|Navel Orange Quick Facts|
|Scientific Name:||Citrus sinensis|
|Origin||South East Asia from southern China but is today grown commercially worldwide in tropical, semi-tropical and some warm temperate regions|
|Colors||Green when young ripens to orange or yellow|
|Shapes||Globose to oval about 6.5 to 9.5 cm wide|
|Flesh colors||Ranges in color from yellow to yellow-orange|
|Health benefits||Helps Prevent Cancer, Control Your Diabetes, Heart Healthy, Better Skin|
Valencia orange, Blood orange, Navel orange, Orange, Sweet orange, Jaffa orange, Naranja orange, Portugal orange and China orange are few of the popular common names of the plant. Genus name is from classical Latin. The specific epithet sinensis means “from China”, and refers to the center of early domestication of this plant. The common name orange entered the English language via the Old French orenge, a derivative of the Arabic name for this plant nāranj.
Navel Orange is a small, shallow-rooted evergreen shrub or tree that grows about 7.5 m high and in some cases up to 15 m with an enclosed conical top and mostly spiny branch. The plant is found growing in fertile, light to medium, well-drained, deep, loose loams; soils with a high water table should be avoided. The species is sensitive to excess salts; pH range of 5-8 is preferred. The tree is commonly cultivated for its fruit in warm temperate, subtropical and tropical zones. It prefers a prominent change in the seasons and so is not so suited to the tropics, where it is grown more as a garden tree, but is widely grown commercially in the subtropics. Twigs are angled when young, often with thick spines.
Slender spines may be found at the leaf axils, particularly on new growth. The glossy, aromatic leaves are alternate, with narrowly winged-petioles and are 6.5-15 cm long and 2.5-9.5 cm wide; the shape of blades ranges from elliptical, oblong to oval, bluntly toothed and they emit a strong characteristic citrus odor due to the presence of copious oil. Their petioles are winged.
Flowers are white, fragrant. Petals are hairless, about 1.6-1.8 cm long and 6-7 mm wide, oil dots are yellowish, large and prominent, readily visible to the naked eye on the outer surface of the petals. Stamens are about 22-25, staminal filaments about 0.8-1.0 cm long. Disk is at the base of the ovary, inside the whorl of staminal filaments. Flowering normally takes place from March and May.
Fertile flowers are followed by depressed globular to patelliform fruit, about 7-11 cm in diameter, surface smooth or slightly pitted. Fruit consists of two distinct regions, the pericarp also called the peel, skin or rind, and the endocarp, or pulp and juice sacs. The skin consists of an epidermis of epicuticular wax with numerous small aromatic oil glands that gives it its particular smell. They are green when young ripens to orange or yellow. The flesh or pulp of the fruit is typically juicy and sweet, divided into 10 to 14 segments (although there are seedless varieties) and ranges in color from yellow to orange to red. Seeds are few to several, cuneate-ovoid with rough-marginate plane surfaces, white inside, and polyembryonic.
The origin of sweet orange is rather unclear, but it is probably native to southern China and Vietnam as the plant has been cultivated in those countries for thousands of years. The tree was first brought to Europe after the year 1400 and much later to America. Today it is the most cultivated citrus fruit in the world and 70% of all citrus fruits are oranges. More than 40 million tones are produced each year, mostly in Brazil, USA, China, Italy, Spain, and Portugal.
Health benefits of Navel Oranges
Navel oranges are one of the healthiest fruits you can eat, filled with Vitamin C, fiber, potassium and low in calories. Consuming navel oranges more often may protect against heart disease, cancer and diabetes while also helping to improve memory, blood pressure, immune system and overall health. Listed below are few of the popular health benefits of Navel oranges
1. Helps Prevent Cancer
Navel oranges are wonderful sources of both Vitamin C and hesperidin. These two antioxidants are recognized to help prevent the formation of free radicals – which are known to cause cancer. Vitamin C content is particularly important because a lack of Vitamin C has been shown to help tumors survive. So if you want to help prevent cancer, make sure you eat an orange.
2. Control Your Diabetes
Navel oranges are a great source of fiber! This can help lower your cholesterol which in turn helps make your diabetes easier to control. Additionally, researches have shown that if you’re a Type I diabetic, consuming a high-fiber diet helps lower your overall glucose levels. And for Type II diabetics, it can improve your blood sugars and insulin levels.
Not only that, but getting so much fiber improves your digestion and helps you feel fuller longer. Meaning you’re less likely to attack the pantry for sugary and unhealthy snacks.
