|Bok choy Quick Facts|
|Scientific Name:||Brassica rapa (Chinensis Group)|
|Major nutrients||Vitamin C (35.00%)
Vitamin K (26.58%)
Vitamin A (22.29%)
Vitamin B9 (11.50%)
Vitamin B6 (10.46%)
|Health benefits||Strengthen bones, Promotes circulation, Speeds up healing process, Prevention of cancer, Vision health|
Bok choy has been cultivated for centuries in China. It has played as vital role in cuisines as well as traditional Chinese medicine. In these present days, Bok choy has become predominant in both American and Asian recipes. It is a deep green leafy vegetable which features Romaine lettuce on tope, celery on bottom. It is cooked as vegetable or added raw to salads. Bok choy contains wealthy amounts of Vitamin K, C, A, magnesium, calcium, manganese, potassium and iron. It is also known as powerhouse of nutrients. Vitamin A is vital for proper functioning of immune system. Vitamin C acts as antioxidant which assists the body to counteract free radicals. It supplies ample amounts of potassium for healthy nerve and muscle function.
The plant has erect or ascending stems which is 1.5 meters tall and glabrous. Upper leaves are glaucous, glabrous, sessile, entire, narrowly triangular measuring 2-10 x 1-2 cm. Lower leaves are lyrate to pinnatifid, petiolate, bright green and is about 15-25-(30) x 5-10 cm. It has 40 cm long racemes. Petals are bright yellow and 6-10 x 3-4 mm. Sepals are narrow to oblong and (4)-5-7 x 1-1.5 mm. Seeds are reddish brown measuring 1 to 1.5 mm in diameter.
Bok choy was mentioned in a text of China describing the medicinal uses of culinary plants. Since 15th century, it has been known by its Chinese name. In 1800’s it was introduced to Europe. Nowadays, it is available in supermarkets all through North America. It is well known in Philippines where sizable Chinese immigrated pursuing the conquest of Spain of islands in 1500’s. It is cultivated in several Canadian province and United States.
Health Benefits of Bok Choy
Bok choy is regarded a one of the top anti-inflammatory foods which also shows anti-cancer activity and supports digestion. Though Bok choy looks like celery, it belongs to the member of cabbage family and features like romaine lettuce. Botanically it is called Brassica rapa chinensis and is a part of powerful vegetable group known as cruciferous vegetables which also includes kale, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and collard greens. It is also known as white cappage. It contains adequate amount of nutrients which is beneficial to maintain healthy body. One serving provides 250 milligrams of fiber which is helpful to treat digestive problems. It is packed with Vitamin C, K and A that is essential for immune system, protein production and maintain vision health. It also contains magnesium, potassium, iron and calcium which boost overall health.
- Strengthen bones
Bok choy has a great impact on mineral density and bone structure. The minerals such as magnesium, zinc, iron and calcium are present in Bok choy that prevents the chances of osteoporosis and makes the bone stable as well as strong for upcoming years. Moreover, it has high content of Vitamin K which is related with lowering the chances of bone fractures in old ages. Bok choy contains zinc, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus and iron which maintain structure of bone. Zinc and iron has vital role in production as well as maturation of collagen. Calcium and phosphorus should be balanced for proper mineralization of bones. The deficiency of Vitamin K is related with high chances of bone fracture.
- Promotes circulation
Iron is a vital part for the production of red blood cells. People could add Bok choy to the diet to get enough iron in the diet. Adequate amount of iron results in proper oxygenation and circulation of vital organ systems in the body.
- Speeds up healing process
Vitamin K being a vital part of the diet is associated with heart health and bone strength. It is also regarded as blood clotting agent. The people with excess bleeding such as unusually heavy menstruation or hemorrhoids should consume Bok choy.
