|Symplocos racemosa Quick Facts
|Asia, Australia and the Americas
|Drupe, ellipsoid or oblong, 1.5 cm long
Symplocos racemosa is an evergreen tree and its bark is marked with white patches. Leaves are elliptic-oblong or elliptic-lanceolate. It is narrow at base, glandular-serrate, acute or acuminate at apex, crenate or subentire, glabrous on both side curves and polished and shining above the nerve pair. Flowers are 8-18 cm long, fragrant and white which is followed by a fruit. Fruit is a drupe which is ellipsoid to ovoid or oblong measuring 1-1.5 x 0.6 cm which encompasses 1 to 3 seeds. Seeds are oblong and hard.
Leaves are simple, spiral, alternate with 1.5 cm long petioles. Lamina is oblanceolate to narrow elliptic, 6.5-12.5 x 3-4.3 cm, narrowly acuminate apex, acute to attenuate base, serrate and slightly recurved margin.
The outer surface is uneven, rough due to cracks and fissures. It is usually grayish brown to grey externally and pale whitish to brown externally.
Flowers are small, regular, bisexual, white and about 1.4 cm diameter. It is fragrant and form in auxillary and simple or compound racemes 5 to 10 cm long. A calyx tube is glabrous, imbricate, 5-lobed (lobes: 2.5 mm long), ovate and minutely pubescent. The corolla is 4 mm long.
Drupes are globose, cylindrical in shape, purplish black and about 1 to 1.3 cm long, 6 mm broad, one to three seeded with woody endocarp.
- In Myanmar, stem and bark is used for treating fever and cough.
- In India, bark is applied for treating uterine disorders, dysentery, diarrhea, menorrhagia and eye disease.
- Bark has expectorant, astringent, febrifuge, anti-inflammatory, stomachic, haemostatic, suppurative and constipating properties.
- It is useful for treating eye diseases, asthma, spongy or bleeding gums, arthritis, dropsy, tumors, ulcers, skin diseases, leprosy, fever, acne and pimples, menorrhagia, haemorrhages, flatulence, dyspepsia, diarrhea, leucorrhoea, chyluria, hepatic disorders, dysentery, baldness, haemorrhoids, elephantiasis, ear diseases, scrofula and gonorrhea.
- Leaves, bark and root is used for treating dysentery, diarrhea, uterine diseases, liver diseases, liver disorders, leprosy, uterine disorders, conjunctivitis and opthalmia.
- It is helpful for scorpion sting and snake bites.
- For snake bites, use it internally in form of kashaya and choorna.
- Bark powder is used to heal wounds.
- When combined with sugar, it is used to treat menorrhagia and other uterine disorders.
- In Ayurveda, the herb is used to provide glow to skin and make body attractive.
- Use the combination of ghee, sugar and Symplocos racemosa leaves paste for treating cough.
- Apply the paste of the bark over the affected area with swelling and wound as a treatment.
- Apply the bark paste to the eyelids as a treatment for conjunctivitis.
- The bark decoction in divided dose of 50-60 ml helps to treat diarrhea and bleeding piles. It constricts smaller blood vessels and controls bleeding.
- Decoction or cold infusion is provided in divided dose of 50-60 ml for treating uterine bleeding disorders.
- The cold infusion extracted from flowers when given in dose of 50-60 ml treats cough and fever.
- Apply the bark paste for rashes, itching and insect bites.
- The bark powder is sprinkled or blown inside the ear for controlling discharge from ears.
- Bleeding disorders
Apply the powder externally as it acts as haemostatic.
- Acne, white/black heads and blemishes
Apply the paste of Symplocos racemosa and sphatika for acne.
The pasteo dhanyaka, Symplocos racemosa and vaca is useful.
As an astringent, it clears blemishes, white and black heads. It also dries acne quickly.
- Dhataki and Symplocos racemosa powder helps to speed up healing of wounds.
- The paste of Symplocos racemosa, nyagrodha bud, triphala, khadira and ghrta provides looseness and also soften wounds.
- Applying Symplocos racemosa powder speeds up healing of wounds.
- Oral problems
In dental caries, after letting the blood apply the paste of musta, Symplocos racemosa and rasanjana mixed with honey.
- Vaginal infection
Apply the paste of tumbi leaves and Symplocos racemosa in the vagina.
