|Potato pancakes Quick Facts|
|Major nutrients||Sodium (11.20%)
Total Fat (9.29%)
Vitamin B6 (7.62%)
Vitamin C (6.78%)
How to make Potato pancakes?
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil for frying
- salt, pepper
- Peel or cube potatoes and onion. Put the vegetables in food process and process it for two minutes.
- Transfer the mixture into a fine strainer and squeeze almost all the liquid into a mixing bowl.
- Discard liquid. The white powder on the bottom of the bowl after squeezing the liquid, is potato starch. It provides texture to the pancakes.
- In a bowl, put the potato with egg, flour, salt and pepper. Mix it well.
- In a large, non-stick skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add spoonful of potato mixture and spread it slightly. Fry it for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side till the pancakes becomes crispy and brown.
- Place pancakes on a paper towel in order to absorb the excess oil.
- In Germany, potato pancakes are consumed with either salty or sweet with apple sauce/ blueberries or sugar and cinnamon.
- In Ireland, it is made with more starch, buttermilk and baking soda.
- Raggmunkar is made with pancake batter of wheat flour, egg, milk and shredded raw potatoes. It is fried in butter.
- In Sweden, potatisbullar is a patty made with mashed potatoes and eggs, dipped in breadcrumbs and fried in butter.