|Ashwagandha Quick Facts|
|Scientific Name:||Withania somnifera|
|Origin||Southern Europe, Africa, Asia|
|Shapes||Smooth berry, oblong, rounded 8-10 mm in diameter, spherical, glossy, scarlet, enclosed within an enlarged accrescent calyx|
|Major nutrients||Total dietary Fiber(85.00%)
Vitamin C (4.11%)
|Health benefits||Immune System, Anti-Inflammatory,Anti-Oxidant, Anti-Ageing Capacity, Depression, Athletic Performance, Dementia, Good for Anxiety due to stress, Potent Anti-Cancer Potential, Sexual Debility, Anti-Microbial Properties, Arthritis, Insomnia, Skin Care, Urinary Disorders, Milk Secretion and Sterility in Women, Antibacterial properties, Cardio protective properties, Antidepressant properties, Increased blood production, Weight Loss and Reduced Cortisol, Increased Energy, Reduced Blood Sugar, Memory tonic, Alzheimer’s Disease|
Scientific research in the plant suggests that it’s got anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidizing, anti-stress, sleep inducting as well as drug withdrawal qualities. Numerous formulations that are produced from ashwagandha enhance the musculoskeletal difficulties just like arthritis as well as rheumatism. Additionally, it behaves as a tonic in improving energy, as well as enhancing all around health as well as durability.
Plant: The plant is an erect, perennial, much branched under shrub growing to 0.5 m to 1.5 m tall.
Stem: Stem is terate, branched, cylindrical, solid, clothed with mealy, stellate-hoarytomentun, at length somewhat glabrous.
Root: Root is straight, unbranched, thickness varying with age, roots bear fiber like secondary roots, outer surface buff to gray yellow with longitudinal wrinkles; crown consists of 2-6 remains of stem base; stem bases variously thickened; nodes prominent only on the side from where petiole arises, cylindrical, green with longitudinal wrinkles; fracture, short and uneven; odor, characteristic; bitter and acrid. The roots when dry are cylindrical, gradually tapering down with a brownish white surface and pure white inside when broken.
Leaves: Leaves are cauline and ramal, simple, exstipulate, petiolate, ovate, acute, entire, and up to 10 cm long. Petioles up to 1.25 cm long. The leaves on vegetative shoots are alternate and large while those on floral branches are opposite, rounded or somewhat produced at base, pubescent on lower surface and glabrous on upper surface unicostate, reticulate venation. Arranged in pairs of one large and one small leaf and arranged somewhat laterally, having in their axila cymose cluster of 5-25 inconspicuous pale green flowers.
Flowers: Flowers are ebracteate, pedicellate, complete, hermaphrodite, pentamerous, actinomorphic and hypogynous, gamosepalous, 4-6 mm in diameter, lucid-yellow or greenish.
Fruits: Fruit is a berry enclosed in the green persistent calyx, 5 mm in diameter, smooth, more or less globose, green when unripe, orange-red coloured in ripening stage
Seeds: Bean shaped, endospermic, yellow andorange-red colored, somewhat scurfy. Fruit contains numerous small Capsicums like seeds.
Health Benefits of Ashwagandha
Withania somnifera, or Ashwagandha is a kind of shrub which is somewhat well-known in the area of Ayurvedic Medicine. Commonly based in the dry parts of India, it is known to cultivate throughout late rainy seasons and it has lots of use, not just in the industry of medication but in addition in cooking. Its berries are recognized to be great alternatives for rennet that is an important component for making cheese. Health wise, there are numerous advantages you could get from the plant, and here are some.
1. Immune System
The plant help boost the cells within the body that help remove bacteria along with other dangerous elements, thus enhancing the defense mechanisms. Additionally, it offers smooth transition of the oxygenated blood within the body, conditioning it for you to be capable of combat exhaustion as well as weakness frequently related to anemia.
Ashwagandha consists of anti-inflammatory qualities. Numerous research concluded that the plant helps in reducing inflammation brought on by osteoarthritis, pain, along with other handicap.
Bio chemical compounds found in Ashwagandha have got anti-oxidant qualities. It is confirmed by the number of laboratory tests as well as findings, and at the same time frame safeguards against oxidative damage.