- Prevention of cancer
Bok choy possesses sulfur based compounds which are associated with lowering the risk of cancer development. These compounds acts as antioxidants and eradicate free radicals before they causes mutation of healthy cells into cancerous cells. It eliminates oxidative stress in organ system and tissues. The studies show that the consumption of cruciferous vegetables lowers the chances of development of prostate, lung, breast and colon cancer. Body converts glucosinolates into isothiocyanates which help to counteract cancer. This vegetable contains folate which plays a vital role in synthesis of DNA and also repairment. It prevents mutation of DNA cells into cancer cells. Vitamin A, Vitamin C and beta carotene acts as antixoidants that protects cells from damage caused by free radicals. Selenium plays a role in function of liver enzymes that assist in detoxification of cancer causing compounds in the body. It prevents inflammation and lower tumor growth rates. Fiber assists in movement of stools that keeps bowel healthy and lowers the chances of developing colon cancer.
- Vision health
Bok choy contains Vitamin A which comprises of various carotenoids such as alpha carotene and beta carotene. Moreover, Vitamin A is related with eye health and prevents macular degeneration as well as oxidative stress in retina. The level of beta carotene is high in Bok choy that helps to prevent macular degeneration and helpful for the patients suffering from eye diseases that could cause loss of vision. Being an antioxidant, it prevents the chances of infection. Vitamin A effectively prevents cataracts, promote low light vision and treat dry eyes as well as other eye problems.
- Healthy heart
Bok choy possesses Vitamin B6 and folic acid which is associated with improvement in strengthening heart. It lowers homocysteine level in blood which indicates heart diseases as well as other cardiovascular problems. In addition, Bok choy contains minerals which regulates heart functions, ensures appropriate blood pressure, lower stroke, heart attack and atherosclerosis. The presence of Vitamin C, potassium, folate and Vitamin B6 maintains heart health by lowering cholesterol level. The study shows that consumption of potassium lower the chances of death from heart diseases. Folate and Vitamin B6 prevents buildup of homocysteine which could damage blood vessels and result in heart problems.
- Strengthen immunity
Bok choy has vitamin C which promotes function of immune system. It stimulates white blood cells productions and also acts as antioxidant that prevents oxidative stress as well as chronic diseases from the body. Vitamin C is essential for collagen production that assists in recovery and healing process of the cells in the body. It is antioxidants which boost immune system. Bok choy also contains selenium which stimulates production of killer T-cells. Addition of Bok choy to the diet helps to eliminate common illness.
- Acts as antioxidant
Bok choy provides 34 percent of daily recommended value of Vitamin C per cup. Being an antioxidant, Vitamin C protects cells from damage by eradicating free radicals which result from vital chemical processes. Vitamin A is a broad term referring to a group of related substances. Some are absorbed easily by the body and utilized as vitamin A. Third group comprises of carotenoids which acts as antioxidants instead of Vitamin A. It consists of zeaxanthin and lutein which acts as antioxidants that protects eyes and reduces the chances of macular degeneration.
- Cure skin problems
Vitamin C is a vital nutrient that supports collagen production. Vitamin C acts as antioxidant that prevents damage caused due to smoke, pollution and sun. It promotes the ability of collagen to smooth wrinkles and promote overall texture of skin. The consumption of vegetables and fruits is related with lowering the chances of heart problems. High intake of plant foods such as Bok choy lowers the chance of diabetes, obesity and heart diseases which promotes healthy complexion as well as hair health.
- Useful for pregnant women
Bok choy is a great source of folate which is vital during pregnancy. Folate is required double during this time period due to the rapid division and growth of cells. Consume adequate amount of foods rich in folate and folic acid to prevent the risk of birth defects such as anencephaly and spina bifida and provides numerous health benefits for the pregnant mother as well as baby.
Types of Bok Choy
There are numerous varieties of Bok Choy in Chinese delicacies. Down below is simply a small sample of the numerous existing types.
1. F1 Hybrid Sweet Bok Choy
2. F1 Hybrid Dwarf Bok Choy
Outstanding hybrid variety, small & limited body, very uniform along with dark green, wrinkly leaves as well as thicker white stems. About 4-5 inches tall. High temperature & cold tolerance. Crop in 45 days. Higher Productiveness and high produces.
3. Dwarf Bok Choy
4. Extra Dwarf Bok Choy
5. Tall Bok Choy
6. F1 Hybrid Taiwan Bok Choy
F1 Hybrid Taiwan Bok Choy type, larger & weightier compared to equivalent O.P. variety, along with moderate green leaves as well as flat, white-colored petioles. Prepared in 35 days soon after planting. Crop 12-14 inches taller.
