|Sausage Tree Quick Facts|
|Scientific Name:||Kigelia africana|
|Shapes||Oblong or oblong-cylindric|
Kigelia Africana is a deciduous and wide spreading tree which reaches 10 to 20 meters high having short and squat light brown trunk and bark which is flaky as it ages. Leaves are alternate, odd pinnate having 5 to 9 leaflets which are opposite, glossy and ovate to elliptic-ovate measuring 8–16 cm long by 3–6 cm wide. Flowers are large, maroon red upto 9 cm wide and borne in 4 to 12 flowered panicles on long and pendulous pedicles. Calyx is campanulate, 5-toothed or lobed. Corolla tube is slender, broadly bell shaped, curved and 5-lobed. Flowers are then followed by fruits which is hard, greyish-brown, huge, scurfy, oblong or oblong-cylindric about 20–100 cm in length, 8–18 cm wide. The pulp is firm and fibrous which contains numerous small seeds. It weighs 5-10 kg.Foliage
Leaves are opposite or in whorls of three about 30 to 51 cm long, pinnate having 6 to 10 leaflets upto 20 cm long and 5.7 cm broad. The terminal leaflet can be present or absent.
Flowers hang down from branches on long and flexible stems. Flowers form in panicles. Flowers are bell shaped, orange to maroon or purplish green and about 10 cm (4 inches) wide.
Fruit is a woody berry about 30 to 99 cm and 18 cm broad. It weighs between 5 to 10 kg. The pulp of the fruit is fibrous and contains many seeds.
- It is used by traditional healers for treating skin ailments, boils, fungal infections, eczema, psoriasis and ringworm.
- Use it for internal ailments such as tape worm, dysentery, diabetes, malaria, haemorrhaging, toothache, pneumonia and used as a purgative.
- The fruit is used as a wash or drink for young children in Southern Nigeria.
- Dried root bark is used for treating uterus cancer and alimentary tract cancer in Malawi.
- In Gold Coast, the bark is used as a cure for dysentery and rheumatism.
- In Sierra Leone, women apply heated bark to breast for speeding up returning to normal after suckling child has been detached.
- In Tanzania, bark is used for treating swelling of breasts.
- Fruit decoction is used as an aid for oedema of legs and elephantiasis in Cote D’Ivorie.
- In Central Africa, unripe fruit is used as dressing for rheumatism and syphilis.
- Women apply cosmetic preparations of Kigelia Africana fruit for a blemish free complexion.
- Use the green fruit as a poultice for rheumatism and syphilis and apply the poultice made from leaves for treating backache.
- For toothache, decoction made form bark is used to gargle in Zimbabwe.
- To treat epilepsy, wash the head with bark infusion.
- Leaves are used or treating stomach, kidney ailments, dysentery and wounds in West Africa.
- Use the fruit to treat acne.
- Bark is used for dysentery and rheumatism in the Gold Coast.
- Fruits are dried, fermented or roasted.
- Roasted fruits are used to flavor beer.
- Roasted seeds are consumed as famine food.
Fruits when consumed raw cause blisters.