4. Anti-Ageing Capacity
Ashwagandha is known to be one of the great anti-ageing agents. It help to hydrate and keep the cells as healthy and balanced as you possibly can, restoring the body with higher cells and lower cell degeneration.
Anti-depressant capabilities found in Ashwagandha is due to the existence of bio molecules which help impact brain chemistry. This can encourage a far more pleasant attitude in you as well as assist decrease the tiredness you’re currently experiencing.
6. Athletic Performance
The herb has a tendency to encourage the natural systems of the body by its adaptogenic qualities. As a result, during periods of exercise, Ashwagandha encourages better oxygen flow towards the muscle cells; permitting additional strength and much more stamina. It could also be useful in countering the effects of stress hormones during periods of physical exercise. In addition, Ashwagandha can also be valuable in manipulating the develop of lactic acid. Research has revealed that animals provided ashwagandha generally have much more endurance in physical activities plus they were more prone to build muscle mass rather than a test group not given ashwagandha dietary supplements.
Research has discovered that the ayurvedic medication Ashwagandha has got the property to assist avoid plaques from developing, and could possibly turn into a excellent medication against Alzheimer’s, Dementia, along with other similar health conditions.
8. Good for Anxiety due to stress
Ashwagandha is one of the best option to reduce anxiety due to stress. Stress affects both body and mind and could be a strain which leads to under performance. Many people may also state that stress decreases standard of living. Ashwagandha have been recorded in Ayurvedic and Greek medication because of its stress-combating qualities. Since the plant is recognized to help influence the neurotransmitters within the brain that affects your mood. This can help encourage a relaxing effect in you.
9. Potent Anti-Cancer Potential
Current research suggests that, it has got the possible ways to quit cancer cells. Researchers in India lately carried out cell research showing that ashwagandha extract interferes with cancer cells’ capability to copy-a crucial step in combating cancer. These findings add more assistance to ashwagandha’s probable function in eliminating cancer.
Since ancient times Ashwagandha is recommended in India by Ayurvedic practitioners just as one aphrodisiac. It was declared that they assist on matters associated with sexual actions as well as infertility issues. Till now several utilize this plant as a supplement for enhancing sexual actions and also to improve pregnancy rate among couples.
Ashwagandha is extremely useful in raising libido power in males and women. It encourages overall reproductive as well as sexual balance. To improve sexual vigor as well as sperm count & quality, men should ingest 1 tsp Ashwagandha root powder in 1 glass of milk. Ashwagandha is frequently utilized in herbal supplements which boost sexual interest and performance.
11. Anti-Microbial Properties
Research on mice demonstrated an anti microbial qualities in Ashwagandha. Oral administration of the herb inside rats demonstrated a decrease in the general bacterial load in several organs within the handled animals.
Ashwagandha is an excellent all-natural treatment for rheumatoid as well as osteoarthritis since it has got tonic as well as anti-inflammatory qualities. It handles the soreness of arthritis. The pain reducing capacity for Ashwagandha is just like aspirin as well as phenybutazone. To get rest from arthritis, consume 1 tsp Ashwagandha root powder combined with 1 glass of milk each morning. By consuming this particular milk, bone will likely become strong.
Ashwagandha is quite beneficial for people who are suffering from insomnia. Due to its hypnotic qualities, it is valuable in dealing with insomnia. To deal with insomnia, you need to use it along with Valerian root as well as Oyster shell.
14. Skin Care
Ashwagandha is beneficial for dealing with several skin difficulties. Paste made from ashwagandha roots and leaves are used outwardly to deal with carbuncles, ulcers as well as swellings. Leaves of Ashwagandha are warmed up in water and utilized to promote the affected areas for the treatment of boils as well as swelling. To take care of bedsores as well as wounds, the leaves of Ashwagandha are warmed up in fat or even ghee and used on to promote the affected parts. To avoid the dark spots onto the skin, use the paste of Ashwagandha leaves around the affected region.
15. Urinary Disorders
Ashwagandha is diuretic in nature so it is beneficial for treating urinary ailments. Additionally, it opens up the sweat pores which will help to drive out liquid wastes through sweating.
