|Pasta benefits and nutritional value Quick Facts|
|Name:||Pasta benefits and nutritional value|
|Origin||The ancient Greek used the flattened dough that features lasagna. The combination of egg and wheat with water was known before which was roasted on the hot stones.|
|Colors||Cream, green, red, gray|
|Major nutrients||Selenium (59.45%)
Vitamin B1 (28.33%)
Vitamin B9 (22.75%)
|Health benefits||Cardiac muscles, Stroke, Brain functions, Treat PMS, Healthy hair|
|More facts about Pasta benefits and nutritional value|
The ancient Greek used the flattened dough that features lasagna. The combination of egg and wheat with water was known before which was roasted on the hot stones. It is known to be baking. It was followed by the Romans during 1st century AD by making a dish named lasagna with fish or meat. In the 5th century, noodles were known to Talmud. It was prepared like pasta in Arab lands which then spread to Italy. The penetration of Arabs to Sicily introduced there as well. The product made from flour in the strings shape was introduced in Palermo.
It was also considered to be brought by Marco Polo when he returned in 1295 from China. The books of Italian recipes from early twenty years that contains the pasta dishes references. He confronted pasta during travels. Pasta might have been existed in the China from the early years. Until 14th century, pasta was not well known which spread to New World when the Spanish and Italian explorers navigate seas to new lands. In 15th century, the tubes of pasta spread to the Old World. In the 17th century, it was considered as the common food. During 18th century, pasta was widely popular in the New World. In the mid-19th century, cheese and macaroni was mostly enjoyed. Lasagna and Spaghetti was the other forms that were widely spread.
124 g of pasta contains 196 calories, 77.04 g of moisture, 7.19 g of protein, 1.15 g of total fat, 0.33 g of ash, 38.27 g of carbohydrate, 2.2 g of total dietary fiber, 0.69 g of total sugars, 0.11 g of sucrose, 0.05 g of glucose, 0.04 g of fructose, 0.5 g of maltose and 32.25 g of starch. It has the minerals such as 9 mg of calcium, 1.59 mg of iron, 22 mg of magnesium, 72 mg of phosphorus, 55 mg of potassium, 1 mg of zinc, 0.63 mg of copper, 0.399 mg of manganese, 32.7 µg of selenium and 8.7 µg of fluoride.
Health Benefits of Pasta
Pasta is served in all restaurants. It is a nourishing meal which is easier to make. It has high content of fiber. It has antioxidant properties which help to prevent diabetes. It satisfies hunger and stores energy. It is loaded with adequate amount of minerals, vitamins and phytonutrients.
- Cardiac muscles
Vitamin assists the formation of neurotransmitter acetylcholine that transfers the message between muscles and nerves and promotes the cardiac function. The intake of Vitamin B1 by the congestive heart failure patients helps to prevent heart ailments. (1)
Homocysteine is the cause for heart attacks and strokes that helps to prevent the brain. Additionally, high intake of homocysteine results in bone weakening and raises the probability of fractures. Vitamin B9 controls the chemicals in the body that lowers the chances of stroke. (2)
- Brain functions
Iron assists in the development of brain. It helps to supply the oxygen to the brain which uses about 20% of oxygen. Iron is associated with the brain functions. The blood flow promotes the cognitive activity and forms neural pathways that prevent the cognitive ailments such as Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. (3)
- Treat PMS
Women go through premenstrual syndrome. So manganese provides relief from headaches, mood swings, irritability and depression. One should consult the doctor before using manganese for PMS. (4)
- Healthy hair
Protein is essential for the maintenance of healthy hair and prevents it from damage. The studies show that protein plays a vital role in the growth of hair. Due to this, protein is used in producing the hair care products like conditioners. (5) (6)
- Treat arthritis
Copper has anti-inflammatory properties which lowers the arthritis symptoms. The people use copper bracelets to cure the condition of arthritis. It is an aid for arthritis by storing the copper in the water overnight to acquire the copper traces. It helps to strengthen the muscular system. (7)
- Assist digestion
Niacin is an aid for normal functions of digestive system, nerves, enhances appetite and glowing skin. (8)
- Assist RBC production
Riboflavin is required for the production of red blood cells as well as antibodies in the human body that raises the oxygenation and circulation in the organs systems. (9)
- Repair cells
It helps to repair the maintenance and process of the body cells that wears and tears easily. It promotes the cells of the body and overall health. It forms protein and stimulates hormones to enhance metabolic activity. (10)
- Prostate health
Zinc is essential for treating the prostate ailments. The deficiency of zinc leads to enlargement of prostate gland and cancer. The prostate disorder patients should daily intake 15 mg of zinc. It lowers the chances of tumor in the prostate. (11)
Mistakes to avoid
- The pasta should not be added before the water boils.
- One should not use a small pot.
- Avoid breaking long pasta into pieces.
- The pasta should not be overcooked.
- It should be drained completely.
- Pasta should be dressed properly.
How to Eat
- It is served as a side or main dish.
- It is added to salads, soups and desserts.
- In America, Pasta soup is widely popular.
- In Mexico, South and Central America, the pasta is added to various stews and soups.
- In North America, pasta is consumed with chicken, beef and vegetable.
- It could also be baked and fried.
- It is usually served with sauce.
- In North Italy, garlic, herbs and less tomato is used.
- Due to the high content in carbohydrates that may fluctuate the level of blood sugar and result in diabetes if consumed for long time.
- The pasta made from rye, wheat and barley contains gluten which could cause irritable bowel syndrome and celiac disease to the people that are intolerable to gluten.
- The people allergic to gluten could experience giddiness, fatigue, mouth ulcers, abdominal bloating and depression.
- It could aggravate endometriosis.
- The high consumption of pasta could lead to gaining weight due to the presence of high amount of calories.
- The digestive problem might be experienced.
- White pasta increases the level of LDL cholesterol that could lead in blood clots, strokes and high blood pressure.
- It stimulates the growth of bacteria names pathogenic or microflora yeast in gut.
- In 1154, the first reference was made to pasta in a book.
- It is made from the flour of durum wheat.
- About 600 types of pasta have got more than 1300 names.
- Spaghetti, penne and macaroni are the three widely popular pastas.
- Egg is contained in fresh egg pasta.
- Al dente is the Italian way to cook pasta.
- The pasta which is cooked is frozen and could be consumed within 3 months.
- About 1432990 tons of pasta is produced by Italy in a year.
- October is regarded as the National Pasta month.
- The pasta made from Durum wheat is of top quality.
- Annually, US produce about 4.4 billion pounds of pasta.
- United States, UK, Germany and France are the top producers of pasta.
- Pasta is consumed by hand.
- The term Pasta was derived from the Latin word meaning dough.