The bael fruit have been grown in India for more than 4,000 years and is extremely appreciated for its identified therapeutic features. The taste of the fruit, regrettably, leaves something to be preferred, just like numerous plants along with recovery qualities, yet all the parts of the tree are utilized in a number of purposes, which includes fragrances, soap, and also home furniture manufacturing. The bael fruit is an integral part of Ayurvedic practice and is also utilized to deal with numerous digestive system problems. Bael fruit is spherical and also approximately the dimensions of a baseball. The fruit begins gray-green and also turns a pale yellow whenever it develops. When split open, the fruit will disclose pale orange pulp separated by thicker, dark orange walls. The fruit can also be studded along with resinous hairy seeds, encased within an cover of mucilage. The aroma of the fruit could be off putting for some.
The bael fruit tree will grow 40 to 50 feet (12 to 15 meters) tall and it has dark green foliage along with gently serrated sides. The trunk of the bael fruit tree is protected in the pale scaly bark and also distributes into dropping branches which are frequently spined. Whenever wounded, the tree produces a gummy sap which eventually stiffens. The flowers are green on the exterior and yellow internally, and they’ve a nice aroma which is commonly used in fragrance. The bael fruit can certainly consumed raw or even cooked, and is also frequently included in an unripe phase. Whenever unripe, the fruit could be used to deal with diarrhea, whilst the ripened fruit is really a healthy laxative. Whenever utilized unripe, the fruit needs to be steamed and also pulped. Several professionals make use of the young shoots too, for the management of ulcer and also respiratory complaints.
Health benefits of Bael fruit (Wood Apple)
The bael tree is probably the most valuable therapeutic plants of India. Its therapeutic qualities happen to be explained within the historic healthcare treatise in Sanskrit, Charaka Samhita. All of the parts of this particular tree which includes stem, bark, root, leaves as well as fruit at every stage of maturation has therapeutic benefits and it has been utilized as traditional medicinal practices for a long period.
The fruit is of substantially therapeutic value when it simply starts to mature. The ripe fruit is fragrant, astringent which will help building of skin, coolant and also laxative. The unripe or even half-ripe fruit is astringent, digestive stomachic that enhances urge for food as well as antiscorbutic, i.e. which will help to battle scurvy brought on because of vitamin C insufficiency.
Ripe bael fruit is undoubtedly best of all laxatives. It clears and also tones up the intestines. Its frequent utilizes for 2 or 3 months assists leave even the old accrued faecal matter from the bowels. For the best outcomes, it ought to be consumed in the sort of sherbat, which is made from the pulp of the ripe fruit. Soon after damaging the shell, the seeds are very first eliminated, as well as contents are removed using a spoon and also undergone a filter. Milk and also little sugar might be included with it to allow it to be much tastier. The pulp of the ripe fruit may also be obtained from the spoon with no inclusion of milk or even sugar. About 60 grams of the fruit will be enough on an grownup.
2. Diarrhea and Dysentery
The unripe or even half ripe fruit is probably, the most efficient food treatment for long-term diarrhea as well as dysentery in which there is not any fever. The best results are acquired by means of dried out bael or even its powder. The bael fruit, when it’s still green, is sliced up as well as dried under the sun. The dried bael slices are decreased into powder and also maintained in air-tight bottles. The unripe bael may also be baked and taken along with jiggery or even brown sugar.
The fruit seems to have got very little effect in severe dysentery when there is distinct feeling to defecate but rather than tremendous amount of faeces, bloods as well as mucus alone are passed. The powdered drug is especially suggested within this situation. Its advantageous effect its, however, most evident when the condition has grown to be sub-acute or even long-term. After the utilization of the fruit within these situations, the blood progressively vanishes and also the stool presume an even more feculent and also solid form. The mucus furthermore vanishes after ongoing utilize for quite a while. Additionally it is a very important treatment for long-term dysenteric circumstances seen as an alternative diarrhea and also constipation.
3. Peptic Ulcer
An infusion of bael leaves is undoubtedly a highly effective food treatment for peptic ulcer. The foliage is drenched overnight within water. This particular water is drained and taken like a beverage each morning. The pain and also soreness are treated if these treatment methods are carried on for a couple weeks. Bael foliage is abundant with tannins that decrease swelling and also assist curing of ulcers. The bael fruit used in the form of drink has additionally excellent sticky content. This substance forms a covering around the stomach mucosa and therefore assists in the curing of ulcers.
4. Respiratory Affections
Medicated oil prepared from bael leaves provides rest from repeated colds as well as respiratory system ailments. The juice obtained from bael leaves is combined with equivalent amount of sesame oil and also warmed completely. A number of seeds of black pepper as well as half a teaspoonful of black cumin are combined with the hot oil. It’s then taken off the fire and kept for usage when needed. A teaspoonful of this oil needs to be rubbed in the scalp just before a head bath. Its frequent utilize accumulates resistant against colds and also coughs. A typical practice in south India is always to provide the juice of bael leaves to bring rest from coughing and also respiratory spasm. The leaf juice, combined in tepid to warm water after a little pepper, is give like a drink.