16. Milk Secretion and Sterility in Women
Ashwagandha taken with liquorice, Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) as well as Vidari (Ipomoea paniculata) helps you to boost the milk release. Additionally it is discovered that it may deal with sterility in females as well as enable them to get pregnant. To deal with sterility, women ought to drink powdered roots (6 grams) along with milk for a week constantly right after the monthly period.
17. Antibacterial properties
Ashwagandha is beneficial in dealing with bacterial infections in human beings. Research carried out at the Center for Biotechnology in University of Allahabad, India demonstrated that ashwagandha has got anti-bacterial qualities depending on the traditional belief. Additionally, it figured that ashwagandha was good at urino genital, gastrointestinal as well as respiratory system bacterial infections whenever ingested by mouth.
18. Cardio protective properties
As mentioned before Ashwagandha has got anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-stressor qualities that are wonderful for cardio health issues. It fortifies heart muscles, and also manage cholesterol levels. Research in University of Arizona, established that it offers hypolipidemic qualities lowering blood cholesterol levels down.
19. Antidepressant properties
Ashwagandha is utilized in Ayurveda to enhance mental and physical health. The results of ashwagandha on mental health, specifically in depressive disorders were researched, in the Institute of Medical Sciences at Banaras Hindu University, India. The research supported the advantages of ashwagandha in depression and anxiety.
20. Increased blood production
Haematopoiesis is the procedure of manufacturing new blood. Research concluded that ashwagandha has got hemopoetic qualities. Research demonstrated that red blood cell as well as white blood cell count increased significantly in rats that have been given with ashwagandha.
21. Weight Loss and Reduced Cortisol
Along with functioning like a stress hormone in the human body, furthermore, Cortisol could make you fat, according to Shawn Talbott’s, “The Cortisol Connection”. Worse, chronically elevated quantities of cortisol encourage illnesses just like obesity, coronary disease as well as diabetic issues. Ashwagandha will help you to decrease your body’s amount of cortisol as time passes, and therefore assist with weight reduction and much more.
22. Increased Energy
Ashwagandha naturally foster levels of energy simply by assisting body’s nervous system. In fact, it’s been theorized that our central nervous system may possibly work as a restricting element in severe training just like weight lifting. By serving as a buffer to physical stress, ashwagandha can enhance performance.
23. Reduced Blood Sugar
Ashwagandha decreases fasting blood glucose levels, which means it may assist improve glucose metabolism. Raised rates of blood glucose quick the pancreas to produce considerable amount of insulin to help keep nutrition. Glucose is driven by insulin into fat cells for storage. As time passes, constantly raised quantities of insulin may result in obesity, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome and type-2 diabetes, based on “The Fat Loss Bible” by Mackie Shilstone.
24. Memory tonic
Ashwagandha is a healer for central nervous system. It help in inhibition of neuron degeneration as well as repairs them. Several scientists claim that it will help in regrowth of damaged neuron network. It help in reducing stress simply by calming brain and therefore boosting memory, recall as well as concentration.
25. Alzheimer’s Disease
Ashwagandha is shown to decrease amyloid pigmentations within middle-aged mice. The reason behind this is that the plant’s extract can control the amount of LDL-related proteins (LRP). In Alzheimer’s disease, soluble LRP is low. Using the oral administration of the plant, it’s been indicated that it provides wonderful benefits in eliminating against the signs of said disease as well as its pathology. However, a greater dosage of the plant can be used to really make it a highly effective solution for such condition. In accordance with scientists, further research is required to conclude other advantages of this plant to such disease.
Ayurvedic Benefits of Ashwagandha
The roots, leaves as well as fruits of the plant are utilized in Ayurvedic diets & treatments. The herb is recommended to be utilized within the following ways:
- Paste of Ashwagandha leaves whenever applied to a local swelling works as anti-inflammatory.
- Herbal massage oil which include Ashwagandha herb is advantageous in several conditions just like paralysis, epilepsy, sleeplessness etc.
- Preparation of Ashwagandha that is refined along with ghee, sugar as well as honey is an extremely great aphrodisiac as well as boosts semen quantity, sperm count as well as flexibility. It really is successfully utilized in Erectile dysfunction, low libido as well as early ejaculation.
