|Rye bread Quick Facts|
|Scientific Name:||Secale cereal|
|Origin||Europe, North America, Israel|
|Taste||Rye, a touch of sour|
|Major nutrients||Selenium (18.00%)
Vitamin B1 (11.58%)
Rye bread in dark is considered to be predominant food through middle Ages. Various types of rye grain has come from North-central, Eastern Europe such as Finland, Scandinavia, Russia, Poland, Baltic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, France, Germany, Czech Republic and Austria. In 500 AD, Danes and Saxons settled in Britain.
Around 500 AD, the Saxons and Danes settled in Britain and introduced rye, which was well suited to its temperate climates. Rye is a predominant cereal crops and this grass type is cultivated extensively throughout the world. Scientifically, it is known as Secale cereal. It resembles barley and wheat agriculturally so it has similar applications. In these present days, majority of rye is cultivated in Eastern Europe into Central and Northern Russia but also found in China, North America and South America. It belongs to the top five most consumed cereals in the planet.
Health Benefits of Rye Bread
Rye bread is beloved by health conscious people and switching to rye from wheat bread provides wide range of benefits:
- Rich fiber
Foods rich in fiber assist digestion and cholesterol. Rye bread has high content of fiber and twice than wheat based breads. Additional fiber found in rye bread supports digestion and makes feel full for longer time period after meal. The composition and density of dietary fiber in rye is effective for treating the people with constipation or blockage of bowel. It could lower excess gas, cramping and ease stomach pain and also prevents serious health conditions such as gallstones, ulcers and colon cancer.
- Promote satiety
Adding rye bread to the diet makes one feel less hungry and also controls appetite by keeping one satisfied for hours. The study shows that people with same caloric intake from breakfast with addition to rye porridge as a substitute to wheat or other grain experienced satisfied feeling for eight hours without intake of more food.
- Reduce gluten intake
People with gluten cut down should add rye bread as a perfect substitute to bagel. It has low level of gluten than white breads. It is effective for people having slight sensitivity.
- Ample nutrients
Rye is an excellent source of magnesium and iron. It offers more than wheat and also offers zinc as a bonus. The body deficient in these vital nutrients affects both mood and energy levels. Rye bread has twice more potassium than white bread which is crucial to regulate blood pressure. A slice of bread contains more than just carbohydrates. It contains magnesium, calcium, zinc, manganese, iron and pantothenic acid.
- Combat asthma
Recent study has shown that the children diet has a crucial role in the development of asthma. Rye bread is known to be effective to counteract health conditions such as asthma. It showed that children with rye on diet have low chances of developing childhood asthma.
- Gallstone prevention
Foods rich in fiber assist in preventing gallstones. Rye is perfect for maintaining a healthy body. The fiber content on rye is four times more than rye bread. People who are prone to gallstones should add rye bread to the diet which assists in preventing this health problem. It has certain elements that help to lower the bile acids which are the cause for gallstones.
- Boost metabolism
Rye bread helps to boost metabolic rate. Fiber found in it has certain properties that assist body to use all the extra energy that could be converted to fat. This also assists in shedding extra weight.
- Combat diabetes
Rye has low glycemic index referring fiber in it forms less amount of glucose. It helps to avoid insulin spines in diabetic people. It balances the level of blood sugar avoiding chronic ailments. Rye helps to maintain digestive health. Fiber found in it is known as prebiotic which provides relief from constipation. It comforts stomach cramps and pains. It also favors in treating ulcers.
- Heart health
Rye bread helps to prevent heart problems as well. Fiber reduces the level of cholesterol. It has been discovered that genes could be controlled with right diet. People with any heart related conditions should add rye bread to the diet.
- Lowers inflammation
Research shows that inflammation is the major cause for many diseases. Adding nutritional elements such as rye in the diet could lower inflammation in the body. Add rye to the diet to maintain overall health. Inflammation promotes the chances of type 2 diabetes.
- Skeletal health
Rye has ample amounts of calcium and magnesium. Bones are the storehouse of calcium. It stores 99 percent of the calcium in the body and releases it to bloodstream when required. The good content of calcium, manganese and magnesium helps in formation of stronger bones and teeth.
- Maintain blood pressure
Rye is known as heart friendly grain. People experiencing high blood pressure should add it to a regular diet. The number of variables such as vitamin, fiber and mineral content has positive effects in the body.
Making of Rye Bread
- 200 g wholemeal flour
- 200 g rye flour (plus extra)
- 7 g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 1 tsp caraway seed (optional)
- Place the salt, flours and yeast to a bowl. In a jug, combine honey in addition to 250 ml of warm water. Pour this liquid into a bowl and mix it well to prepare dough. (Rye flour absorbs lots of water and is quite dry). Keep on adding water till one form soft dough. Put it in a work surface and knead for about 10 minutes till smooth. (Rye has less gluten in comparison to white flour).
- Transfer the dough to a well-oiled bowl. Cover it with cling film and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 to 2 hours or till the dough becomes double in size. Sprinkle 900 g loaf tin with flour.
- Put the dough again to the work surface and knead to knock out any air bubbles. Shape it to a smooth oval loaf and pop it to a tin. With the use of oiled cling film, cover the tin and leave it to rise for further 1 to 1.5 hours.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas. Discard the cling film and dust the surface of loaf with rye flour. Cut a few incisions on angle. Then bake for about 30 minutes till it obtains dark brown color and hollow sounding when tapped. Transfer it to a wire cooling rack and let it cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Side effects of rye bread
- People with gluten sensitivity should avoid this grain.
- Adequate information is not available on safety of using rye bread during pregnancy and breastfeeding so it is better to avoid.