Patchouli oil is the evergreen perennial which was originated from Southeast Asia. Nowadays it is cultivated in Indonesia, China, India, Malaysia, Philippines, tropical regions of Hawaii and South America. Patchouli oil is extracted from the white, violet marked flowers and leaves. The oil is a thick liquid in a light yellow or brown color with strong, sweet and musky earth aroma. As the oil ages, it gets much better. The color of the patchouli oil turns into a deep amber from light yellow color and the fragrance is richer and smoother. The Patchouli essential oil is extracted from the leaves of Patchouli plant by the process of steam distillation. It is also known from its botanical name such as Pogostemon patchouli or Pogostermon Cablin. Alpha Patchoulene, Alpha Guaiene, Caryophyllene, Patchouli Alcohol, Pofostol, Beta Patchoulene, Alpha Bulnesene, Norpatchoulenol and Seychellene are the basic elements of Patchouli essential oil.
Patchouli Oil History
The word patchouli was derived from the word of Hindustan “pacholi” which means “to scent”. In 1800s, the patchouli oil was used to scent fabrics and shawls or clothes because it acts as a moth repellent. This oil was prominent as the fragrance of the hippy generation. The Patchouli is defined in the urban dictionary as” scented oil which was used by the musicians, bikers, artists, hippies and punk-rockers who live an alternative or bohemian lifestyle. Because of this reputation, as it relates to the scent that covers the body odors so some people stay away from patchouli oil’s smell.
Health Benefits of Patchouli Essential Oil
The properties such as antipholgistic, aphrodisiac, cicatrisant, deodorant, febrifuge, insecticide, tonic, antidepressant, antiseptic, astringent, cytophylactic, diuretic, fungicide and sedative provides the various medicinal properties such as:
Patchouli Essential Oil helps to get over from the feeling of sadness. It boosts the mood and relaxes tension. It stimulates to release the pleasure hormones such as feeling of anger, anxiety, sadness, serotonin and dopamine.
2. Alleviates stress and deprives depression
Patchouli essential oil helps to soothe the body as well as mind. This oil helps to boost the mind, overcome the feelings. The ethereal floral charm and sweet herbaceous facilitates harmony and peace to the mind. Patchouli essential oil helps to eliminate anxiety, work pressure, fear and prolonged stress. Add 2-3 drops of patchouli oil to the diffuser or burner which help to enhance the mental power and clears the depressive thoughts. 5-6 drops of Patchouli essential oil should be added to the warm bath before going to the bed so that it helps to refresh and strengthen the mind and immune system. Add the 4 drops of Patchouli essential oil and cold pressed Sesame oil to the warm bath so that it assists in reducing depression, stress and other health ailments.
The irritation and inflammation caused by the fever is also relieved. It also treats the skin conditions such as gout and arthritis.
Patchouli essential oil prevents the infections of the wounds and ulcers. The antiseptic properties of the Patchouli essential oil prohibit infections such as tetanus as well.
The sexual problems such as loss of libido, erectile dysfunctions, sexual anxiety, impotency and frigidity are also treated by the Patchouli oil. It vitalizes the sexual hormones such as testosterone and estrogen which enhances the sex drive.
It intensifies the hold of gums on the teeth, prevents hair loss, sagging skin and loosening of muscle tissue. The astringent properties of patchouli oil eliminate hemorrhaging by the contraction of blood vessels. It has an anti-aging substance which prevents from the loosening of skin and muscle.
Patchouli essential oil promotes the healing process of cuts and wounds and also fades the scars. It also eradicates the marks of the acne, measles, boils and pox.
Patchouli essential oil enhances the growth of new bodily cells. It also increases the red blood cells production with the enhancement of energy levels which raises the oxygenation of organs and cells in the body. It provides the young, healthy and vibrant skin.
Patchouli alcohol or PA is a compound which is possessed by Patchouli oil, helps to boost the cell death’s cycle in colorectal cancer cells.
10. Natural deodorant
The musky, sweet and spicy aroma of the Patchouli oil helps to mask the odor of the body by destroying germs. It also counteract with fungus. 1-2 drops should be rubbed to the armpits or use it by adding it to the body lotion.