- Ashwagandha churna whenever utilized on a regular basis helps you to enhance the problems just like senile debility, rheumatism, in all cases of common debility, nervous exhaustion, brain-fag, low of memory, lack of muscular energy as well as spermatorrhoea. It improves body energy and also vitality. It will help to rebuild the body system that is worn out because of long-term illnesses just like syphilis, rheumatism etc. Additionally, it produces the lowered energy of body because of over-work, mental exertion thus avoiding early ageing.
- A good remedy to balance sweet cravings for vata could be prepared utilizing Ashwagandha. Roast an oz of Ashwagandha in ghee as well as include a tablespoon of date sugar. Store in the screw top glass jar within the refrigerator. This is often consumed each morning about 20 minutes just before breakfast, within the mid afternoon if sweet cravings occur and also at bedtime using a cup of hot milk.
- Ashwagandha whenever utilized frequently is extremely beneficial in bony children. It improves body weight and the body energy.
- Regular usage of Ashwagandha reduces blood sugar levels as well as levels of cholesterol.
- Fine powder of Ashwagandha well combined with oil is extremely beneficial in several skin disorders.
- Ashwagandha serves as galactogogue as well as thickens and boosts the nutritive value of the milk whenever provided to nursing mothers.
- Powdered root of ashwagandha (3 grams) helps you to deal with common cold.
- It can also be beneficial in dealing with Syphilis just by utilizing the paste of leaves about the sores.
- To treat tuberculosis, a combination prepared of Ashwagandha root, pepper and also honey is utilized.
- Giving 1 tsp ashwagandha root powder to the child simply by combining it within the bottle of milk assists them to become strong.
- Consuming 1 tsp ashwagandha root powder combined with ghee and honey helps you to build tissue as well as improve general strength.
- Supplement: a dose of 600 to 800 mg is usually recommended, however this can vary in accordance with the issue.
- Tonic: a tonic or tea can be created, and consumed twice daily; which is, each morning and also the evening. This could be produced by boiling ¾ tsp of the herb in the cup of water or milk. This really is cooked for Fifteen minutes.
- Oil: the oil is utilized a toner for skin right after mixing it using a large amount of almond oil. Rose water is included for further benefits.
- Topical cream: make use of a pumice to create a paste of the roots of the plant along with water. This is then used on to minimize joint and skin inflammations.
- Household uses: the roots are added throughout boiling milk to eliminate any infects within it. The berries can be used for making cheese as well as yogurt.
More about Ashwagandha
Current study on ashwagandha carried out in the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Japan had documented that the leaves of Ashwagandha were uniquely suppressing cancer cells.
Ashwagandha is a well-liked plant in Ayurveda that has been used for several hundreds of years now. It has received an essential place in Ayurveda because of its therapeutic qualities. The name of the plant originates from Sanskrit words Ashwa as well as Gandha which accurately imply a horse’s odour. The most crucial portion of ashwagandha is definitely the root. The root of the plant includes countless qualities which range from conditioning the defense mechanisms, raising libido, lowering arthritis and much more.
History of Ashwagandha
It really is indigenous to dry parts of India. It’s also the indigenous of Australia, E. Asia, and Africa. This particular herb is utilized for 4000 years plus in India. It is just a extremely important herb in ayurveda, the standard Indian medicine. Ashwagandha in Sanskrit signifies “horse’s smell”, most likely originating from the aroma of its root that looks like those of sweaty horse. The varieties title somnifera means “sleep-bearing” in Latin. Traditional uses of Ashwagandha among tribe individuals in Africa contain fevers as well as inflamation related conditions.The usage of Ashwagandha within Ayurvedic medication starts back over 3000 to 4000 years to the teachings of the prestigious rishi (sage) Punarvasu Atriya. It’s been explained within the holy texts of Ayurveda, like the Charaka as well as Sushruta Samhitas.
Ashwagandha grows prolifically in India, Pakistan, as well as Sri Lanka.
Traditional Medicinal benefits of Ashwagandha
- It is used to tone the uterus after a miscarriage and also in treating post-partum difficulties.
- It is used to treat nervous exhaustion, debility, insomnia, wasting diseases, failure to thrive in children, impotence, infertility, multiple sclerosis etc.