- Blood purifier and diarrhea
- Take flower or stamen extract with milk.
Apply the bark paste over eyelids.
- Eye diseases, wash for ulcers
Use the bark decoction as a wash.
Apply the bark in form of plasters.
- Leucorrhoea, menorrhagia, dysmenorrhea
Use half teaspoon of bark powder.
- Pelvic pain after childbirth
Take the decoction of Soymida febrigfuga A.Juss and Symplocos racemosa twice a day for 3 to 5 days.
Apply the paste of Coriandrum sativum, Acorus calamus and Symplocos racemosa.
Apply the paste of Licorice root, Symplocos racemosa bark, burnt alum and Rasot/Rasont (equal parts) round the eyes.
- Skin diseases
Apply the bark paste for pus release and to heal bruises, furuncles and boils.
- Spongy and bleeding gums
Use the bark decoction as a gargle.
Powder: 3-6 gm
Decoction: 50-100 ml
Seed powder: 1-3 gram
Health benefits of Symplocos racemosa
- Women Health
Symplocos racemosa is effective to heal female associated health problems. It is a uterine tonic which relaxes uterus wall and tissues. It helps to treat gynaecological problems such as menorrhagia, frequent abortions, uterine bleeding disorders and leucorrhea. Use the bark decoction with milk for menstrual disorders.
For frequent abortions, use Symplocos racemosa with honey, milk and pippali churna in 7th to 8th month of pregnancy. It regularizes and normalizes hormones LH and FSH that regulate development of reproductive process of the body. It has anti-androgenic properties that prevents ovarian cell dysfunction in PCOS and promote fertility. It lowers testosterone levels which is higher in PCOS patients.
- Beautiful Skin and Skin Disorders
Symplocos racemosa is an ingredient in Ayurvedic skin associated products and is able to heal the skin problem. Skin problems such as eczema, acne and poor complexion are caused due to aggravated pitta. It has pitta balancing properties and sheeta nature that helps to improve complexion and provides healthy skin. It provides glow to the face and makes it more attractive. In form of paste, it has astringent properties, so apply it on skin, pimples, blemishes, black and white heads.
- Eye Disorders
Symplocos racemosa effectively cures eye diseases such as itching, conjunctivitis, oedema, itching, eye pain and eye burning. Apply the paste to eyelids to provide relief from conjunctivitis.
- Heal wounds and inflammation
Symplocos racemosa is applied to inflamed and injured area, lowers pH of the body that helps to heal wounds faster. It alleviates swelling, pain and inflammatory conditions.
- Supports digestion
Symplocos racemosa has absorbent properties so it assist absorption in colon as well as other body parts. Excess fluids are absorbed and make the body firm as well as strong. It promotes digestion and helpful for treating ailments such as abdominal inflammation, diarrhea, oedema, intestinal paralysis and bowel complaints.
- Dental health
Bark decoction is used as mouthwash to eliminate pyria i.e. bleeding of gums. It helps to maintain overall dental health and makes gums firm.
- Liver tonic
Symplocos racemosa effectively maintains liver health. It cleanses toxins from the liver and purifies blood. The bark is combined with other herbal decoctions as well as infusions to treat ailments such as fatty liver, liver cirrhosis, persistent dysentery and fevers.
- Body strength
The plant of Symplocos racemosa pacifies pitta and vata doshas and promotes Kapha dosha that provides strength and nourishment to the tissues and cells. It supports formation of bodily fluids and promotes firmness of the body and makes it appealing.
- Rasa: Kashaya
- Veerya: Sheeta
- Guna: Laghu, Ruksha
- Vipaka: Katu
- Rogaghnata: Shotha, Netrabhishyanda, Vrana, Atisara, Karnasrava, Jwara etc.
- Doshaghnata: Kaphapittashamaka
- Karma: Shothahara, Chakshushya, Kushaghna, Sara, Vranaropana etc.
- The consumption of Symplocos racemosa on empty stomach causes abdominal heaviness, constipation and nausea in individuals with gastrointestinal problems.
- Do not keep the vaginal wash prepared with Symplocos racemosa bark for longer time period. It should be prepared fresh.
- Avoid excessive use of sour and spicy food items during medication.
- Avoid using Symplocos racemosa for long duration during pregnancy.
- It reduces testosterone and cholesterol levels and promotes progesterone and estrogen levels.