|Borage oil health benefits and facts Quick Facts|
|Name:||Borage oil health benefits and facts|
|Origin||It is native to Mediterranean region and is widely cultivated in North America.|
|Colors||Golden to yellow|
|Health benefits||Lower inflammation, Treat cancer, Lower Arthritis, Skin ailments, Respiratory health|
It is native to Mediterranean region and is widely cultivated in North America. The history shows that it was used medicinally for about 1500 years. In Europe, it is used for its healing purposes and added to soups, salads and sauces. Being flowers edible, it is candied to decorate cakes and made as sweet syrup. It provides relief from inflammation and pain.
Health Benefits of Borage oil
Borage oil provides various health benefits:
- Lower inflammation
Borage oil has polyunsaturated fatty acid that has positive effect on inflammation. It helps to counteract diseases. Borage oil is a great source of GLA which is found in low amounts in nuts and green leafy vegetables. It helps to lower inflammation by inhibiting leukotriene synthesis that is associated with thrombotic effects and raising autoimmune reactions. It also lowers atopic eczema, arthritis and respiratory problems.
- Treat cancer
This oil possesses anti-mutagenic properties as well as antioxidants which counteract with the cancer cell growth. The study shows that borage oil lowers the life span of toxic cells. It reduces underlying oxidative genetic damage that is the cause for disease development and inflammation.
- Lower Arthritis
It is an aid for rheumatoid arthritis pain if used with anti-inflammatory medications. It lowers joint pain, severity of tenderness and swelling.
- Skin ailments
Borage oil helps to treat skin inflammatory disorders such as eczema. This oil improves eczema condition in the patients if used instead of steroid cream.
- Respiratory health
This oil helps to enhance the function of lungs in the people having inflamed respiratory infections as well as disorders such as Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. It could be used in the form of capsules. It speeds up the recovery of coughs, flu and cold.
- Assist growth
The evidence shows that borage oil assist in the growth and development of premature babies and infants. The supplements of borage oil support the central nervous system development and also lower the chances of premature births.
- Supports losing weight
Borage has GLA that assist in lowering the accumulation of body fat in comparison to other refined vegetable oils. GLA has more accumulation of brown fat in comparison to white fat.
- It assists in healthy joints, vessel function and blood flow.
- It helps to lower pain.
- It treats the skin problems such as neurodermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis and eczema.
- It is helpful for premenstrual syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, ADHD, diabetes, alcoholism, acute respiratory distress syndrome, swelling, pain and prevents stroke and heart problems.
- It promotes the tone and elasticity of skin.
- Massage with borage oil to provide relief from painful joints.
- In aromatherapy, it is used as carrier oil.
- Massage with the mixture of wintergreen oil or copaiba essential oil and 4 oz of borage oil. This helps to lower gout swelling and arthritic pain in joints.
- The excess use of borage oil leads to seizures.
- The excessive use of Borage oil results in diarrhea, soft stool, bloating and belching.
- It is harmful for liver.
- Pregnant women should avoid it because it induces labor.
- It acts like a blood thinner so it should not be used with warfarin and aspirin.
- It might cause the side effects such as indigestion, nausea, constipation, upset stomach, belching, rashes, diarrhea and bloating.
- If used excessively, it could lead to seizures.
- It should not be used by the people having schedule for surgery.
Borage oil facts
This oil has been derived from Borage seeds which are annual and bristly herb that is inherent to Mediterranean region. Borage oil has gamma-linolenic acid which is found in about 17 to 20%. It could also be ingested and applied topically.
|Name||Borage oil health benefits and facts|
|Scientific Name of Borage plant||Borago officinalis|
|Native||It is native to Mediterranean region and is widely cultivated in North America.|
|Common/English Name of Borage plant||Bee bread, Bee plant, Bee Plant, Borage Flower, Beebread, Borage Leaf, Borage Seed Oil, Borage Oil, Borago officinalis, Borago, Bourrache Commune, Borraja, Common Borage, Bourrache, Burrage, Burage, Common Bugloss, Feuille de Bourrache, Cool Tankard, Fleur de Bourrache, Huile de Graines de Bourrache, Huile de Bourrache, Langue de Bœuf, Pain-des-Abeilles, Ox’s Tongue, Starflower, Talewort, Starflower Oil|
|Method of extraction||Cold pressed, unrefined|
|Color||Golden to yellow|