- It has been applied as a poultice to boils, swellings and other painful parts.
- It is used to improve vitality and aid recovery after chronic illness.
- It is used as an “adaptogen” to help the body cope with daily stress, and as a general tonic.
- People use ashwagandha for improving thinking ability, decreasing pain and swelling and preventing the effects of aging.
- It is used for fertility problems in men and women and also to increase sexual desire.
- It is applied to the skin for treating wounds, backache, and one-sided paralysis.
- Berries and leaves are applied externally to tumors, tubercular glands, carbuncles, and ulcers.
- In Yemen, dried leaves are ground to a powder from which a paste is made and used in the treatment of burns and wounds.
- It is used to cure diseases like rheumatism, leprosy and arthritis.
- It is also sometimes used to treat the memory loss.
- In cases of cancer Ashwagandha acts as the adjuvant.
- Seeds are used to curdle plant milks in order to make vegetarian cheeses.
- Berries can be used as a substitute for rennet in cheese making.
- The fruit is rich in saponins and can be used as a soap substitute.
- The leaves are an insect repellent.
- Ashwagandha mixed with the almond oil and rose water is used as the facial toner.
- Ashwagandha is taken with the milk, with sugar or honey as it promotes deep sleep.
How to Take Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha can be purchased in powder form, tinctures as well as capsules. It is almost always present in health food pharmacies as well as stories. Most often, individuals choose to utilize capsules, but when you’ve got difficulties ingesting capsules, the tincture could be the more suitable selection for you.
Take this procedure as recommended or even directed within the packaging. Additionally, you can include a teaspoon of powdered form of Ashwagandha within milk and drink it before you decide to sleep.
When you’re using Ashwagandha, you have to monitor your temperature since it might cause your temperature to increase. Likewise, you have to talk to your doctor for the best dose for you. It’s also advisable to stick to the recommended dosage in order to avoid poisoning levels.
Ashwagandha Side Effects & Safety
Ashwagandha might be safe whenever used orally short-term. The long-term safety of ashwagandha just isn’t known. Huge doses of ashwagandha may cause stomach upset, diarrhea, as well as vomiting. It’s not known whether it’s safe to use ashwagandha straight to the skin.
1. Pregnant women:
Women that are pregnant mustn’t utilize ashwagandha herb. It is because it really is rated that it’s most likely hazardous for ladies while pregnant. Additionally there is several evidence that the herb ashwagandha could cause miscarriages.
2. Breast-feeding or nursing:
The usage of ashwagandha herb throughout nursing or even breast-feeding just isn’t sufficient known. However, it is safe to prevent its use throughout nursing.
3. Stomach ulcers:
The herb ashwagandha may also aggravate GIT (gastrointestinal tract). As a result it’s better to prevent its use if you suffer from with stomach ulcers.
Ashwagandha might also reduce the working of the nervous system. Health care individuals worry that several medicines as well as anesthesia after and during surgery may possibly improve this effect. Therefore, it is advisable to quit taking ashwagandha herb a minimum of two weeks or even prior to the planned surgery time.
5. Auto-immune diseases or other conditions:
An auto-immune disease which includes lupus (SLE, systemic lupus erythematosus), Multiple sclerosis (MS), rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and/or other conditions may possibly aggravate on the usage of this particular herb. Ashwagandha herb could cause a boost in the activity of the defense mechanisms and also this could boost the auto-immune diseases symptoms. Therefore, individuals struggling with any kind of these conditions should prevent the usage of ashwagandha.
- Herb may induce abortion, so pregnant women should not use it.
- May decrease the effectiveness of allopathic immunosuppressant drugs.
- Avoid with sleeping tablets.
- Ashwagandha might cause sleepiness and drowsiness.
- Large doses of ashwagandha might cause stomach upset, diarrhea, and vomiting
- Ashwagandha should be used cautiously or avoided if you have a thyroid condition or take thyroid hormone medications.
- Ashwagandha might lower blood sugar levels. This could interfere with medications used for diabetes and cause blood sugar levels to go to low.
Ashwagandha might lower blood pressure. Combining ashwagandha with other herbs and supplements that also lower blood pressure might cause blood pressure to go to low.