3. Heart Healthy
Navel oranges are high in potassium. And an increase in potassium can help support heart health and decrease the risk of things like stroke and heart attacks. Potassium also decreases your risk of heart disease.
Additionally, navel oranges help lower your cholesterol and your blood pressure, which is great for your heart health and for preventing heart problems.
4. Better Skin
Navel oranges are good for your skin, helping to protect from skin damage caused by the sun and pollution. They also reduce wrinkles and improve overall skin texture.
And, as mentioned earlier, Vitamin C helps increase collagen production, which is important for keeping your skin healthy and wrinkle-free.
Traditional uses and benefits of Navel Oranges
- The fruit is considered a wonderful appetizer and blood purifier.
- It is used to alleviate thirst in people with fevers and also treats catarrh.
- Fruit juice is valuable in the treatment of bilious affections and bilious diarrhea.
- Fruit rind is carminative and tonic.
- Fresh rind is rubbed on the face as a cure for acne.
- Dried peel is used in the treatment of anorexia, colds, coughs etc.
- It cures male infertility and promotes sperm healthy.
- Its juice reduces the risk of kidney diseases and prevents the formation of kidney stones.
- It is a rich source of iron and vitamin c and helps in treating anemia.
- Juice extracted from sweet orange leaves are used to control ulcers, sores etc.
- It is used in folk medicine for treating neurological disorders.
- Daily consumption of sweet orange helps to minimize the formation of calcium oxalate that causes kidney stones.
- Sweet orange protects the skin from damage caused by free radicals, thus keeping the skin glowing.
- Oil obtained from orange peels, flowers, twigs and leaves can be used as an essential oil for manufacturing perfumes, detergents and body creams.
- Sweet orange leaves can be decocted with Carica papaya leaf, Magnifera indica leaf and Psidum guajava leaf for tackling malaria.
- Due to its rich constituent of vitamin C, sweet orange can be consumed regularly to keep fever and catarrh at bay.
- Roasted orange pulp can be prepared as a poultice and used for treating skin diseases.
- Immature orange fruit can be infused and taken to relieve stomach and intestinal problems.
- Dried orange leaves and flowers can be decocted and taken as a remedy for flatulence, a cardiac sedative and for preventing vomiting (antiemetic).
- Decocted dried orange leaves can be taken as an emmenogogue for stimulating and increasing menstrual flow.
- Decocted dried orange leaves can be applied on sores and used to tackle ulcers.
- Decoction of the leaves with salt is taken orally for digestive tract ailments, nerve disorders, fever, asthma, blood pressure, general fatigue and vomiting.
- Crushed leaves or fruit juice is massaged into the skin to relieve itching.
- Fruit juice or leaf decoction with sugar is taken orally for cold and loss of appetite, while crushed leaf decoction as a bath relieves headache and rheumatism.
- Macerated root, leaf or fruit mesoderm is taken orally for urethritis.
- Macerated fruit mesoderm or bark decoction is taken orally for liver ailments.
- Broken bones are massaged with roasted fruit.
Ayurvedic Health benefits of Navel Oranges
- Acid Re flux: Take a fresh Sweet Orange. Extract the juice. Add a pinch Cumin powder in it and drink. It gives instant relief.
- Diphtheria: Take a glass of Orange juice daily.
- Aging: Have citric fruits Orange in your diet to remove Aging.
- Diabetes: Take Orange juice daily to cure Diabetes.
- Beri Beri: Have Orange juice to cure Beri Beri.
- Anorexia: Peel off the skin of Orange. Sprinkle Black salt. It will increase the appetite.
- Immunity Booster: Taking one glass of Orange juice daily provides strength to the body.
- Chicken pox: Apply Orange peel over the marks.
- Stomach Ulcers: Having Orange juice daily provide relief in Stomach Ulcers.
- Cataract: Drink 1 glass of Orange juice daily.
- Fever: Drink a cup of Orange juice once in a day.
- Malaria: Drink 1 glass Orange juice whenever feels thirsty.
- Measles: Consume Orange either in raw or juice form. It helps to cure Measles.
- Cracked Heels: Take 4 to 5 tablespoons Oil. Add equal quantity of Rock Salt. Mix. Open 2 slices of Orange from mid. Dip in the oil and rub on heels for 15 minutes. Rinse with cold water.
- Gingivitis: Rub the peel of Orange over your Gums. OR: Eat 2 Oranges daily.
- Scurvy: Include Orange in your diet either in raw or juice form.
- Yellow Teeth: Rub Orange peel on your teeth. It helps in whitening your Teeth.