7. Taiwan Bok Choy
8. Huo Guo Chai
9. F1 Hybrid Joi Choi
Vibrant green leaves along with extended heavy white petioles. Extremely profitable well-known Chinese veggie. Powerful potential to deal with cold and heat. Sluggish bolting and ideal consistency. Develops in 50 days.
11. Hanakan, Hybrid
This particular small Japanese Pak Choi Hybrid is better recognized for its excellent consistency as well as earlier maturation. It’s got really short green petioles which are thicker and durable, helping the dark green oblong leaf. The Hanakan variety might be planted year-round in hotter areas. It can handle heat perfectly, ongoing its energetic development, yet are not able to use the colder temperatures and may even bolt at the beginning of springtime once the weather conditions are cold. Hanakan is turned out to be utilized for Baby Shanghai Pak Choy (Shanghai Miao). Just like various other types of Pak Choi (Bok Choy or Pak Choy) Hanakan is ideal for stir-fries, curries as well as soups. Sow seeds in spring after danger of most frost to late summer.
12. Mei Qing Choi, Hybrid
This is actually the very first hybrid green stem dwarf Shanghai pak choi produced along with heat/cold tolerance as well as bolt resistance. It features a standard, assemble, small, limited vase-shape growing habit as well as weighs 1/4 lb each. The petioles usually are delicious, sharp as well as sensitive. It is just a good option for home as well as field developing. With a broad growing versatility, it is ideal for spring as well as fall sowings, as well as in cool regions summer sowing can also be probable.
13. Petite Star, Hybrid
This particular well-known baby shanghai pak choi(Shanghai Miao) develops rapidly as well as matures earlier. Harvest whenever 4-5″ tall, this kind of dwarf-type hybrid is small and it has excellent weight. Whenever cooked, its soft green leaves as well as crispy green petioles have got outstanding taste. It may endure warm and cool temperature ranges. Outstanding variety for fresh market and residential gardens.
14. San Fan, Hybrid
This particular well-liked green pak choi or even Shanghai pak choi hybrid has thicker dark green leaves and light green petioles which are in the shape of an hourglass. It really is earlier growing along with uniform plant development and ideal tolerance to heat. It adjusts well to many areas supplied temperatures remain in the 50-80°F range. A soft, simple to grow variety together with outstanding taste as well as consistency.
This specific green stem variety is extremely common in South China. It has an appealing hourglass form along with shiny dark green leaves as well as thick petioles which are soft and incredibly scrumptious. It really is higher producing as well as recognized for its heat tolerance.
16. Fun Jen, Hybrid
This can be a extremely popular frilly leaf pak choi or even “Bok Choy” in Taiwan. The plant is semi-spreading as well as weighs 1/2 pound at maturation. The foliage is green, frilly and also old and wrinkly along with smooth white petioles. Could be cultivated year-round in sub-tropical areas. The foliage is really soft and also crisp and could be prepared in stir-fry or even included with soup.
17. Golden Yellow, Hybrid
The color of the pak choi lives as much as its title! The foliage is vibrant yellowish-green that includes color contrast to fresh as well as cooked dishes. Additionally it is known as Kinkoh hybrid variety in Japan. The leaf texture is a lot softer compared to various other pak choi (bok choy) types however the taste is comparable to pak choi types. Plants have got a standard fan-pattern shape as well as development. This particular variety is warmth tolerant and could be developed year-round within sub-tropical to exotic areas. Not suggested for low temperature areas. Harvest in 25 days or whenever plant gets to preferred maturation. This particulars really a mild-tasting green as well as provides a fragile taste to salads, stir-fries as well as rich stocks. Excellent option for growing in home based gardens as well as for industrial manufacturing. Could be cultivated as micro-greens.
18. Purple Choi, Hybrid
A popular baby leaf pak choi in Japan, this particular variety is gaining interest everywhere else. This particular hybrid dark purple leaf pak choi has got green petioles and is also as spectacular within the garden as in the plate. A standard and simple to cultivate plant which is sensitive, slightly flavored and could be harvested at any stage baby leaves for salads or even whole plants at full maturation (6-8″ tall) to cook.
