It is important that you take good care of yourself before and after you have had cosmetic surgery. You will want your body to be able to heal as quickly as possible while still giving you the results that you are after. We asked the team at Platt Plastic Surgery which vitamins and minerals were most effective at aiding in the healing process after cosmetic surgery. This is what we learned.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is good for you in a lot of different ways. It is a natural antioxidant, helping to keep your cells safe. This is crucial when it comes to recovering from cosmetic surgery. Additionally, Vitamin C can strengthen the connective tissue in your skin, as well as your muscle and blood vessels.
- Found in: Vitamin C is found in a lot of fruits and vegetables, including oranges, kiwis, lemons, and even Brussels sprouts.
- Vitamin A: Another vitamin that can help promote healing is Vitamin A. This can help healing specifically by promoting collagen production while supporting incisions. It can increase the tensile strength of the healing incision.
- Found in: Vitamin A is found in dark leafy green vegetables, such as spinach and chard. It is also found in fruits, like papayas.
- Zinc: Zinc is found in a lot of different foods and most people do not need to supplement anything in order to get the zinc that their bodies need. It works to support skin and mucosal membranes, which will help you as you heal from your surgery.
- Found in: Zinc is common and found in a lot of foods, such as meats, shellfish, legumes, nuts, eggs, dairy, and many more things. That is why there isn’t usually a shortage of zinc in the body.
- Rutin: Rutin is a supplement that can be used to help people avoid strokes, but it also can make your blood vessels stronger. Stronger blood vessels, means better healing time. It can also improve varicose veins by strengthening your veins.
- Found in: Rutin is easily found in edible plants, including asparagus, figs, and green tea.
- Bromelain: Bromelain is actually an enzyme rather than a mineral, but it is an excellent natural anti-inflammatory, helping your healing muscles and tissues to relax.
- Found in: Bromelain is an enzyme that is found in pineapple stems.
- Vitamin K: Vitamin K does not get nearly the attention that it deserves. Vitamin K promotes blood clotting, which means that your incisions will be able to heal well without causing much in the way of bleeding.
- Found in: Vitamin K is found in dark leafy green vegetables, like cabbage and spinach, but also is in dairy products and liver.
- Grape Seed Extract: You might be asking yourself, “What is grape seed extract,” and it’s a fair question. Grape seed extract is made from seeds from grapes that have been processed to provide an antioxidant scenario, further promoting your body to heal following surgery.
- Found in: Grape seed extract can be found in dietary supplement form, such as small pills. Eating grapes directly will not hone in on the healing properties that come with grape seed oil.
- Fish Oils: Another type of supplement that you might want to try out is fish oil .Fish oil has a lot of different proprieties, but it can also help promote healing following your cosmetic surgery, giving you a chance to heal well.
- Found in: Fish oil can be found in capsule form, like a dietary supplement, but it is also found in fresh fish.
- Iron: Finally, we suggest that you take iron following a cosmetic procedure. Iron works by helping your blood pump oxygen throughout your body, sending the nutrient-rich blood to the areas that are healing from surgery.
- Found in: Iron is found in seafood, leafy greens, peas, and many more.
The Importance of a Balanced Diet
Regardless of the size of your surgery, you will need to have a balanced and healthy diet when you are recovering from surgery. You should eat well regardless, but having all of these vitamins and minerals can help you hone in on what things you could be trying in order to promote healing.