:||Scoparia dulcis|
|Origin||Distributed throughout tropical and subtropical regions of India, America, Brazil, West Indies, and Myanmar.|
It is a branched herb having wiry stems that grows upto 1 meter tall. Leaves are 3-notely whorled, obovate-oblong to oblanceolate measuring 1.4-3.5 x 0.8 -1.5 cm, subacute at apex, tapering to base and coarsely crenate-serrate from above base and is glabrous on both surfaces. Flowers are small and white that occurs in leaf axils. Petioles measures 9 mm long. Pedicles are 5-7 mm long and are glabrous. Calyx lobes are oval to oblong measuring 2.5-3 x l mm, glabrous within and without and is ciliate at margins. It has green stamens and ovary. Roots are profusely branched. The plant blooms small and white flowers in small 2-4 or 5 flowered inflorescence. Seeds are minute and many.
- Plant (fresh or dried) are used as an aid for treatment of kidney stones, stomach ailments, diabetes, hypertension, haemorrhoids, bronchitis, antipyretic, analgesic and urinary disorders.
- It relieves pain and urinary tract infections.
- The plant is used for treating ailments such as stomach ache, diarrhea, kidney problems, kidney stones and fever.
- It is used to treat digestive problems, fever, pulmonary conditions, hypertension, skin disorders, dysentery, anemia, insect bites, diabetes, albuminuria and herpes.
- Leaves and young shoots are eaten as vegetable.
- The whole plant is useful for treatment of herpes, colds, coughs, nausea, fevers, dizziness and also as an antidote for snake bites as well as cassava intoxication.
- In infants, it provides relief from vomiting when used with milk and when used in large doses, it persuades vomiting to clear out the digestive system.
- Plant decoction is used to treat gonorrhea and remittent fever and also to induce labour.
- Use fresh or dried plants externally used to treat various skin problems such as ulcers, bruises, pimples, eczema and impetigo.
- In Brazil, it is used for treating wounds and hemorrhoids.