|Potato Skin Quick Facts|
|Health benefits||Lose weight, Strengthen immunity, Prevention from cancer, Reduce bad cholesterol, Lower heart ailments|
Since 1970s and early as 1974, potato skins are used as an appetizer in restaurants. Restaurants such as Prime Rib Restaurant, R.J. Grunts of Lettuce Entertain You Enterprise claims to be a part of pioneer list of first restaurants which serve potato skins.
Health Benefits of Potato skin
Along with potatoes, its skin also provides various benefits to the health that are discussed below:
- Lose weight
Potatoes contain high content of carbohydrates which has a vital role in managing weight. Besides this, potato peel possess nominal amount of fat, sodium and cholesterol. Due to this reason, it is a brilliant choice to make potato peel the part of weight loss diet.
- Strengthen immunity
Potato peel has potent vitamin C which acts as antioxidant. B-complex vitamin as well as calcium is also present in potato skin which has a vital role in promoting immune activity and maintains healthy defense system.
- Prevention from cancer
Potato skin has high content of phytochemicals which possess antioxidant activity. Moreover, it has high content of chlorogenic acid which binds with carcinogen and prevents body from cancer.
- Reduce bad cholesterol
It has high content of fiber with antioxidants, glycoalkaloids and polyphenols which promotes cholesterol lowering effect on the body. In order to reap these benefits, one should consume unpeeled potatoes in the diet.
- Lower heart ailments
Potato peel offer high amount of potassium which is a vital mineral which reduces the chances of stroke and heart attack. It has vital role to lower blood pressure and maintain heart health. Potato skin is rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Normalize blood sugar
Add potato peels to the meals as it is rich in fiber and also contain other required nutrients for prevention of surging blood sugar levels in the body. The long term use of consuming potato skin assist in preventing type 2 diabetes and heart diseases.
- Heal burns
Potato peel effectively heals skin burns. Additionally, it acts as antibacterial agent which assists to moisturize skin and acts as conventional dressings for minor burns.
- Lighten marks
Potato peel offers phenolic, antibacterial and antioxidant compounds which have mild bleaching action. Rub peeled potato skin over dark spots such as sun tan and dark circles. Its regular use provides skin lightening properties.
- Energize body
Potato skin provides energy to the body. Potato peel contains two essential elements such as niacin and vitamin B3 which promotes bodily energy. Niacin converts carbohydrates into energy. Due to this reason, people with high consumption of potatoes possess high power.
- Treat anemia
Potato peel prevents the chances of less blood such as the condition of anemia. The consumption of potato peel assures high intake of iron. Some iron found in potato peel helps to maintain a stable blood.
- Cut potato peel and mix it with little milk for making thick paste. Apply this paste to the skin and leave it for about 15 to 30 minutes.
- In milk, soak potato peels and add slight yogurt and let it remain overnight. The next morning, blend this mixture. Put some turmeric and apply it to the face. It eliminates dark patches on skin.
- Grind the dried potato peel and use it with honey as a face pack.
- Potato peel broth is useful for flue, electrolytic imbalance and hypertension.
- Boil potato skins in water for five minutes. Use this decoction to treat rheumatism, hypertension and other health problems.
- People having venereal diseases and prone to aphrodisiac tendencies should not consume potatoes because it possess alkaloid toxin that affects sexual organs.
- Allergic people should also avoid it.
How to Eat
- Slice potato peel into small pieces and fry them to make fries. Serve it with homemade tomato sauce.
- Prepare tea from potato peel.