5. Gastro protection properties
Gastro duodenal ulcers are the most typical type of gastric ulcers. This kind of ulcers develops when there is an imbalance within the acid mucosa levels or even because of oxidative stress over the gastric tract. Tests gave great results in gastric ulcer inhibition. The phenolic substances present in bael extracts possessed powerful anti-oxidants that assisted in lessening gastric ulcers.
6. Control of diabetes
Leaf extract of the plant is recognized for its anti-diabetic action. It’s been discovered that bael extract might considerably decrease blood urea and also cholesterol level within diabetic creatures.
Leaf juice is immediately utilized in Unani system of medicine for anti-diabetic action. It’s been explored that roughly 5g of leaf decoction given by mouth once every day has possible anti-diabetic outcomes. The methanolic leaf extract of Aegle marmelos currently have hypoglycemic and also anti-oxidant qualities.
7. Cholesterol control
Bael leaf extracts were analyzed because of their cholesterol control. These were great at lowering blood levels of cholesterol similar to contemporary drugs. Bael leaf extracts managed not only blood cholesterol levels but in addition triglycerides as well as serum and tissue lipid profiles.
8. Antimicrobial properties
Bael leaves, roots and also fruit extracts have been researched because of their anti-microbial qualities. The extracts demonstrated inhibition of numerous bacterial stresses. Aside from bacteria, bael extracts were likewise great at managing fungal and also infections. The anti-microbial attributes are caused by the existence of biochemical just like cuminaldehyde and also eugenol.
9. Anti-inflammatory properties
Bael extracts have got anti-inflammatory attributes that really help in cutting histamine caused contractions and also stimulate positive relaxant effect within the swollen regions or even organs.
Bael fruit could be used for decreasing bowel problems. The flesh of the fruit is considered to get laxative qualities, and in addition it washes and also tones up the intestines. Taking ripe fruit daily for approximately 2-3 months can easily remove severe and also sub-chronic bowel problems.
Since the bael fruit provides powerful digestive attributes, its frequent use provides rest from any type of digestive soreness. In case there is illness just like diarrhea and also dysenteries it really is discovered very beneficial since it cleans up and also encourages normal intestinal performance. It tones up the digestive system and also alimentary canal to permit appropriate bowl actions. Reap bael fruit is all-natural healthy laxative and also eliminates constipation issues.
We all know that Scurvy is brought on because of the lack of vitamin C. Since bael fruits are abundant method of obtaining the same vitamin therefore it really helps to get over the insufficiency and also cures scurvy.
13. Snake Bites
The root and leaves of bael are utilized within the treatments for snake bites from olden days and discovered extremely effective.
14. Ear Problems
The root of the tree is utilized like a home cure to treat ear difficulties. A rigid part of the root is dipped in neem oil and also lighted. The oil which drains through the burning end is really a very effective medication for ear problems. The germ killing attributes of neem combined with astringent extract of Bael root works well for treating infection, long-term irritation as well as discharge.
Research indicates the fruit extract to have got anti-proliferative action. The mechanism being inhibition of the expansion of human tumor cell lines. The aqueous extract of the fruit is an excellent method to obtain water soluble anti-oxidants, phenolic compounds and also anti-mutagens.
The Psoralen contained in the pulp of bael fruit boosts threshold of sunlight that assists in the maintenance of usual skin color. It is therefore utilized in the management of leucoderma.
17. Eye infection
The foliage is very effective treatments for a number of eye inflammations just like conjunctivitis.
The roots as well as the bark of the tree are utilized as decoction to deal with many forms of fevers. The roots are utilized in Ayurveda to stop fevers brought on by the problems of vata, kapha and also pitta.
Bael carries an extremely high phenolic (flavonoid) content that is liable for the radical scavenging action within the plant. The free radicals result in oxidative stresses which in return lead to disorders which range from Alzheimer’s to COPD to diabetes, coronary disease and also most cancers. The anti-oxidant action of methanolic extract of leaves, root and also stem bark of Bael was tested in a single experiment. The outcomes, released within the African Journal of Plant Science demonstrated that leaf extract have got much better anti-oxidant action as compared to stem bark as well as root extract.
A survey analyzed the hepatoprotective effect of bael leaves within alcohol stimulated liver injury in albino rats. Results demonstrated that the leaves of Bael offer an outstanding liver-protective outcome.
21. Arthritis and Gout
Raw bael fruit is effective in the management of arthritis and also gout. Its pulp combined with hot mustard oil whenever applied to inflamed joints make rest from pain.
More about Bael Fruit
Whenever ripe, the pulp of the bael fruit could be scooped out and also consumed plain, or even dressed along with milk and sugar to create a rich and creamy drink. Bael fruit could also be used to create jams as well as jellies, that are utilized by all those dealing with intestinal tract issues. Generally, the fruit isn’t consumed just as much because of its taste as for its medical and also purgative qualities.
