|Shankapushpi Quick Facts|
|Scientific Name:||Convolvulus pluricaulis|
|Shapes||Nut, oblong, trigonous, stramineous and stiptate|
In Ayurvedic medicine, it is mentioned as Medhya Rasayana that means rejuvenating to intellect or brain. It is used as memory enhancer and as tranquilizing and anxiolytic properties. Moreover, it encompasses antioxidant, diuretic, antiulcer, anti-diabetic, antimicrobial, analgesic, antipyretic, insecticidal, hypotensive and anti-inflammatory properties.
Shankapushpi herb is the herb which bears sky blue flowers about 5 mm. Leaves are formed on alternate positions with branches/flowers which are elliptic and about 2 mm in size. Branches are spread around the ground and are about more than 30 cm long. The plant blooms flowers in the month of September and October and the color ranges from white to light pink. The flower’s shape resembles Shankh/
Convolvulus pluricaulis herb is commonly found especially in the state of Bihar in India. Congolvulus pluricaulis flowers are sky blue in color and about 5 mm in size the leaves are located at alternate positions with branches or flowers they are elliptic in shape and about 2 mm in size. Convolvulus pluricaulis branches are spread around the ground and can be more than 30 cm long. The herb produces flowers during the months of September and October which are white to light pink in color. The shape of the flower is like “Shankh” (a marine shell) giving it the name is Shankhpushpi.
Health Benefits of Shankapushpi
Shankapushpi is a cure for various diseases such as hypotension, stresses, anxiety neurosis, hypertension etc. It manages the production of stress hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline in the body and lowers stress and anxiety. It also acts as rejuvenation therapy, tranquilizer and psycho-stimulant.
- Neurodegenerative diseases
Shankhapushpi has memory enhancing property which is helpful in treating neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s diseases. It also contains anti-ulcer properties and helpful for treating symptoms of dementia, hyperthyroidism and lowers the activeness of liver enzyme.
- Enhance memory
Shankhapushpi is the crucial natural medicine for improving memory duo to the chemical composition that includes phytonutrients such as Scopoline ß-Sitosterol, Subhirsine, Convolvidine, Convolvine, Convoline, Phyllabine and Confoline. It is used as a brain tonic and brain stimulator. The regular intake of Shankhapushpi prevents the chances of memory loss.
- Hypertension and ulcers
This herb is effective to combat various ulcers that are formed in the body because of mucous secretions and glycoprotein. It enhances nerve tissues and promotes the quality of bone marrow and nerve tissues. It has anti-ulcer activity due to mucosal defensive factors such as glycoprotein and mucin secretion. It is studied that Shankapushpi is an aid for hypothyroidism.
- Beauty purpose
Shankapushpi is used as a tonic and febrifuge for nourishing skin layers and helps to enhance beauty. It is used to form decoction with milk and calcium.
- Decrease cholesterol
It lowers the level of cholesterol in blood including phospholipids, triglycerides and also eliminates certain types of fatty acids found to be harmful for the body.
- Reduces gastric ulcers
Generally gastric ulcers are caused when the stomach produce excess amount of acid. It is usually due to irregular eating habits. The production of excess acid ruptures stomach lining from inside that causes ulcers and lesions. Study shows that Shankhpushpi herb helps to lower gastric ulcers by healing lesions faster and also strengthen mucus membranes and mucosal cells.
- Reduce stress
Shankhpushpi helps to lower stress levels and maintain the brain in a relaxed state. Animal studies concluded that Shankhpushpi has depression and stress lowering properties.
- Controls neurotoxicity levels
Besides relieving stress and anti-depressant, Shankhpushpi lowers the toxins effect in brain. Lab study shows that aluminium chloride has high level of neurotoxicity. The extracts of Shankhpushpi lowered neurotoxicity to some extent.
- Acts as analgesic
Shankhpushpi has pain reducing abilities as well which helps to deal with arthritis, rheumatic pains and osteoarthritis. Its pain killer effects are similar to morphine induced ones.
- Treats hyperthyroid
Thyroid gland is a vital gland that regulates metabolism rate in the body by producing thyroid hormones. The excess of thyroid hormones results to hyperthyroidism disease. The regular intake of Shankhpushpi helps to lower the chances of thyroidism.