Ashwagandha scientifically known as Withania somnifera is a small, branched, perennial woody shrub that grows usually about 2 feet in height and is naturally found in diverse areas ranging from Africa, the Mediterranean and East into India. It is commonly known as Poison gooseberry, Ayurvedic Ginseng, Cerise d’Hiver, Clustered Wintercherry, Winter Cherry, Withania, Withania somnifera. Because of its higher nutritional value it is grown throughout the world.
|Scientific Name||Withania somnifera|
|Native||Southern Europe, Africa, Asia|
|Common Names||Poison gooseberry, Ayurvedic Ginseng, Cerise d’Hiver, Clustered Wintercherry, Ghoda Asoda, Ginseng Ayurvédique, Ginseng Indien, Hayahvaya, Indian Ginseng, Kanaje, Kuthmithi, Orovale, Peyette, Physalis somnifera, Samm Al Ferakh, Samm Al Rerakh, Sogade-Beru, Strychnos, Turangi-Ghanda, Vajigandha, Winter Cherry, Withania, Withania somnifera|
|Name in Other Languages||Arabic: Khasrqut, eujshaa alghurab (خصرقوت، عجشى الغراب), sukran (sakaran, sikran (سكران (سَكَران، سِكْران)), sm alfarr (sim alfar) (سم الفار (سِم الفار))، eurur (eawrwr) (عورور (عَورور))، labakh (labakh) (لبخ (لَبَخ)), sm alfarakh (sim alfirakh) (سم الفراخ (سِم الفِراخ))، mrjan (murjan) (مرجان (مُرجان)), shajjarah alghurab (shajrt alghurab) (شجره الغراب (شَجرة الغُراب))، labakh (libakh) (لبخ (لِبَخ)), sharm (sharm) (شرم (شَرْم))، hamir alghurab (حمير الغراب), faqish (fqqysh) (فقيش (فقّيش))، sharmah (sharmh, shirmh) (شرمه (شَرمه، شِرمه))
Bengali : Ashvagandh
Canarese : Amangura, Hirimaddina-gadde, Sogada-bery
Chinese: Shuì jiā( 睡茄)
English: Winter-cherry, withania, Poison gooseberry, Rennet
Gujarati: Ghodaasun, Asam, Asoda, Ghodasoda
Hindi: Asgandh (असगंध), Ashwagandha (अश्वगंधा), punir(पुनीर), Rasbhari
Marathi: Ghoda, Tilli, Asgundh, Kanchuki, Askandha
Sanskrit: ashwahagandha, Ashvagandha, Balada, Gandhpatri, Kamrupini, Vajini
Tamil: Amukkilaachedi, Amukkuram, Karappaan thazhai, Asuragandhi, Amukkira
Telegu: Vajigandha, Asvagandhi, Pennereu
|Plant Growth Habit||Small, branched, perennial woody shrub|
|Growing Climate||Requires a warm sheltered position in full sun. Found in the woodland garden, cultivated beds and dappled shade.|
|Soil||Prefers light sandy, medium loamy and well-drained soil. Prefers a dry stony soil.|
|Plant Size||0.5 m to 1.5 m tall|
|Root||Long, whitish brown, tuberous roots|
|Leaf||Dull green, elliptic, usually up to 10–12 cm (4 to 5 in) long.|
|Flower||Small, sessile, greenish or lurid yellow and bell-shaped|
|Fruit Shape & Size||Smooth berry, oblong, rounded 8-10 mm in diameter, spherical, glossy, scarlet, enclosed within an enlarged accrescent calyx, c. 2 cm enclosed in the persistent calyx|
|Seed||Yellow and scurfy.|
|Plant Parts Used||Root, stem, fruit, leaves, seeds|
|Major Nutrition||Total dietary Fiber 32.3 g (85.00%)
Iron, Fe 3.3 mg (41.25%)
Carbohydrate 49.9 g (38.38%)
Protein 3.9 g (7.80%)
Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) 3.7 mg (4.11%)
Calcium, Ca 23 mg (2.30%)
Total Fat (lipid) 0.3 g (0.86%)
|Calories in (100 gm)||245 K cal|