Origin and cultivation
The bael tree is in fact indigenous of India. The narration of the tree goes back to Vedic period- 2000 BC – 800 BC. The fruit have been pointed out in Yajur Veda. The tree has got huge legendary significance and it’s also present in large quantity all around temples. Bael fruit is in fact held holy by the Hindus and in accordance with several Hindu customs; the foliage is typically utilized as holy offering to Lord Shiva, who’s likely to live beneath bael tree. The fruit is produced all over India in addition to Bangladesh, , Thailand, Pakistan Sri Lanka and Burma .
Nutritional Value of Bael
Amount of Bael: 100 gms
|Total Carbohydrates||31.8 g|
|Total Fat||0.3 g|
|Vitamin A||55 mg|
|Vitamin C||8 to 60 mg|
Medicinal Uses of Bael
- Taking in about 20 ml juice obtained from bael leaves is effective in controlling diabetes and also decreasing excessive urination.
- Boil a cupful of water combined with half or one teaspoon of dried out bael leaves. Ultimately, cool and strain the liquid. Consume this solution 3 times per day to lessen high blood pressure.
- Consuming a mix of ripe bael fruit pulp, sugar and also honey on a regular basis after dinner is advantageous in the beginning of tuberculosis. Adhere to this process for around 40 days.
- Having a teaspoon of dried and also powdered bael leaves for 3 days can be useful for growing urge for food.
- Anti-parasitic advantages of bael could be extracted by using about five grams of dried and also powdered pulp of the fruit. Follow this particular therapy 2 times per day to remove intestinal tract worms.
- Smash an unripe bael fruit together with one teaspoon each of dried ginger and also fennel. Dip this mix in four cups of water and also consume this particular home medication 3 to 4 times per day to cure hemorrhoids.
- One more bael treatment for hemorrhoids includes the consumption of a mixture of dried and also powdered bael leaves, dried ginger, carom seeds, and also black pepper combined in a glass of buttermilk. If you don’t have got buttermilk, make use of lukewarm water.
- Ingesting a cupful of ripe bael fruit combined with jiggery once every day for 2-3 months cures bowel problems and also indigestion. Additionally, it cures mouth ulcers. You can eat nearly 70g of the pulp per day.
- Using a teaspoon of dried and also powdered ripe bael fruit pulp combined in a glass of buttermilk or even warm water two times in one day is effective in reducing spasms brought on by irritable bowel syndrome.
- When confronted with severe or even persistent diarrhea, dry the slices of the unripe bel fruit in sun as well as grind them. Have a teaspoon of the powder together with tepid to warm water. Follow this particular therapy 2 times in one day.
- Bael health benefits for decreasing extreme menstruation could be derived by using a teaspoon of smashed bael leaves together with warm water accompanied by the consumption of some cold water.
- Include a pinch of black pepper in the teaspoon of smashed bel leaves and also consume this mix. Lastly, consume a cupful of buttermilk. Follow this particular natural therapy 3 times every day to assist heal jaundice.
- Heat the rind of bael fruit within coconut oil and also use the oil in your scalp regularly to deal with dandruff naturally. Just in case coconut oil isn’t available then utilize sesame seed oil.
- Bael benefits in curing stomach and also mouth ulcers, as well. Just for this, you have to consume a combination of a cupful of bael fruit pulp plus a teaspoon of sugar each morning before eating anything for 3 days.
- An additional recommendation to lessen peptic ulcers includes soaking a handful of bael leaves within a cup of water over night and also consuming this solution at the beginning of the morning for some weeks.
- To ease issues similar to nausea, vomiting and also headache throughout summers, roast a number of bael leaves in the mud pot, put in a cup of water within it and allow the mixture boil. Next, strain the solution. You may also sweeten it along with sugar. Consume 1 / 2 of this liquid each morning and also the other half at night. Carry on this process for 21 days.
- Early in the morning, before eating anything, consume a bael leaf together with 3-4 black peppercorns and also consume a cupful of warm milk later on. Follow this particular treatment for a minimum of one month so as to remedy asthma.
- Heat sesame oil combined with black cumin, black pepper and also juice obtained from bael leaves. When it’s bearably warm, massage it in your head to reduce cough and cold.
- When confronted with malaria, extract a few juices from bael flowers and also holy basil leaves. Combine one teaspoon each of these two juices along with a teaspoon of honey. Take this particular home medication 2 times every day.
- The pulp of the fruit is utilized in making squash, candies, , jellies, marmalades, and also nectar too. Moreover, the mucilage around unripe seeds of bel fruit can be used as glue and also adhesive.
Harvested bael fruits can easily keep for a more than four weeks within the fridge, when they could be saved for about 14 days at room temperature.
Precautions with Bael fruit
The ripe fruit shouldn’t be used on a regular basis at a time. Whenever utilized with no break, it creates atony of the intestines or even lacks of normal flexibility as well as major flatulence within the abdomen. The Bael fruit must also not be consumed in excessive at any given time, as extreme consumption may possibly create a sensation of heaviness within the stomach. Sherbet produced from Bael ought not to be very thin. It must be sticky so it could be completely chewed. It might create heaviness within the stomach, if utilized hurriedly.
Stay away from bael while pregnant or even while breast-feeding. Too much use of bael leaves can certainly raise the likelihood of abortion in females.