19. Red Choi, Hybrid
This particular unique hybrid pak choi has dark red leaves along with green undersides. At maturation the petioles are light green. It features a wonderful taste. A colorful accessory for a microgreens mix. Harvest as baby leaf and also at full maturation.
20. Red Tatsoi, Hybrid
21. Red Violet, Hybrid
This particular stunning hybrid has got the spoon shaped leaves of tatsoi along with a much more vertical habit which makes harvesting simpler. The somewhat rumpled leaves range colored from red-violet to dark purple and also have a mild mustard taste. A powerful and energetic manufacturer, this variety is cold resistant. Harvest from baby leaves for salads to full maturation.
22. Da Cheong Chae, Hybrid
This particular variety has characteristics of both Tatsoi as well as Pak Choi-round, dark green leaves as well as an vertical development habit. Harvest individual leaves for salad or even the whole plant to cook. Could be cultivated throughout the year in moderate climate areas.
23. Dwarf 4″, Hybrid
This specific hybrid baby bok choi is usually known as nai pe tsai type or even dwarf type along with thicker white spoon-shaped petioles as well as old and wrinkly dark green glossy leaves. This particular stunning uniform demonstration is matched by its scrumptious, crisp taste. It is heat resistant and it has much better bolt resistance compared to numerous open pollinated types. Bred for high productiveness and high yields.
24. Extra Dwarf Pak Choi
This kind of specialized pak choi variety is smaller compared to baby pak choi. It’s just like our Chinese Pak Choi as well as Dwarf Pak Choi types even though smaller sized and much more small. This kind of fast growing variety has got curled, glossy, dark green leaves along with short, thick white petioles. Could be cultivated year-round in sub-tropical areas.
The appealing leaves of the pak choi have got a special soup-spoon shape. The 18″ white stalks and glossy green foliage is higher and much less small compared to Chinese pak choi types, and also the flavor is much more focused. This particular variety has superb ability to tolerate both cold and heat. Abundant with vitamins, Taisai is very well-known both in Japanese and Chinese delicacies.
This specific pak choi forms a set rosette near to the ground along with soft dark green, spoon-shaped leaves as well as short light green stalks. This particular very energetic grower is cold resistant and it has a tasty, gentle as well as mustard taste. In hot weather, the plant is erect whilst in cold temperature, the plant forms flat rosettes. Tatsoi is common as a salad green. Plants could be gathered at any phase.
27. Choi Sum
A lesser, much more fragile variety of bok choy, the choi sum plant creates little, yellow flowers in the centre of every stalk. Occasionally mistaken for baby bok choy, this Asian vegetable more closely resembles celery in shape as well as color. This particular variety is really a cool weather veggie, yet continual temperatures less than 55 F may cause the flowers to bolt, or move to seed.
Chin-chiang, a fast-growing dwarf variety of bok choy, is probably the hardiest kinds of Chinese cabbage. Developing to simply about 8 inches, it may endure heat, rain, cold as well as wetness. This particular variety, which develops in roughly Thirty days, features sleek, medium-sized leaves which are light pea-green in color. The stalks are generally squat as well as wide, different in color from pale green to white.
- Bok choy helps to calm fever and also soothe cough.
- The water content in it helps to quench thirst.
- Crush and apply it to minor rashes.
- It is used to treat skin problems such as rashes, allergy, eczema, pimples and acne.
- It prevents the chances of osteoporosis.
- It improves immunity and counteracts infections.
- Bok choy contains both soluble and insoluble fibers that help to support digestion.
- Bok Choy also lowers chronic inflammation.
- Consume it regularly to lower body weight and prevent obesity.
- Bok Choy provides relief from anxiety, stress, tension and stimulate mental health.
- It promotes hair growth and prevent hair fall.
- It contains glucosinolates which is reported to be harmful when used excessively.
- Bok choy contains goitrogens so its prolong consumption could result in swelling of thyroid gland which is known as goiter.
- Consume it in moderate amounts.
How to Eat
- It could be added raw to salads.
- Add chopped leaves and stalks to the soup.
