|Zedoary Essential oil Quick Facts|
|Name:||Zedoary Essential oil|
|Scientific Name:||Curcuma Zedoaria|
|Origin||India and Indonesia|
|Health benefits||Fights against cancerous cells, Relieves pain and inflammation, Treats respiratory problems, Excellent digestive aid|
The essential oil contains D-borneol; D-camphene; D-camphor; cineole; curculone; curcumadiol; curcumanolide A and B; Curcumenol; curcumenone curcumin; curcumol; curdione; dehydrocurdione; alpha-pinene; mucilage; starch; resin; sesquiterpenes; and sesquiterpene alcohols. The root also contains numerous other bitter substances; tannins; and flavonoids.
Though the Zedoary (Curcuma Zedoaria) is native to India and Indonesia, it is also found in the flat southern terrain forests of Nepal. It was introduced to Europe by Arabs around the sixth century, but its use as a spice in the West today is extremely rare. Zedoary is a rhizome, also known as Kachur in Nepali and grows in tropical and subtropical wet forest of Nepal. The fragrant plant bears yellow flowers with red and green bracts and the underground stem section is large and tuberous with numerous branches. The leaf shoots of the zedoary are long and can reach 1 meter (3 feet) in height. The edible root of zedoary has a white interior and a fragrance reminiscent of mango; however its flavor is more similar to ginger, except with a very bitter aftertaste. In Indonesia it is ground to a powder and added to curry pastes, whereas in India it tends to be used fresh or pickled.
History of Zedoary Plant
This plant is native to both India and Indonesia and now it is found in many parts of the world including US. Zedoary was introduced to Arabian countries by Europeans during 6th century. But today many countries use ginger instead of this one. Zedoary grows wonderfully in tropical and subtropical wet forest regions.
Health Benefits of Zedoary Essential Oil
Zedoary Essential Oil is known to be an excellent supplement for the digestive systems with a large scale utility for the gastrointestinal stimulant in flatulent colic. It also assists in preventing stress ulceration. The herbal extract has medicinal use in traditional eastern medicine where it has been used as an aid to digestion, a relief for colic, for blood purification, and as anti-venom for the Indian cobra. Listed below are few of the popular health benefits of using zedoary essential oil
1. Excellent digestive aid
Zedoary herb is used to treat problems in the digestive system especially in the gastrointestinal tract since ancient times. The herb and its essential oil are supposed to be beneficial in treating indigestion, colic, loss of appetite, spasms, flatulence, infestation of worms, tastelessness and irregular bowel movement. It is considered as a natural aid for preventing ulceration due to stress.
The oil is proven safe for using it on the skin. Add 3 drops of Zedoary essential oil with almond oil and gently massage it on your tummy for relieving from colic, dyspepsia, flatulence, indigestion, irregular bowel movement and spasms.
Apart from that you can also add 2 drops of this oil to warm bathing water for stimulating your digestion, improving your appetite and assist in expelling the worms through excretion. Adding 2 to 3 drops of Zedoary oil to your diffuser will also help in enhancing your appetite, reducing vomiting sensation and promoting speedy digestive process.
2. Treats respiratory problems
Respiratory problems mainly occur due to the excess of kapha dosha, due to which fluids like mucous and phlegm gets deposited in the lungs and other parts of the body. It blocks the nasal passages and ends up in breathing difficulties and other respiratory disorders like cough, asthma and cold.
Adding 3 drops of Zedoary oil to steaming water and inhaling the medicated steam releasing the camphoraceous aroma of this oil can assist you in loosening the phlegm and mucous deposits and ease breathing. You can also add 2 drops of this oil in your rubs and gently massage it on your neck, chest and back to treat congestion, cold and blocked nose.
3. Relieves pain and inflammation
As an effective anti-inflammatory agent, Zedoary oil helps in treating wounds, inflammation and certain other skin ailments. This herb was used in the Indonesian folk medicine for its effective anti-inflammatory property mostly in treating ulcerative colitis known as an inflammatory bowel disease. It was also used in protecting the lungs of the asthmatic patients by restraining the release of inflammatory mediators during the short-term treatment
The diuretic properties of this oil supports in eliminating the excess fluids and toxic substances in the body especially in the joints causing pain and inflammation in case of rheumatism and arthritis. It is also used in reducing the body temperature during fever by promoting sweat and removing infectious microbes through urine.
Zedoary essential oil is also effective in treating abdominal pain, amenorrhea and certain other menstrual problems. Add 3 drops of this oil to warm bathing water or to hot compress to help relieve rheumatic pain, inflammation and menstrual discomforts. You can also blend 4 to 5 drops of Zedoary oil with coconut oil and gently massage it on the affected area for quicker assistance.
