We asked Toronto plastic surgeon Dr. Pirani for some recommendations for nutritional foods that will help you recover from your breast augmentation.
- Oranges: Oranges and other citrus fruits are naturally high in Vitamin C, which is essential for collagen and tissue repair. Vitamin C is also found in peppers, tomatoes, and even pineapple, so you can eat some variety in flavor and get the same results.
- Eggs: Eggs are wonderfully high in protein and low in fat, making them a great addition to any diet. Protein is known to help build muscle, but it can also repair tissues, especially following surgery. Lean meats, such as chicken or turkey, also can help during recovery.
- Almonds: Almonds, avocados, coconut oil, as well as other nuts are loaded in Vitamin E. Vitamin E is found in a lot of cosmetic creams because it has an ability to heal wounds and repair tissue. After surgery, it will give your immune system the boost it needs to recover well.
- Spinach: Spinach and other dark green veggies are high in fiber as well as Vitamin A. The anaesthesia that is given for surgery often can result in slowing gastric functions. Fiber can help keep your stomach moving. Vitamin A is important to keep a healthy immune system, which will help your cells regrow following a surgery.
- Seafood: Seafood, including fish and some shellfish, has high quantities of zinc. The mineral zinc will provide you with energy as well as promote healing after your surgery. Energy is important to keep you from sitting idly when you should be moving around.
- Mushrooms: You might be surprised to learn that mushrooms are also helpful when recovering from surgery as well. Mushrooms are loaded with Vitamin D, which many people get from the sun and dairy products. Vitamin D is good for your bones and will help you regain strength after your augmentation.
- Beans: High in iron, beans will help cellular growth, including the creation of new red blood cells. This can help speed up the healing process and shorten your road to recovery after your breast surgery.
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes, not yellow or russet potatoes, have high quantities of Vitamin A, just like you will find in the dark leaf vegetables. They will promote a healthy immune system, allowing you to heal quickly and feel well.
- Yogurt: Dairy, such as yogurt and cottage cheese, are high in calcium to strengthen your bones. They also naturally contain probiotics which will help regulate your gastro system, keeping your bowels moving as smoothly as they do normally.
- Water: Water is important regardless of whether you just had surgery or are just going about your regular day. Your body thrives when it is adequately hydrated. After surgery, your body will need more water than normal as it flushes out the anaesthesia, allowing it to take in more vitamins and nutrients. Staying hydrated will also reduce the feeling of nausea or headaches that you might experience after surgery.
If you are concerned that you are not taking in enough vitamins and minerals following your breast augmentation, you could add in some supplements to your diet. For recovering from surgery, fish oil, Vitamin C, or even just a standard multivitamin can all help you heal while ensuring you get all of the nutrients that your body needs. Before starting any supplement, make sure to speak with your doctor to ensure that you are taking what you should be.
In addition to eating a balanced diet, make sure that you are getting enough rest. You need to give your body all of the nutrition and sleep it needs in order to heal well and quickly.