|Green Chilli Quick Facts|
|Origin||South and Central America|
|Colors||Light green to a dark olive|
|Shapes||Long and slender; 4 ½ to 5 ½ inches long; half inch wide|
|Taste||Mild, tingling to explosively hot|
|Major nutrients||Vitamin C (52.78%)
Vitamin B9 (18.75%)
Vitamin B6 (12.85%)
Literally, chilies are originated in Mexico. Various cultivars spread across the word after Columbian exchange and used for both food purposes and as traditional medicine. The cultivars in Europe and North America is derived from Capsicum annuum and bears yellow, white, purple, red to black fruits. Unripe fruits are green and as it ripens turn to red color. Basically, it is a valuable source of Vitamin A, B, C, E and P, and minerals such as magnesium, iron, potassium, macronutrients and dietary fibers.
This chilli is well-known for its intense pungent taste which is provided by the active constituent Capsaicin, a stimulant with no narcotic effect. It has a crucial role in boosting immunity and acts as anti-ulcer, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-hemorrhoidal and anti-epileptic agent. It also helps to manage burns, psoriasis, chronic migraine, diabetes and heart disorders.
Archeologists claim that Capsicum was used 9000 years ago as food in Mexico. Peppers are cultivated widely in South and Central America and were brought in 1943 to Spain till it is familiar to Europe. It was cultivated in these regions for more than 7000 years. Firstly, green chilli was used as a decorative item and later it is used as medicine and foods. In 15th and 16th century, chili peppers were introduced to the rest of the world. In 1548, it was brought to Britain from India. Christopher Columbus confronted chili during explorations of Caribbean Islands. Chili was brought again to the Europe. Then it was used for a black pepper substitute, which was expensive as it had to be imported from Asia. Today, chili plants are cultivated widely in all continents.
Health Benefits of Green Chili
Green chilies are used raw, fried or added to curries. Apart from being delicious, it is high content of vitamins. It is loaded with enormous health benefits that are listed below:
- Source of antioxidant
Green chilies are the great source of antioxidants. It has ample amounts of Vitamin C, A, B complex (B6 and B9). It reimburses the damaging effects of bacteria in the bodies and helpful to prevent blood clotting which is a major cause for cardiovascular problems such as cardiac arrest and heart stroke. It hinders the extent of cancer to colon, lungs and prostate.
- Reduces inflammation
Green chilies provide relief from pain and swelling is associated with outraging bone ailments such as rheumatoid, osteoarthritis and arthritis.
- Soothes respiratory system
Chilies contain phytonutrients that relaxes respiratory passage and reduces the chances of lung cancer with prevention of problems related with lungs such as cough, asthma and cold.
- Prevent infections
Green chilies have anti-bacterial properties that prevents from infections such as athlete’s foot, colon infections and herpes zoster.
- Enhance immunity
It encompasses essential nutrients such as Vitamin C and B6 that enhance the immunity of the body to counteract diseases.
- Supports digestion
Green chilies are packed with essential dietary fiber that cleanses colon and supports healthy bowel movements and also prevents the chances of constipation.
- Rich in calcium
Adequate amount of calcium in green chilies is must for keeping the bones and teeth healthy as well as strong. It also repairs tissues and helps in forming new blood cells.
- Vision health
Green chilies contains Vitamin A, an essential nutrient required for improving vision and lower the chances of cataracts and macular degeneration that occurs as people ages.
- Assist to lose weight
No calories are found in green chilies. Also it promotes the body’s metabolism and helps to burn excess fat from the body.
- Radiant skin
Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant facilitates the formation of collagen which maintains firmness as well as health of the skin. The phytonutrients found in it helps to cure rashes, acne, blemishes, pimples and wrinkles. Vitamin E forms natural oils which are beneficial for the skin.
- Positive mood
Capsaicin releases the good endorphins and acts as anti-depressant keeping the mood positive.
- Hair health
Green chilies contain natural silicon that promotes blood circulation to the scalp and hair follicles. As a stimulator, it protects hair follicles. The chilies have Vitamin C that absorbs iron and provides oxygen to the hair by preventing of split ends and hair breakage.
- Use green chilies in breads, curries, stir fries and meat dishes.
- Especially, green chilies are used in pickles, chutney, sauces and spicy snacks.
- Use chilies as a topping for burritos, egg dishes, enchiladas and fries.
- It is used in savory dishes such as dals, breads and appetizers.
- Green chilli helps to lower the appearance of scars and wrinkles.
- It is useful to treat malarial fevers, constiaption, gout and hemorrhoids.
- It is used in tinctures and ointments for its anti-pruritic, astringent, analgesic and counter-irritant properties.
Select the fresh, crisp and bright ones with no spots. Store it in a refrigerator to last for more than a week.
- When consumed in high amounts, it causes stomach and skin irritation.
- Don’t touch nose, mouth and eyes after handling chilies. Wash hands thoroughly.
- Limit its intake for maintaining good health as the high concentration of capsaicin can be toxic to the body.
- With high fiber content, too much consumption leads to diarrhea or loose motion.
- It may cause rectal inflammation.
- Excess intake increases the bodily temperature and result in mouth ulcers.
- It also increases the chances of allergy.
- Intake of chilies may cause abortion when consumed in excess.
- Regular intake of chilli helps to prevent the onset of cancer cells in the body.
- Chili is known to cleanse skin and provide fair complexion by stimulating perspiration.
- The hotness of Green chili ranges from 15000 to 30000 in Scoville scale.
- Also it is used as non-lethal self-defense spray.