4. Fights against cancerous cells
Research on ‘Zedoary oil (Ezhu You) prevents propagation of AGS cells’ proves that Zedoary, a Chinese medicinal herb has anticancer properties. This study concluded saying, “Zedoary oil inhibited AGS cell proliferation through cell cycle arrest and cell apoptosis promotion, which were related to Bax/Bcl-2 protein expression.”
Another research on ‘Applications of Nanoparticles in Herbal Medicine: Zedoary Turmeric Oil and Its Active Compound beta-elemene’ published in the American Journal of Chinese Medicine states that Zedoary oil has been approved by the Chinese SFDA as safe for treating various cancerous tumors that affect ovaries, brain, lungs, colon, breast, liver and certain other tissues.
5. Other uses
Zedoary oil is also used as a mosquito repellant by applying it on the skin after blending it with almond or coconut oil. This herb has also been proved effective in the treatment of gonorrhea, erectile dysfunction, urinary problems, hiccups, blood disorders, piles and certain other skin problems. Zedoary essential oil is also used in soap fabrication and perfumeries.
Traditional uses and benefits of Zedoary essential oil
- It is also used in the Traditional Chinese Medicine in the treatment of numerous chronic disorders including cancer.
- Paste of this plant is used on inflammation, wounds, skin ailments and pain.
- It is used as an ingredient in bitter tonics.
- It improves blood circulation, ant contusion, and improves menstrual flow.
- It helps in abdominal cramps, amenorrhea-abdominal pain and rheumatic pain.
- It helps in pain and swelling associated with sprains.
- Zedoary oil is a Chinese medicine that is used for treatment of gynecologic inflammation, pneumonia, pediatric diseases, viral myocarditis and malignant tumors, such as oophoroma, hepatocellular carcinoma and lung cancer.
- It is known to help in anorexia, cardiac disorders and dyspepsia.
- The essential oil extracted from the roots of the plant is used in perfumery and soap industries.
- It is also used commercially in liquors, perfumes, cosmetics and other such products. Indians use it as pepper.
- It is also used as a mosquito repellant by applying it on the skin after blending it with almond or coconut oil.
- Always follow to recommended safety standards and recommended dilution ratios.
- If you have sensitive skin or are prone to allergies test oil blends on a small area of the inner arm prior to general use.
- Keep oils out of reach of children and pets.
- Never allow essential oils to enter the eyes.
- If you are pregnant, consult a qualified aroma therapist for suitability and safety of specific oils. Many oils should not be used during pregnancy, some only need to be avoided for the first 3 – 4 months, others may be helpful during labor, but may pose a risk during the months before.
- If you suffer from serious medical conditions such as (but not exclusively) high blood pressure, cancer, thrombosis, varicose veins or epilepsy, consult a qualified aroma therapist for professional advice on recommended oils and dosages.
Zedoary Essential Oil Facts
Zedoary oil is obtained from the rhizomes of Curcuma Zedoaria through steam distillation. This oil is known to be an excellent supplement for the digestive systems with a large scale utility for the gastrointestinal stimulant in flatulent colic. It also assists in preventing stress ulceration. The herbal extract has medicinal use in traditional eastern medicine where it has been used as an aid to digestion, a relief for colic, for blood purification, and as anti-venom for the Indian cobra. It has also been used in western medicine to treat coronary heart disease, liver cancer, anemia and other indications. Zedoary essential oil is reported to have antimicrobial activity.
|Name||Zedoary essential oil|
|Scientific Name||Curcuma Zedoaria|
|Native||India and Indonesia|
|Common Names of Zedoary Plant||White Turmeric, Amb Halad, Kachoor,Plaua, Katuri,Temu,Kunir Putih and Khamin Khao|
|Common Name of Oil||Zedoary Oil, Zedoaria Essential Oil|
|Name of Zedoary in Other Languages||English: Zedoary
Manipuri: Meitei Yaingang
Chinese: Ezhu You
Indian: amb halad, garndhmul,amb ada
|Plant Growth Habit||Perennial herb|
|Growing Climate||Grows in tropical and subtropical wet forest regions|
|Oil Texture||Viscous liquid|
|Oil Color||Golden yellow|
|Flavor/Aroma||Warm-spicy, woody and camphoraceous cineolic odor, reminiscent of ginger|
|Plant Parts Used||Roots or rhizomes|
|Method of Extraction||Steam Distillation|
|Shelf Life||2 Years|
|Traditional uses and benefits||