It enhances the urination frequency as well as quantity. This helps to increase appetite, lower blood pressure, lose weight, lower cholesterol and eliminates the unwanted toxins from the body. It increases urination which also removes unnecessary salts, excess water and uric acid due to which it lessens the chances of gallbladder stones, kidney stones and gout.
The body temperature of patchouli essential oil is reduced when having fever by counteracting infections. The antiphlogistic properties of patchouli essential oil help to relieve the inflammation caused by fever. The pain and inflammation related to the fever are also reduced.
Patchouli essential oil is effective at treating the infections and growth of fungus and protects from the notorious infections such as Athlete’s Foot.
14. Stimulates Hormones
Patchouli essential oil can treat impotency and erectile dysfunction. It also stimulates the hormones and enhances the libido or sex drive. Patchouli essential oil enhances the estrogen and testosterone levels.
15. Reduces insomnia
Patchouli oil acts as a sedative which helps to cure insomnia and also eases the mind as well as body. 2-3 drops of patchouli oil should be rubbed in the hands and breathe the aroma by covering the nose by hands. After rubbing the oil into the hands, touch the neck, temples and chest.
It is used in the body lotions, vaporizers, sprays and incense sticks or it can be mixed with water to wash the clothes and bed linen eliminate ants, lice, flies, mosquitoes, beg bugs, fleas and moths. The insects could be keeping away with a few drops. The oil could also be burned in the room.
It helps to provide relief from inflammation, convulsions, epileptic attacks caused by the hyper-reactivity of nerves or hypertension. The sedative and antidepressant properties of patchouli essential oil help to relax the body. The sign of insomnia is reduced by improving the cognitive function, mood and metabolic rate.
The patchouli oil upgrades the metabolic functions such as nutrient absorption and decomposition of food as it tones up intestines, liver and stomach. It also enhances the immune system which helps to prevent from infections.
19. Minimizes scars
The quick healing properties of patchouli oil reduce the scars and marks which are left by wounds, pox, acne and boils. The bug bites are also healed by this oil. 2-3 drops of patchouli oil should be rubbed into the hands and it should be applied to the scarred area so that it speeds up the healing process. It should be applied regularly.
The fragrance of patchouli helps to soothe and ease the tension headaches if one drop is placed to each temple and massage it for a minute. It can also be massaged to the reflex points of the feet or hands or a few drops should be rubbed in between the palms and should take the deep breathe.
Popular Uses of Patchouli Essential Oil
- The tension can be relieved by applying the combination of patchouli essential oil and peppermint oil to the temples, forehead and back of the neck.
- The appearance of scars, wrinkles could be reduced by adding one to two drops to the favorite moisturizer.
- The emotions can be calmed by applying the combination of patchouli essential oil and vetiver to the bottoms of the feet.
- 1-2 drops of patchouli essential oil should be added to the daily skin care routine to eliminate wrinkles or a small dab should be applied to the acne prone areas.
- The grounding effect could be provided by adding 1-2 drops to the hand palm and breathe by cup over the mouth and nose for several minutes, Or back of the neck or soles of the feet should be massaged.
- The dermatitis, acne and eczema could be treated by applying the mixture of 2-3 drops of patchouli essential oil with carrier oil to the affected area.
- Dab 2-3 drops of patchouli essential oil to the underarms to use it as an antiperspirant or deodorant.
- The fungal infections and athlete’s foot could be treated if 2-3 drops is dabbed on the affected area by putting it in a cotton ball.
- 8-10 drops of patchouli essential oil should be added to the bath water to alleviate anxiety. Or add 2-3 drops to the diffuser.
- 2-3 drop of patchouli essential oil should be added to the unscented conditioner and apply it to the scalp. It should be left for 3-5 minutes and then rinse. This helps to remove dandruff.
- 8-10 drops of patchouli essential oil should be added to the bath water for a nice and long soak which helps to relieve constipation.
- 2-3 drops of patchouli essential oil should be added to the diffuser, to repel the insects. The patchouli essential oil should be placed in linen closed by adding it to the cotton ball.
- Dab 2-3 drops of patchouli essential oil to the affected area of the insect bites by adding it to the cotton ball.
- It also fights impotence, frigidity, balance libido and also calms sexual anxiety.
- 2-3 drops of patchouli essential oil should be mixed with 1 ounce of carrier oil and it should be massaged on the body daily to tighten the loose skin. Or 8-10 drops of patchouli essential oil could be added to the bath water.
