There’s nothing quite like a citrus kick to brighten your day. Make these for your best friend when he’s feeling blue and watch him light up like a ray of sunshine as he sinks his teeth into this zesty, lemon zinger. A guaranteed day-picker-upper.
- Yield: 18 cupcakes
- 1½ cups Bob’s Red Mill garbanzo and fava flour
- ¾ cup potato starch
- 0.33 cup + 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup agave nectar
- ¾ cup rice milk
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 1 batch lemon buttercream frosting
- 5 lemon slices, cut into quarters, for garnish
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line 18 muffin cups (you’ll need two 12-cup muffin pans) with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, both starches, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, and baking soda. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the agave nectar, milk, applesauce, oil, and vanilla and lemon extracts. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Using a spatula, thoroughly mix the batter, then let it sit for about 10 minutes to rise.
- Pour batter into each liner to about two-thirds full. Bake for 20 to 24 minutes, until a knife or toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. The cupcakes will be lightly golden on top.
- Cool completely at room temperature before frosting with lemon buttercream. If desired, garnish each cupcake with a small wedge of lemon just before serving.