|Syzygium alternifolium Quick Facts|
Syzygium alternifolium is the medium sized tree measuring 12 meters with slightly fissured and grayish bark. Leaves are dark green measuring 10-12.3 x 7-9 cm. Fruits are dark purple berries which is globose that varies in shape, size and taste. Take the fruit with seed powder and water three times a day to control diabetes. Fruits and stems are used for treating diabetes in traditional system of medicine. Fruits are used for gastric and duodenal ulcers. The plant is endemic and used in native medicine.
It is a mass bloomer that bears flower during dry season. Recently, the population size is declining due to cut down of trees.Flowering
Flower bud occurs in late March and the flowering begins from mid-April to mid-May. The flowers open initially small and increases rapidly with peak mass flowering fortnight and declines rapidly.
Flowers are then followed by green, dark purple, light purple and violet. It is fleshy and globose berry which is 25 to 30 mm in diameter. It is a combination of sweet, mildly sour with astringent flavor. Light purple and green fruits are tasty as well as sweet and dark purple or violet ones are bitter as well as sweet.
One fruit have unique seed ploy embryonic condition.
- Leaves are used to treat hepatitis, liver cirrhosis, liver enlargement, infective hepatitis, jaundice and ailments related to liver and gall bladder.
- For the treatment of dry cough, fry leaves in cow leaves and use it as curry.
- Use the mixture of leaves and mineral oil for dark hair and to enhance hair growth, apply it externally to the scalp.
- Use the fruits, tender shoots and leaf juice to treat dysentery, stem bark for gastric ulcers and seeds for diabetes.
Use the ripe fruits to make squashes, vinegar and jellies.
- Fruit juice is used to cure ulcers and stomach ache.
- Apply the fruit pulp externally to lower rheumatic pains.
- Fruit pulp and seeds tincture has anti-diabetic properties.
- Extract of stem bark has antiseptic properties.