|Thousand Island dressing Quick Facts|
|Name:||Thousand Island dressing|
|Major nutrients||Vitamin B1 (301.00%)
Total Fat (250.43%)
Vitamin K (144.00%)
It has an excess of origin stories. It was originated in the resorts in the Thousand Island area of the most northern reaches of New York state and Canada, Southern Ontario, just after 20th century.
This dressing includes caviar as an ingredient thus the Russian moniker. Around the same time Thousand Island debuted, it was invented in the resorts of New Hampshire. Both were prosperous food which is served with fresh greens. Curiously, over time, New York’s urban delis adopted Russian dressing by while the Thousand Island embellish fine steakhouses.
Although its origin as a sauce for the fanciest, Thousand Island dressing delegated through 1970s into mass-market production which becomes the oft-maligned dressing that sits across from the cottage cheese in large squeeze bottles at salad bars and atop a Big Mac.
Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons finely diced onion
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon finely minced garlic (half of a small clove)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2-3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- Put all ingredients to a small bowl and combine it well. Taste and if desired add additional salt. Refrigerate it for an hour in order to allow the flavors to blend. Serve.
- Refrigerate it for 3 to 4 days.
2. How To Make Classic Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 ½ cups prepared or homemade mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3- 4 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely minced or grated onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large hard-boiled egg, peeled
- ½ teaspoon chili powder or freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced pimientos or roasted red pepper
- Few drops of any Louisiana hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chives
- In a large mixing bowl, mix mayonnaise, ketchup, onion, cider vinegar, relish, chili powder, salt and pepper and mix until it is combined well.
- To the bowl, press the egg through a fine-mesh sieve and combine well.
- Add any optional ingredients such as chives, pimientos or hot sauce and mix it well. It could be kept for about 4 days.
How to Eat
- In United States, it is used in fast food restaurants.
- It is used in Reuben sandwich.