|Jalapeno pepper Quick Facts|
|Scientific Name:||Capsicum anuum|
|Origin||Native to Mexico, it is also found in Western Texas and Southern New Mexico.|
|Colors||Glossy, dark green or red (Fruit)|
|Shapes||Bullet shaped, Length: 6-7 cm (Fruit)|
|Major nutrients||Vitamin C (118.56%)
Vitamin B6 (29.00%)
Vitamin E (21.47%)
Vitamin K (13.83%)
Vitamin B3 (7.20%)
|Health benefits||Assist in losing weight, Clear sinuses, Stomach ulcers, Treat migraine, Enhance nervous system|
|More facts about Jalapeno pepper|
Native to Mexico, it is also found in Western Texas and Southern New Mexico. Jalapeno pepper dates back long time ago. It was well known plant which was used in various ways. Around 1500’s, thousand acres of Jalapeno plant was planted. This crop was relevant in 1696 to the American Indian tribes. The pepper saved a lot of lives during a famine in 1696 which wiped all food and plants for Indians.
One cup of 90 grams provides 26 calories. In addition, it provides 118.56% of Vitamin C, 29% of Vitamin B6, 21.47% of Vitamin E, 13.83% of Vitamin K. It offers 0.82 grams of protein, 0.33 grams of total fat, 2.5 grams of total dietary fiber, 3.71 grams of total sugars, 1.33 grams of glucose and 2.37 grams of fructose.
Health Benefits of Jalapeno pepper
Jalapeno pepper provides plenty of health benefits. They are loaded with minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and flavonoids. It is low in calories and saturated fat. It possesses an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which helps to maintain the overall health.
- Assist in losing weight
Capsaicin is a compound which is the cause for heat while consuming Jalapeno peppers. The research shows that which assist to lose weight so it has been used in the health supplements and weight loss pills. The intake of Jalapeno Peppers stimulates Capsaicin which burns the fat and calories if consumed on daily basis. The one who wants the natural ways to lose weight should add Jalapeno pepper in the diet.
- Clear sinuses
Nasal congestion is the symptom of sinus which causes trouble in breathing. Jalapeno pepper should consume Jalapeno peppers to get rid of blocked airways and nasal congestion. The heat provided by Capsaicin helps to counteract the infection of sinus and clears airways of the chest. The daily intake of Jalapeno pepper eases the breathing and clears the airways.
- Stomach ulcers
Jalapeno pepper helps to treat ulcers of mouth as well as stomach. Jalapeno peppers are loaded with antioxidants and also an excellent source of Vitamin C. It helps to eliminate the bacteria in stomach and mouth. It cures and prevent from mouth as well as stomach ulcers.
- Treat migraine
The studies have shown that Jalapeno peppers helps to provide relief from the headaches causes by migraine. Capsaicin in Jalapeno peppers helps to prevent neuropeptide which is the major pain transmitter. One should intake Jalapeno peppers in order to reduce or prevent from migraine headaches.
- Enhance nervous system
Jalapeno pepper has plentiful amounts of minerals, vitamin and amino acids which help to regulate the amino acids that are vital for the functions of nervous system. The studies have shown that low intake of folic acid or amino acid increases the chances of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s disease. The intake of Jalapeno pepper two to three times in a week helps to enhance the health of nervous system.
Jalapeno pepper possess huge amount of Vitamin B complex which assist in formation of neural tube and assist the formation of red blood cells in prenatal babies. The deficiency of folate during pregnancy can lead to birth defects in infants and underweight infants.
- Enhance immunity
The research has shown that about 60 to 70 percent of vitamin C is contained in one serving of Jalapeno pepper. Vitamin C helps to enhance immune system for the production of white blood cells which helps to counteract from minor to major disease. One should consume Jalapeno pepper to enhance immune system or prevent from infections or illness.
- Cure arthritis
The research has proved that the intake of Jalapeno pepper helps to reduce the pain caused by arthritis naturally. Jalapeno pepper possesses Capsaicin which possesses anti-inflammatory properties and reduces the inflammation or pain on the joints which are caused by arthritis. A dose of Capsaicin helps to lower the symptoms of arthritis.
- Cardiovascular health
Cardiovascular health is related with strokes, heart attack and high blood pressure. Capsaicin helps to reduce the level of bad cholesterol in the body and also lowers the aggregation of platelet. In addition, Jalapeno pepper is loaded with Vitamin C, Vitamin A and bioflavonoids which helps to reinforce blood vessels. It helps to adjust the changing level of blood pressure. The intake of Jalapeno pepper helps to balance the level of blood pressure and reduce the chances of heart attack and strokes.
- Prevent cancer
Jalapeno pepper is an excellent source of nutrients, flavonoids and vitamins. The research shows that the intake of Jalapeno pepper destroys prostate cancer cells in the body. Jalapeno pepper contains antioxidants which prevents the damage caused by cancer cells. It helps to treat and prevent the cancer.
- Jalapeno contains capsaicin which provides spice and pungent. Even some bits causes irritation as well as fiery sensation in tongue, mouth and throat.
- One should avoid of touching eyes after touching the chili pepper.
- Jalapeno pepper may irritate the stomach ulcer, gastritis, and gastro esophageal reflux conditions.
- An intake of chilies for lengthy period would increase the chances of exposing aflatoxin which could lead to liver, stomach and colon cancers.
- Those who are allergic to spicy foods should avoid Jalapeno Peppers.
- The intake of Jalapeno peppers which are a week old can cause stomach irritation.
How to Eat
- Jalapeno pepper is excellent for sauces, salsa, chutney, salads and pickling.
- It can be used to prepare ratatouille which is a traditional Occitanian recipe.
- The green Jalapeno peppers are added raw with white onion and tomatoes in order to prepare pico de gallo.
- Jalapeno pepper could be added as pizza toppings.
- The pickled form of Jalapenos is consumed with burgers, sandwiches, tortilla etc.
- Jalapeno peppers are the typical ingredients in nachos, Tex-Mex cuisine, fajita, chili con quiso etc.
- It helps to enhance the flavor as well as spiciness to poultry, stews, seafood and meat dishes.
- In Mexico, about 40,000 acres are used to cultivate Jalapenos.
- China, Spain, Peru and India are the commercial producers of chilies including Jalapenos.
- Ancient Aztecs were the one to use Jalapenos first but they used to dry and smoke it instead of consuming.
- August 19th is celebrated as the National Hot & Spicy Food Day.
- It is mild to medium pungent about 2,500 to 10,000 Scoville units.
- Jalapeno is a great source of Vitamin C.
- Jalapeno helps to reduce blood pressure, combat migraine headaches and assist to lose weight.