There are many good reasons why you should be on a keto diet, and one aspect of the keto regimen is taking MCT oil. Medium-chain triglycerides or MCT oil is a quick source of energy for those who are on a low- or no-carb diet. Because the body usually burns glucose as fuel to keep you energized throughout the day, a lack of carbs may result in energy depletion. And that’s when MCT oil comes to play.
In this post, you’ll learn more about the benefits of MCT oil so that you can attain optimum health.
What Is MCT Oil?
MCT oil is a type of dietary supplement containing medium-chain triglycerides or MCTs, which are made up of short carbon chains, including Caproic acid or C6, Caprylic acid or C8, Capric acid or C10, and Lauric acid or C12. MCT oil is extracted and isolated from either coconut oil or palm kernel oil.
When a person is on a low-carb diet, the body tends to use dietary fats as sources of energy. However, the problem is that fats are longer to digest because they consist of long-chain triglycerides or fatty acids with 13 to 21 carbon atoms that are bonded together. It means that your body will be deprived of much-needed energy for a prolonged period, keeping you dull and feeling tired.
MCT Oil Benefits
- MCT Oil Reduces Risk of Heart Disease
The risk factors for heart disease include being overweight, hypertension, high cholesterol, and smoking. Because MCT oil supports weight loss, it also helps reduce your risk of cardiovascular problems.
Here’s how MCT oil can help reduce your risk of heart disease:
- In a study, 24 overweight men took MCT oil along with flaxseed oil, and with phytosterols. Their total cholesterol levels were reduced by 12.5%.
- MCT oil contains eight carbon chains. That’s why absorption is easier and faster compared to long-chain fatty acids.
- MCT oil can be added to your diet to lower low-density lipoprotein or bad cholesterol. So check out this guide to learn how to incorporate MCT oil into your diet.
- MCT Supports Diabetes Management
For those who have diabetes, MCT oil can help with the proper management of this lifetime medical condition. According to research, MCT oil can help manage weight among patients with diabetes, increasing fat burning and reducing fat storage.
Because people with diabetes require less sugar to maintain normal blood glucose levels, taking MCT oil provides energy that could be used throughout the day. For healthy individuals, consuming MCT oil prevents the risk of developing type 2 diabetes brought about by an unhealthy lifestyle or poor diet.
- MCT Oil for Managing Epilepsy
People with epilepsy can live a healthy, normal life with the help of MCT oil. Because MCT oil increases decanoic acid, it helps prevent seizure attacks among epileptics. Decanoic acid provides seizure control, acting as a non-competitive antagonist, inhibiting the brain’s excitatory neurotransmission. In short, decanoic acid contributes to the MCT ketogenic diet’s anticonvulsant effect.
- MCT Oil Improves Symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease
The ability of your brain to use sugar is impaired with Alzheimer’s disease. Taking MCT oil and maintaining an MCT ketogenic diet allows your brain cells to survive. Of course, for healthy individuals, MCT oil helps prevent your risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease, blocking glutamate receptors that cause memory loss or neurodegeneration.
- MCT Oil Improves Your General Well-being
With the consumption of MCT oil, you gain enough energy so that you can perform your duties and responsibilities at home and in your workplace effectively and efficiently. By doing so, you’ll feel more confident about your daily accomplishments, thus improving not just your physical body, but also your mental and psychosocial or overall well-being.
Here’s how to use MCT oil:
- Add it to your early morning drink, like blending it with your coffee or green tea.
- Adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of MCT oil to your favorite keto smoothies is also a good idea.
- Add MCT oil in your favorite pre-workout or post-workout shakes.
- Use MCT oil in your keto dressings, sauces, and condiments.
- Drizzle MCT oil or powder on top of your meal. It works well with keto salads and pasta dishes.
- Mix MCT powder with water.
- Take MCT oil directly. Don’t worry because it’s odorless and tasteless.
When it comes to maintaining optimum health and having an improved quality of life, MCT oil provides tons of benefits, from weight loss and preventing heart disease to diabetes management, preventing seizures, and improving symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease. Adding MCT oil to your diet helps you attain overall health and wellness.