Rice and chicken have recognized nutritional value. Together, they are one super-powerful food. This is the main reason why you should include more of them in your weekly meals.
They are indeed very nutritional, and they are commonly used for weight-loss diets. But, the exact nutrients they have and how they work in the body are still unknown. Let’s discover it together.
5 nutritional benefits of rice and chicken
Rice and chicken are a combination made in heaven. They have proteins, fiber, carbs, minerals, and vitamins, among other nutrients. Chicken provides the needed protein, and rice gives the fiber and carbohydrates the body consumes to keep healthy.
The health benefits are summarized below:
- Help to maintain the calorie intake down: Using the proper cooking techniques and healthy vegetables, the calories of chicken and rice fit the daily calorie intake. Chicken is a lean protein with low-fat content, and rice is fat-free.
- Give you a boost of energy: Rice’s carbohydrate content works like fuel for your body. It gives you the needed energy to function throughout the day.
- Satisfy for a longer time: Chicken provides the protein, and rice the carbs to make you feel fuller. This also limits your snacking time. In addition, protein helps to build and reinforce the muscles.
- Provide vital vitamins and minerals: These nutrients preserve the immune system and strengthen the body.
- Make the bones stronger: The content of phosphorus and calcium are essential nutrients for the bones. They help to reduce bone pain and the risk of arthritis.
Rice and chicken options
You know the importance of including these two ingredients in your regular meals. But, here you face an inconvenience, how to prepare them without getting bored?
Fortunately, there are countless rice and chicken recipes you can try. They are so varied that they please everybody’s taste. From quick and easy dishes like cheesy chicken and rice to more elaborate ones with many ingredients and various cooking techniques.
There are plenty of recipes you can cook. Your choice will depend on the occasion, time, available ingredients, and your cooking abilities. Do you need to prepare a quick dinner or a copious meal for a family celebration? No matter your plans or daily activities, you can always find rice and chicken recipes that suit your needs.
- Quick recipes include (20 or fewer minutes of prep time):
- Rice and chicken casserole.
- Instant Pot rice and chicken.
- Creamy soup with chicken and rice.
- Chicken adobo and rice.
- Chicken fried rice.
- More complex recipes are:
- Chicken biryani with rice.
- Chicken and rice congee.
- Jollof rice and chicken.
- Chicken paella.
- Chicken, rice, and sausage gumbo.
Delicious rice and chicken dishes
You can start by cooking simple recipes with a few ingredients and then increase the components and difficulty.
You can also prepare your versions and make your family meals a special occasion to introduce your new rice and chicken based dishes. You will have double rewards; you are giving your family meals packed with nutrients to your taste.
For a quick dinner, try this simple recipe:
- 1½ cups of basmati rice.
- 4 chicken thighs.
- 1 ½ teaspoons of Italian seasoning (basil, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, and oregano).
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika.
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 1 cup of chopped onion.
- 1 tablespoon of butter.
- 3 cups of low-sodium chicken stock.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup of green onions to garnish.
- Mix the Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Reserve.
- Rinse the rice until the water is clear. Set aside.
- Season the chicken thighs with the herbs and spices mixture. Make sure chicken thighs are completely covered with the seasoning.
- Heat olive oil to medium-high temperature in a saucepan. Add chicken and cook each chicken side for three minutes or until they are golden.
- Take out the chicken from the saucepan and set aside.
- Incorporate chopped onions into the saucepan; add butter and rice, and sauté for five minutes.
- Pour the chicken stock and combine very well.
- Place the chicken thighs over the rice and put a lid on the saucepan.
- Reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Serve with chopped green onions at the top.