In terms of hair, natural dye is always preferred. But is there any organic hair dye present? To know the answer to this question, let’s discuss the meaning of organic first.
What does organic mean?
The word organic refers to anything prepared from all-natural ingredients. Such products are grown on plants and trees without any chemical fertilizers and are pesticide-free.
Not only the growing phase but also the processing and packaging phases of organic products are carefully monitored. No chemicals or synthetic materials are added during these phases to increase shelf-life or whatsoever.
Types of organic hair dye
Sadly, there are no actual completely organic hair colors available in the market. The only natural hair dye at hand is pure henna powder.
However, finding an organic henna dye can be much more exhausting. Most of the henna they sell these days have at least 1-2% of added chemicals. If you wish to find organic henna, you can choose from our organic henna hair dye collection.
Natural vs. traditional hair colors
Till now, you know that organic hair dyes are free from chemicals. What else do you wish for?
Traditional hair colors often contain more chemicals as compared to the actual dye in them. Chemicals, in any form, can damage your hair for sure. Thus, we recommend you look for as natural dye as possible.
One of the common drawbacks of natural hair dye is its rare availability in the market. Whereas traditional dyes are found everywhere.
Pros of using natural hair dye
- Natural dyes are chemical-free, do not damage your hair, and protect your hair from physical stress.
- They last longer than traditional dyes, minimizing the need to color your hair every other day.
- Henna also provides the feeling of cooling to the site where it’s applied.
Cons of using henna hair dye
- It is a permanent hair dye. Thus, you must be sure about the color before you apply it.
- Henna dye is quite messy and can be complex to handle.
- The henna dye can also stain your scalp temporarily. If not handled carefully, it can taint the skin on your neck, forehead, and hands as well.
- It can take a bit extra time to give a dark color as compared to conventional hair dyes.
- Henna dyes are only available in limited colors.
Usage guide of organic hair dye
Just like your traditional hair dyes, henna hair dye is also applied in an almost similar manner.
Follow the below procedure step by step to get the best results.
What do you need?
- Organic henna powder
- Water, coffee, or any liquid of your choice
- A mixing bowl
- Hair dye brush
- Safety items like gloves and shower cap
- Make a paste: Add a few tablespoons of henna powder into a mixing bowl. Now add water or any solvent of your choice to it. Mix it well to make a thick paste and let it sit for a few hours.
- Apply to your hair: Divide your hair into sections. Take the hair dye brush and apply the mixed henna paste to your hair. Start from the roots and cover each section of your hair to the hilt. Don’t forget to wear gloves before applying the henna paste.
- Cover your hair: After you apply the paste wholly, cover your hair with a shower cap. Covering your hair is essential to prevent any accidental staining of clothes or hands.
- Let it sit: Let the henna paste sit on your hair for 2-3 hours for better results.
- Wash it off: After the required time is achieved and the paste is completely dried, rinse it off with water. Do not use too hot or too cold water for washing your hair. Dry your hair and see the results. Now you’re good to go. Praise your new hair color as long as you want.
Things to keep in mind while using henna hair dye
- Gloves are a must as the henna dye can take days to completely fade from your hand and nails.
- Make sure that your paste is of medium consistency. A too runny or too solid paste can be a problem for sure.
- You have to let the paste sit for some hours to get the best hair color.
- Properly cover your hair with a shower cap, as any piece of clothing that gets in touch with the applied paste gets permanently stained. Believe me, it can be quite bothering.
- Do not shampoo your hair for 1-2 days after applying henna.
Frequently asked questions
- How to know if a product is organic or not?: The best way to check for a natural product is to look at its ingredient list. There are no organic hair dyes present today except for organic henna. But natural henna available in the market nowadays is not chemical-free. Hence, searching for an organic hair dye can be hectic.
- Is there any organic hair dye?: The only organic hair color is henna powder.
- How can I color my grey hair naturally?: If you wish to dye your grey hair with a natural approach, henna hair dye is the best option you can choose.
- Which hair dye lasts longer, natural or conventional?: Henna hair dye is permanent and thus, lasts much longer than artificial hair colors.
- Can henna damage your hair?: There is nothing much safer for your hair than a completely organic henna dye. Though organic henna is less likely to be found, the henna available in the market are at least 90% natural. These are still better than all the conventional hair colors.