|Bagels benefits and precautions Quick Facts|
|Name:||Bagels benefits and precautions|
|Major nutrients||Manganese (491.30%)
Vitamin B1 (25.00%)
Vitamin B9 (15.00%)
|Health benefits||Bone health, Level of sugar, Lower inflammation, Produces energy, Function of muscles|
|More facts about Bagels benefits and precautions|
The bagel’s history is ambiguous. It was believed to make bagel to tribute Jan Sobieski who saved Vienna from penetration of Turks in 1683. As a tribute, king has a baker fashion of bread which is in the shape of Sobieski stirrups. Then the shape becomes round and called bagel. The name bagel was derived from the German word beigen that means bend. The immigrants of Eastern Europe brought the bagel bakers to New World. They started to bake bagels in East Coast. Harry Lender and his son Murray made bagels in huge amounts and sell it to supermarkets. Dan Thompson was the first person to make machine for producing bagels in 1960. Till that period the bagels was rolled by hand.
In 43 grams of Bagel, it grants 14.84 g of moisture, 110 calories, 4 g of protein, 0.71 g of ash, 23.44 g of carbohydrate, 2 g of total dietary fiber and 4 g of total sugars. It also contains the minerals such as 40 mg of calcium, 1.8 mg of iron, 18 mg of magnesium, 62 mg of phosphorus, 76 mg of potassium, 160 mg of sodium, 0.7 mg of zinc, 0.068 mg of copper and 11.3 mg of manganese.
Health Benefits of Bagel
The bread product made with the use of yeasted dough which keeps the stomach full for the long period of time. It requires the ingredients such as yeast, oil, fixings and sugar. It is tasty, quick and convenient to make. It has high content of carbohydrates, glycemic index and calories. It is loaded with various amounts of nutrients that provide various health benefits:
- Bone health
Manganese is vital for the growth of bone structure. It aids the raise of mineral density of spinal bones. The women are suffering from the deficiency of manganese after menopause so they should increase the intake of minerals to prevent from fractures. The research shows that manganese could prevent the chances of osteoporosis and slow down the process. (1)
- Level of sugar
Manganese helps to control the sugar level in the blood that helps to prevent the chances of diabetes. It normalizes the secretion and synthesis of insulin as well as unstable drops in the blood sugar. (2)
- Lower inflammation
Manganese is an aid for inflammation and sprains because it assists the rising superoxide dismutase level which is present in low levels in arthritis patients. It has anti-inflammatory properties which is essential for the arthritis patients. Manganese increases the SOD function and synthesis by lowering this condition. (3)
- Produces energy
Vitamin B1 helps to oxidize the energy into usable form. It is an element of pyruvate dehydrogenase system that assists in sugar oxidation. Thiamine is essential for the enzyme functions that release energy for the various functions. (4)
- Function of muscles
Iron is essential for the maintenance of muscle health. It is found in the tissues of muscles and supply oxygen which is vital for the muscle contraction. Muscle loses the elasticity and tone in the absence of muscles. The sign of anemia is the weakness of muscles. (5)
- Treat cancer
Folate is vital for lowering the chances of cancer in the body. It eliminates the chances of cancer such as colon cancer, cervical cancer and lung cancer. So the doctors recommend to add folate to the diets. (6)
- Assist reproduction
Vitamin B2 is vital for promoting the growth as well as development of reproductive organs and tissues such as connective tissue, skin, mucous membranes, eyes, immune system and nervous system. Additionally, it promotes the health of nails, skin and hair. (7)
- Promotes digestion
Vitamin B3 assists the functions of digestive system, nerves function, healthy appetite and provides a glowing skin. (8)
- Balance hormones
Phosphorus is essential to regulate the hormone balance in the body. It stimulates hormones that are essential for the maintenance of reproductive health. It has vital role for maintaining the health problems. (9)
- Skin health
Protein provides mechanical support and strengthens the tissues from the wear and tear. The collagen has positive results to restore the dermal collagen synthesis of protein. It supports the low wrinkled, healthy and skin’s youthful appearance that depend on the collagen level in the body. (10) (11)
- Bagels are made of wheat grains which are a phytic acid which blocks the calcium uptake which might lead to osteoporosis due to deficiency of calcium.
- The white flour is processed highly which turns into sugar easily when consumed. It might cause diabetes.
- Bagels possess harmful sweeteners such as processed sugar.
How to make
- The yeast should be mixed by adding 300 ml of lukewarm water. Then add flour, 1 tsp. salt and sugar in a bowl. It should be poured over yeasty liquid and mixed in rough dough.
- Knead it together till it becomes smooth and elastic for about 10 minutes.
- The dough should be kept in an oiled bowl which should be covered with oiled cling film. Place it in warm area and leave it for about one hour. Uncover it.
- The dough should be divided in ten portions and form balls. It should be line up on two parchment lined baking trays which should be lightly covered with cling film.
- Leave it for about 30 minutes till it becomes puffy and risen. It should be removed from the cling film.
- Make a hole by using a floured finger in a center of each bagel. Swirl it for stretching dough a little.
- Boil water in a large saucepan by adding soda. Keep one or two bagels in a time and boil it for about one minute. With the use of slotted spoon, the bagels should be lifted and drained well and should be placed to the baking tray.
- The bagel should be brushed with egg white and seeds could be sprinkled. It should be baked for about 20 to 25 minutes or till it becomes golden brown. It should be kept in a wirerack before consuming.
How to Eat
- It is consumed fresh or toasted lightly.
- The mixture of apple butter, cream cheese and strawberry jam could be spread over a warm bagel.
- The low fat cheese could be melted over bagel.
- Bagel could be poached with an egg and topped with salsa.
- It could be used for sandwich.
- It could be toasted with the use of herbed butter or garlic.
- The thin slices of bagel could be sprinkled with season salt and toast it.
- Mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce could be spread over it.
- Bagel was originated in Krakow, Poland in 1610.
- Bagel has hole in the middle which makes the vendor easy to thread the bread into dowels and sell.
- The variations for the word bagel in Germany are: meaning ring, beigel and meaning bracelet.
- It is bread which is boiled before baked.
- February 9 is regarded as National Bagels & Lox Day.
- National Bagelfest Day lies on 26 July.
- The frozen bagels were known in 1960.
- Plain is mostly consumed.