- Yield: 12 Servings
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
For the Sponges
For the Cream
How to Make It
- For the sponge, preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line the bases of two 20 cm (8 in) sponge tins with greaseproof paper.
- Beat together the margarine and sugar in a large mixing bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Beat together the eggs and vanilla extract in a separate bowl. Beat the egg mixture into the creamed margarine by the tablespoon, then fold in the flour mix, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt until you have a smooth, even batter.
- Divide the batter between the two sponge tins. Level the tops, then bake for 22-28 minutes until golden-brown and risen. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For the cream, once the sponges are cool, turn them out from the tins. Whip the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla extract until almost stiffly peaked.
- Sit one sponge on a cake stand and spread with a thin layer of whipped cream. Arrange the halved strawberries in an even layer on top, before covering with another thin layer of cream.
- Sit the other sponge on top, pressing down gently. Cover the top and sides of the cream with an even layer of cream.
- To decorate, arrange the fruit on top of the cake, starting with the plums at the centre, and the strawberries around the side.
- Scatter the blackberries, raspberries and cherries on top, then sprinkle with grated dark chocolate before serving.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.