- In Korea, Bok choy is pickled which is known as Kimchi.
- It could be steamed or boiled and stir fry it to release best flavors.
- Sautéed Bok choy with garlic and ginger.
- Sauté Bok choy with mushrooms and snow peas.
- Few drops of tamari soy sauce could be added to Bok choy recipe.
- Mix sautéed Bok choy with chicken or tofu.
- Stir fry Bok choy with the mixture of broccoli, carrots, garlic, yellow onions, scallions and ginger.
- Sauté ginger and garlic in olive oil till soft then add bok choy and continue to sauté.
- Make homemade dumpling filling by mixing minced bok choy, soy sauce, chives and mushrooms.
- Bok Choy could be loved raw, by simply including it into salad, burgers, sandwiches etc
- Bok Choy can also be ideal for including stews, stir fries, as well as soups!
- You may even utilize Bok Choy just as one ingredient in stuffing!
- Bok Choy goes remarkably well whenever combined with Capsicum, Garlic, Ginger, Onion, Chilies along with other kinds of Cabbage!
- Add cut bok choy or even baby bok choy in your preferred salad for the new layer of flavor.
- Fill raw bok choy stalks along with whatever you would utilize to fill celery sticks. Try out peanut butter, cream cheese or guacamole.
- A Simply Stylish Side. Cut some baby bok choy in half and braise with a mixture of your favorite stock, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce and red pepper flakes for an elegant side dish.
- Add raw stalks of bok choy in your favorite vegetable tray.
- Include chopped bok choy as well as onion to the leftover meat as well as pre-cooked veggie or perhaps rice mixture after that include a fry pan over medium-high heat. Struggle one egg for each individual to be served, as well as toss over the veggie-meat mixture. Mix it all up as well as stir.
- Cut baby bok choy in two, drizzle along with olive oil as well as toss it around the grill. Add only a sprinkle of salt, turn once and savor.
- Make use of the tops of bok choy leaves just as one appealing garnish whenever serving snacks at the next party or even get-together.
- Besides its tempting taste as well as lively color, bok choy is ideal for including last-minute nutrition to homemade or even canned soups.
- Make an Asian-inspired stir-fry utilizing chicken, snow peas, peppers, onion as well as bok choy. Clean the stalks then provide them with a rough chop just before contributing to the wok.
Lemon Garlic Sauteed Bok Choy Recipe
- 1 pound baby bok choy
- 1 ½ tbsp. of extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- Half of a lemon (cut into wedges)
- Sea salt
- Eliminate discolored outer stalks of Bok choy. Put Bok choy into colander and then rinse it with cool water by rubbing dirt or grit between leaves. Cut bok choy in half lengthwise after trimming ends.
- In a skillet, add oil, red pepper flakes and garlic. Cook by placing over medium heat. Stir sometimes till oil forms bubble around garlic but before garlic turns light brown.
- Toss bok choy and spread to one layer. Sprinkle ¼ tsp. of salt and then cook till the bottom turns brown without stirring for about two minutes. Flip it and cook for next more two minutes or till the green leaves becomes wilted and white bottoms begins to soften with some crunch.
- Squeeze two lemon wedges on top after transferring to a platter. Add some teaspoon of olive oil.
Bok Choy stir fry with Tomato-Ginger sauce
- 4 Roma tomatoes (Coarsely chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp. of gingerroot (minced)
- 1/2 tsp. of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. or rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. of tamari
- 1 tbsp. of coconut oil, divided
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1/2 pound sliced pork
- 6 heads baby bok choy (quartered)
- 1 cup yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- 4 cups of cooked brown rice
- Blend ginger, tomatoes, vinegar, garlic, tamari, cayenne and honey in a blender till it becomes smooth.
- Put half tablespoon of coconut oil in a large heavy skillet and stir fry pork until done.
- Set it aside.
- Heat the skillet again and add remaining coconut oil.
- Stir fry onions and Bok choy together till just cooked.
- Remove it from pan.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Then add blended tomato-ginger sauce.
- While cooking, stir it till the sauce thickens and then add bok choy, meat and onions.
- Stir till it becomes evenly coated and heated through.
- Serve it with brown rice.