- Cicatrix: Soak the Orange peel in warm water for 10-15 minutes. Wash your face with it.
- Yellow teeth: Have Citrus rich fruits in diet. OR: Rub the peel of Lemon juice to the teeth.
- Dark Underarms: Take out the Orange peel and dry it in sun for few days. Powdered it and mix well with Milk and Rose water to make a paste. Wash after 15-20 minutes with cold water. OR: Take Orange peel from the market,
- Hematoma: Increase the intake of citrus fruit like Orange, Grapefruits, Strawberries, Papaya, and Apricot in daily diet.
- Melasma: Apply juice of Orange over affected parts. Rinse after 20 minutes. OR: Dry Orange peels in shade. Grind them. Make a paste by adding Rosewater. Apply it over discolored skin for half an hour. Rinse with normal water.
- Blood Pressure: Take a glass of Orange Juice every day. If problem is huge, have 2 glass a day.
- Oligospermia: Drink a glass of Orange juice 2 or 3 times a day. It removes chemical from blood and increases the quantity of sperms.
- Skin Tan: Grind the pulp of an Orange. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of Milk in it. Mix well. Apply to the affected Skin. Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes. Wash off. Do this daily for 2 weeks.
- Nasal Polyps: Consume one glass of Orange juice daily.
- Pellagra: Drink a glass of Orange juice 2 times a day.
- Alcoholism: Mix few drops of Capsicum tincture with Orange peel tincture and water. Drink twice a day.
- Alcoholism: Prepare a decoction of 1 tsp. of chopped Reishi Mushrooms, 1 tsp. of dried Ginger root, 1 tsp. of dried Orange peel in 3 cups of water. Add honey. Drink twice a day.
- Age Spots: Mix one tsp. of Apple Cider Vinegar with 1/2 tsp. of Orange juice. Apply on the affected area.
- Nausea: Take few seeds of Cardamom, a small piece of Ginger, Licorice, Orange peel, Coriander seeds and a pinch of Black Pepper. Simmer in half cup of water covered for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and then add Black Tea. Steep for 2-3 minutes. Strain and drink. You can also add Milk and Honey to add taste.
- Blood Clots: Eat an Orange every day.
- Paralysis: Grind the bark of Drumstick with Orange peels. Add two tablespoon of Nutmeg juice. Take regularly.
- Hysteria: Grind Drumstick bark and take with 2 tablespoon juice of Orange peel juice and Nutmeg. Take thrice a day.
- Paralysis: Take 2 tablespoons powdered orange rind, 2 tablespoons powdered horseradish root bark and 1 teaspoon Nutmeg Juice. Mix all ingredients. Have half teaspoon once a day.
- Hysteria: Powder the Horseradish root. Add 5 drops of Orange juice and Nutmeg juice in half teaspoon powder and take once a day.
- Bronchitis: Add 1 tsp. Almond powder in a cup of Orange juice. Drink it every night. It helps in getting relief from Phlegm.
- Age Spots: Mix 2 tsp. freshly prepared juice of Orange, Parsley leaves and Lemon. Apply it on the freckles.
- Age Spots: Take one tablespoon Orange juice. Add one teaspoon Yogurt. Mix. Apply on the face. Let it dry and then wash with cold water.
- Frizzy Hair: Take 4 Tablespoon Henna Powder, 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice, 1 tablespoon Cucumber Juice, 1 tablespoon Orange Juice. Put all ingredients in a bowl. Mix. Apply on hair twice a month.
- Constipation: Take half cup of Orange juice. Add equal amount of Olive juice in it. Drink this to get rid of Constipation.
- Arthritis: Take a glass of Orange juice. Add 1 tsp. Cod Liver Oil in it. Drink once a day.
- Dry Lips: Take equal drops of Lemon juice, Orange juice and half tablespoon of Honey. Mix. Apply to the chapped lips daily.
- Dry Lips: Take 10-12 tablespoons of Cocoa Butter, 10 drops of Carrot Seed Oil, 5-7 drops of Sweet Orange Oil and 4 tablespoons of Jojoba Oil. Melt Cocoa Butter with Jojoba Oil. Now remove from heat and add other Oils. Your soothing lip balm is ready. Store it in a jar.
- Grey Hair: Peel an Orange and remove the outer skin. Mash the pulp in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of Indian Gooseberry powder. Apply over hair for 2 hours. Rinse with normal water. Use it twice a week.
- Peeling Skin: Take half cup Orange Juice and 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice. Purchase a packet of unflavored Gelatin from market. Mix juices and add Gelatin. Heat until Gelatin dissolves. Let it cool. Apply it over affected parts for half an hour. Rinse with cold water. Do it twice a day.
