|Almond Butter Quick Facts|
|Major nutrients||Total Fat (25.37%)
Vitamin B2 (11.54%)
|Health benefits||Skin health, Diabetes control, Helps to lose weight, Prevent heart problems, Enhance metabolism|
Almond butter is the paste made from almonds. It may be roasted or raw. It is rich in monounsaturated fats, potassium, calcium, manganese and iron. It is a great source of phosphorus, riboflavin, copper, magnesium, vitamin E and fiber. It is a substitute for peanut butter for those people who are allergic to peanuts or dislike taste of peanuts. In comparison to peanut butter, almond butter has more calcium, fiber, iron, potassium and manganese. Almond butter is of two types: refined and unrefined. Almond butter is used as a spread for sandwich or additional ingredient for smoothies or cakes.
Health Benefits of Almond Butter
Rich in monounsaturated fats, Almond butter could be a part of healthy diet. It helps to lower bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol. With high content of calcium, it is beneficial to maintain strong bones, proper muscle and nerve function and normal blood clotting. It has adequate amounts of magnesium that is needed for various biochemical processes that takes place in the body such as regulating blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
- Skin health
Almonds are healthiest source of antioxidants such as Vitamin E. A single tablespoon of almond butter offers 25% of daily requirement of this vitamin. Along with omega-3 fatty acids, it could act as antioxidant in the body by lowering oxidative stress and also reducing the chances of chronic diseases in form of age spots, wrinkles and blemishes.
- Diabetes control
Almond butter has low level of carbohydrate which prevents drops and spikes in blood sugar that is obtained from easy snack foods. This butter regulates blood sugar that makes it a wise choice for diabetic patients in the world.
- Helps to lose weight
This nut butter has high content of protein and fiber but low content of calories. It is effective for those who are trying to lose some weight and promote energy levels besides having strict diet.
- Prevent heart problems
Almonds have high content of fat in form of unsaturated fat. It helps to balance cholesterol levels and prevent heart from problems such as heart attacks, atherosclerosis and strokes.
- Enhance metabolism
The energy obtained from fats and proteins is greater than from basic carbohydrates which means that this butter helps to promote metabolic level for longer time and also optimizing different bodily functions.
- Prevent chronic ailments
The patients suffering from chronic pain, inflammation and stomach problems are caused by the activity of free radicals. Research found that almond butter helps to lower the chances of chronic diseases.
How to make Almond Butter?
- 16 ounces (3 cups) raw almonds
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (Optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey (Optional)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large, rimmed baking sheet, toast almonds for about 10 minutes (stirring halfway).
- Let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- Put these almonds to a high-speed blender. Blend till it becomes creamy.
- Add salt for more flavor. Also add cinnamon, and vanilla and maple syrup to enhance the taste.
- To add maple syrup, let the mixture cool, and then blend a few more minutes to make it creamy.
- When almond butter cools to room temperature, transfer it to a mason jar and screw on the lid.
How to eat
- Use almond butter on toast for breakfast.
- It could be used as a spread on quick breads, muffins and banana bread.
- Blend it into smoothies and yogurt.
- Whisk almond butter to vegetables such as kale, carrots and cabbage.
- Add it to chocolate bar cookies.
- Make an Asian style dressing by combining 1 chopped chili, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, juice of one lime, 1/3 inch chopped ginger and some pepper.
- It is also used to make almond fudge brownies.
- Combine it with organic cream cheese to make light and nutty dip. Serve it with pears, apples and celery.
- Almond butter could be used to make an Asian dipping sauce.