Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body. It aids in a lot of bodily functions, like helping give structure to the skin, as well as facilitating the blood clotting process. It’s also one of the major building blocks of bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments.
Similar to other substances and compounds in the body, collagen production decreases as you grow older. With this, some companies have developed collagen-laden products to ensure that your body continues to function at its most optimum level.
You can find natural hydrolyzed supplements, which means that the collagen in them can be easily absorbed by the human body. There’s even a marine collagen bar that makes ingesting the protein more convenient and enjoyable.
Regardless of how you want to take collagen, here is a list of how it can help keep your body healthy:
1. Improves Skin Health
Collagen is the primary component of the skin, which is why taking external supplements can boost your skin’s health. Collagen can strengthen your skin’s barriers, or the stratum corneum, as well as improve its elasticity and ability to absorb nutrients. Increasing your collagen consumption helps to improve your skin appears to be firmer and smoother.
The primary reason why you should take collagen supplements is to strengthen your skin. The decrease in the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and dryness is a bonus. Some people have even reported that their acne was healed a few weeks after supplementing their bodies with external collagen.
Marine collagen supplements can help improve your skin from within. But, taking supplements shouldn’t be a burden. Hydrolyzed marine collagen supplements in a form of gummies come in delicious flavors, satisfying the taste buds. Just make sure to choose a brand of hydrolysed marine collagen that doesn’t use artificial colors.
If you want to make the most of the benefits of marine collagen, you can buy one with vitamin C, biotin, and hyaluronic acid.
- Vitamin C adds additional benefit to the cells, bones, and the skin.
- Biotin or vitamin B7 maintains the health of the skin and the mucous membranes, which also helps with fat metabolism.
- Hyaluronic acid helps alleviate dry skin, which reduces the appearance of wrinkles, spots, and fine lines. It also speeds up wound healing and relieves joint pain caused by osteoarthritis.
Timing for taking collagen supplements highly depends on the main reason you’re taking them. For instance, if you have gut problems or gases whenever you take supplements, then you can take collagen supplements in the morning. If you want to enjoy a restful night’s sleep, take supplements at bedtime with a glass of milk. You can attain improved skin health by taking 2.5 to 10 grams of collagen supplements for 8 to 12 weeks daily.
2. Boosts Nail And Hair Growth
Taking collagen supplements is beneficial for both men and women because, for one, everyone needs healthy hair and nails. The protein is also a significant component in the structure of these body parts. Ingesting collagen supplements can reduce their brittleness, as well as improve their growth.
If you’re trying to grow your hair or nails, you should drink collagen supplements and eat protein-rich food, such as:
- Bone Broth – This soup is made by simmering animal bones in water for a prolonged period, which is believed to extract collagen from these bones. You can add spices according to your taste preferences.
- Chicken – If you aren’t a fan of soups, you can easily get the protein from chicken. Poultry has a lot of connective tissues, which make it an excellent source of dietary collagen, particularly chicken neck and cartilage.
- Seafood – Fish and shellfish, like shrimp, crab, clams, and scallops, are also a rich source of collagen. However, you must brace yourself because the parts of the fish that have the highest concentration of collagen aren’t very desirable to consume, such as the head, skin, and eyeballs.
- Egg Whites – While eggs haven’t had the chance to form connective tissues, egg whites have a high level of proline, which is an amino acid that’s required for producing collagen in the human body.
- Citrus Fruits – Vitamin C is also a crucial ingredient in collagen production. This is why you should eat a lot of citrus fruits, like oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruit, to increase protein levels in the body.
3. Protects Your Bones and Joints
As mentioned above, collagen is one of the major building blocks of bones and joints. Thus, it only makes sense that increasing your body’s collagen levels through supplements can help protect your bones and joints.
Your body’s collagen production slows down as you age, which leads to bone-related problems, such as osteoporosis, rickets, and bone cancer. Research shows that taking collagen supplements can reduce the deterioration of bones that leads to osteoporosis or osteoarthritis.
4. Maximizes Your Weight Loss Efforts
Collagen has also been found to aid in weight loss. This is probably because it increases muscle mass, which boosts metabolism. Taking supplements doesn’t just give you supple skin, glossy hair, and strong nails; it also makes you glow from the inside out.
5. Reduces The Risk Of Cardiovascular Diseases
The protein plays a major role in providing structural support to your arteries. More than having fragile bones, low collagen levels in the body can lead to weak arteries. Boosting collagen production through drinking supplements can promote stronger blood vessels and reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Collagen is a crucial component of the human body. As you age, the production of the protein slows down, which is why you may have noticed that your skin is drier, and your bones are more fragile than when you were younger.
Fortunately, you can take collagen supplements to boost the protein levels in your body. Enjoy the benefits of having supple skin, as well as strong hair, nails, bones, and joints. Plus, you can gain more muscle mass and reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.