- Yellow Teeth: Powder dried Orange peels. Add Olive oil in half teaspoon of powdered peels to make paste. Rub your teeth with this mixture 3 to 4 times a week.
- Stomach Ache: Take One teaspoon each of dried Orange Peel, Fennel Seed and Angelica Root. Add this mixture in 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer in a covered pan for 8-10 minutes and drink warm.
- Melasma: Take 1/2 teaspoon dried, powdered orange peels, 1 teaspoon Corn Flour, 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil, 1 teaspoon Yogurt. Mix all. Beat well. Apply over affected area. Let it dry. Wash with normal water.
- Age Spots: Take 2 tablespoon Frankincense Oil, 2 tablespoon Common Juniper Oil, 2 tablespoon Rosemary, 2 tablespoon Patchouli Oil, 2 tablespoon Rose, 2 tablespoon Orange Oil, 2 tablespoon Lavender Oil, 2 tablespoon Chamomile Oil and 2 tablespoon Almond Oil. Mix all oils. Heat for 10 minutes. Cool. Store in a bottle. Massage it over age spots for 5 minutes daily. It removes age spots effectively.
- Age Spots: Take 10 gram Rosewood Oil,10 gram Myrrh Oil, 10 gram Chamomile Oil, 10 gram Orange Oil, 10 gram Mandarin Orange Oil, 10 gram Patchouli Oil and 10 gram Sage Oil. Put all ingredients in a vessel. Heat for 5 minutes. Store in a glass bottle. Massage over affected area with this preparation for 10 minutes.
- Blemishes: Take 2 teaspoons of Orange peel powder and mix with One teaspoon each of Yogurt and Honey. Spread evenly on your face and let it dry. Follow this remedy at least twice a week.
- Hair Care: Take 100 gram Orange Peels, 100 gram Indigofera Linifolia, a small bottle of Psoralea, 3 to 4 pieces Camphor, 250 gram Indian Gooseberry Powder, 100 gram Bhringraj, 100 ml Almond Oil and 30 ml Brahmi Oil. All dried ingredients except Camphor place in a blender and blend coarsely. Now take 1 liter of your desired oil coconut oil and mustard oil preferable. Keep that oil on low flame. After 5 to 10 minutes, add all blended ingredients and oils too. Cover and wait until the ingredients turn to little dark. Switch off the flame. Add Camphor. Cool and store in a glass bottle. Use lukewarm oil 2 or 3 times a week for an hour. Use natural or mild shampoo to wash.
- Cold: Take 1 Orange, 1 cup Honey and 10 to 15 Cloves. Put sliced Orange and 10 to 15 Cloves in a Glass Jar. Add a cup of Honey in it. Mix them well. Close the Jar lid. Leave it for 2 to 3 hours. Have a spoon of it two times a day.
- Dull Skin: Mash 5-6 Grapes and mix this pulp with Orange juice. Apply this mixture on your face and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash it off with cold water. Use this mixture regularly for best results.
- Anxiety: Take half glass of Orange juice. Add a pinch of Nutmeg Powder and half tablespoon of Honey. Take it 2 times in a day.
- Fruit can be consumed raw.
- Juice is often extracted from the fruit and sold as a refreshing and healthy drink or used in jellies, ice cream etc.
- Rind of the fruit is often used as a flavoring in cakes etc. or made into marmalade.
- Flowers can be cooked as a vegetable or made into a tea.
- Sweet orange pulp is used for preparing fresh juice which is rich in protein content.
- Essential oil extracted from the peel of the fruits is used for flavoring drinks, ice-cream, pudding, desserts, chewing gum, and sweetmeats.
- Pectin, a setting agent, is made from the peel.
- Rind of the fruit is often candied and used as a flavoring in cakes etc. or made into marmalade.
- Oil extracted from the seeds is used as cooking oil.
- Semi-drying oil obtained from the seed is used in soap making.
- An essential oil from the peel is used as a food flavoring and also in perfumery and medicines.
- It is suitable as a small ornamental tree in the home landscape, Mediterranean garden, or edible garden.
- Peel of the fruit is used for making perfume and soaps.
- Single tree can in a year bear around 20,000 oranges.
- The orange blossom is the state flower of Florida.
- It has long been popular in bridal bouquets and head wreaths.
- Wood can be used for boards and paneling.
- It is a potential source of firewood.
- The plant starts flowering and bearing fruit after 3-5 years.
- Fruit maturation takes 9-12 months.