|Five-spice powder Quick Facts|
|Colors||Deep golden brown|
How to make Five spice powder?
- 2 teaspoons Szechuan peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 8 star anise pods
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- In a dry frypan, roast two teaspoons of Szechuan peppercorns for three minutes.
- Using coffee grinder or pepper grinder, grind peppercorns with eight star anise pods.
- Strain ground spices in order to remove larger bits.
- Combine ½ teaspoon ground cloves, 1 tablespoon ground fennel seeds and 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon.
- Grind till it becomes very fine powder.
Avoid too much consumption during pregnancy.
How to Eat
- It could be used with fatty meats such as duck, pork or goose.
- It is also used in recipes for beef stew and Cantonese roasted duck.
- Five spice powders are used as a marinade for making Vietnamese broiled chicken.
- It is used for making cocktails.
- Five spice powders go well with tofu and is one of the vital ingredients in pressed seasoned bean curd.
- It is used in Chinese recipes for adding extra flavor.