- Prevent wrinkles
Wrinkles form on the skin due to dry skin, lack or moisture and aging. Shankhpushpi oil helps to manage wrinkles and increase the moisture content in skin. It also lowers skin cells degeneration and acts as anti-aging due to its Rasayana properties.
- Apply the mixture of 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of Shankhpushpi powder and honey to face and neck.
- Let it remain for at least 20 to 30 minutes.
- Wash with plain water.
The increase in sebum production can lead to pores clogging that results in formation of blackheads as well as whiteheads. Applying Shankhpushpi helps to manage acne. It prevents excess production of sebum, prevents the chances of clogging of pores and lowers inflammation.
- Apply the mixture of 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Shankhpushpi powder and honey to face and neck.
- Let it remain for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash it with plain water.
- Premature greying and hair growth
Shankhpushpi prevents the hair conditions such as premature greying, hair fall and also promotes hair growth due to its rejuvenating properties.
- Massage scalp and hair with few drops of Shankhpushpi oil.
- Repeat this to prevent hair fall and premature greying of hair.
- Wound healing
Shakhpushpi helps to heal wounds, reduce swelling and provides normal skin texture. It lowers skin inflammation.
- Boil ½-1 teaspoon of Shankhpushpi powder in 2 to 4 cups of water till it reduces to 1 cup.
- Filter the liquid and clean the affected area once or twice a day for quick wound healing.
- Traditionally, Shankhpushpi is used for treating insomnia, nervous debility and low energy level.
- The herb is used in form of decoction with cumin and milk in fever, loss of memory and nervous debility.
- It is a cure for bowel complaints especially dysentery.
- It promotes the peace and feeling of calm, good sleep and also provides relief from stress and anxiety.
- The plant extract is used for treating hematemesis and insanity.
- Leaves are used for treating asthma and bronchitis.
- Plant roots are used to cure childhood fever.
- The plant extracts eliminates fluid retention in the body and assist digestion.
- In Ayurveda, the plant is used for treating epilepsy.
- It helps to improve memory and intellect.
- In Ayurvedic formulation, it is used for sleeplessness, chronic cough, hallucinations, epilepsy and anxiety.
How to use shankhpushpi
- Shankhpushpi Powder with Milk
Take ½ to 1 teaspoon of Shankhpushpi powder with lukewarm milk in the morning. This helps to improve memory as well as concentration.
- Shankhpushpi Juice with Water
Take 3 to 4 teaspoons of Shankhpushpi juice mixed with one glass of water twice a day. This helps to lower the chances of epilepsy.
- Shankhpushpi Capsule
Take 1 to 2 capsules of Shankhpushpi with milk or water after meals.
- Excess use of Shankhpushpi can cause stomach problems such as loose motion.
- Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should use this herb under medical supervision.
- People with low blood pressure should avoid it as it lowers the blood pressure of the body.
- People with certain medications should consult the doctor before use.
- Have 2 ml juice of Shankpushpp with honey for treating epilepsy and excessive menstruation.
- For hysteria, epilepsy and delirium, take 3 grams of mixture of Brahmi, Sweet flag/bach and Shankhpushpi twice a day.
- For headache, take 1 gram of Shankhpushpi powder and 250 milligrams of Black henbane with hot water.
- Take the mixture of Shankhpushpi powder (2 grams) and black sesame (1 gram) with milk. This is helpful for bed wetting.
- For high blood pressure, take Shankhpushpi juice (10 to 20 ml) every morning and evening.
- Take 10 to 15 ml of Shankhpushpi juice or 5 grams of Shankhpushpi powder for diabetes.
- For vomiting, take the mixture of 2 tsp. Shankhpushpi juice, black pepper and honey.
- Fresh Juice of whole plant: 20-30 ml twice a day.
- Dried powder of whole plant: 3-6 grams twice a day.
- Shankhpushpi sharbat: 15-20 ml twice/thrice a day.
- Medhya Rasayana: 5-10 grams twice a day.
- Saraswatarishta: 15-30 ml with an equal quantity of water.
- Brahmi Rasayana: 1 teaspoonful twice a day.
- Shankhpushpi Taila/oil: (For External use only) Apply on the affected areas.