The donut that inspired a generation! Well, maybe not, but people certainly love this delicious sweetheart. When Kev redid our website last year and wrote new copy for all the products, the tagline for the donut went viral. With a simple “I love you, little donut,” he melted the heart of every donut lover out there. It’s true, our unassuming donut is often overlooked for the more obvious treats in the crowd, but once you give it a chance, you’ll understand why we and so many others have such a soft spot for this shy little classic.
- Yield: 12 donuts
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons Bob’s Red
- Mill gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons organic sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons rice milk
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spray two 6-mould donut pans or one 12-mould donut pan with canola oil.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, then add the sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, applesauce, oil, and vanilla and lemon extracts. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. Batter should be smooth, with no lumps, so that your donut is less craggy and more puffy. Use the batter immediately, as the donuts will be dense if the batter sits too long.
- Scoop ¼ cup batter into each donut mould (it should be full). Bake for 11 to 13 minutes, until a very light golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pans. For the cinnamon sugar
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar and cinnamon.
- After turning the slightly cooled donuts out of the pans, spray the side of the donut that was exposed in the oven with a bit of canola spray (the other side should already be slightly moist). Using your hands, toss both sides of each donut in the cinnamon sugar. Eat the same day.