- For oily skin, on wet cotton ball put 2-3 drops of patchouli essential oil and dab it on the skin. For oily hair, 2-3 drops of patchouli essential oil should be added to the nickel size amount of unscented shampoo. Shampoo as normal and then rinse. Add 2-3 drops of patchouli essential oil to the diffuser which helps to relieve the stress related emotional disorders.
- Regularly add 2-3 drops of patchouli essential oil to the diffuser which helps to reduce the appetite. Or add 8-10 drops of patchouli essential oil in a bath.
- Water retention could be eased by adding 8-10 drops of patchouli essential oil to the bath water or massage the body with the mixture of 2-3 drops of patchouli essential oil with 1 ounce of carrier oil.
- Dab the affected area of the wound by putting 2-3 drops of patchouli essential oil on a wet cotton ball.
- The ant could be repelled by placing 2-3 drops of patchouli essential oil on a cotton ball and place it to the areas. The athlete’s foot could be cured by rubbing 2-3 drops of Patchouli essential oil to the infected area.
- The Patchouli essential oil could boost the immune system. 1-2 drops of Patchouli essential oil should be applied to the reflex points of the feet.
- Dab 2-3 drops of patchouli essential oil by placing it to the cotton ball which helps to prevent the body odor.
- 2-3 drops of essential oil should be added to the shampoo and wash the hair as normal or massage the scalp with the oil and let it remain for 20-30 minutes. This aids in hair loss.
- 5 drop Peppermint, 5 drops Patchouli and 5 drops sweet orange should be added to the personal inhaler and inhale it. Or 5-6 drops of Angelica root should be added to the aroma diffuser and it should be diffused for 30-60 minutes.
- 2-3 drops of Patchouli oil should be rubbed to the infected area to prevent from infections.
- 2-3 drop of Patchouli oil should be rubbed to the palms of hands and breathe by cup over the nose. The remaining oil should be massaged to the neck, temples and chest. It is effective to treat insomnia.
- The sitz bath should be added 1 drop of Tea Tree essential oil, 1 drop Patchouli and 2 teaspoons Tamanu oil and shake the water before soaking the skin. It is used to treat urinary tract infection.
- A couple drops of patchouli essential oil should be added to the shampoo or conditioner in order to treat oily hair. Before rinsing it should be left for few minutes. It is best for oily hair.
- Apply 1 drop of Patchouli mixed with 1 tsp. of rosehip oil to the throat, face and back of hands. It should be left to soak in for few minutes and then washed with warm water. It helps to treat wrinkles.
Where to Buy Patchouli Oil
Patchouli essential oil which offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee should be purchased from a well-known and trusted supplier of high quality therapeutic grade oils.
How to make Patchouli Oil
The Patchouli leaves are bundled, handpicked and dried. The oil is extracted from the process of steam distillation. The one could make the basic patchouli oil infusion at home by using the dried leaves of Patchouli.
- Dried out patchouli leaves
- Olive, sweet almond oil or Jojoba
- Clean bottle
- Glass jar
- Dry out the patchouli leaves totally by placing them under the sun for a some hours.
- Wash the glass jar thoroughly with warm soapy water, and then rinse it with fresh water at least two to three times. Let dry.
- Put the patchouli leaves in the jar, filling it to the top. Pour the carrier oil of your choice. Jojoba oil works best for making light moisturizing oil, while olive oil is ideal for making massage oil. Sweet almond is good for body and scalp massage.
- Screw the lid tightly and shake the jar a few times.
- Pour water into your saucepan and bring it to the boil. Then, take it off from the heat, and put the glass jar in the saucepan, leaving it there until the water cools down. Take out the jar and shake well again.
- Store the jar in a cool, dry and dark place for a month, allowing the patchouli leaves to seep in the carrier oil. One should shake the jar regularly in order to mix the leaves with the oil.
- The mixture should be filtered with the use of funnel and cheesecloth, and the oil should be transferred to the clean jar.
Patchouli Oil Side Effects
The children’s under the age of 6 are not recommended the Patchouli Oil. There is no scientific evidence found that the use of Patchouli Oil is safe for the pregnant women, children and breastfeeding women. As it is sedative, the energy level is altered when used in large amounts. The Patchouli Oil should be diluted with water so that it won’t have a negative reaction.